Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I did not write-off Addy. I merely pointed out that 1st picks can be very average to not very good, and DeGray may have traded Addy at his peak value.
Oke is not a dummy, I agree; so I expect he will want the best player offered ‘06 or ‘07.

I second this.

Some managers prefer to utilize players in deals. It tends to be a lot cleaner. Some prefer to use picks and hold on to players. Neither is right or wrong.

In this case, it stands out because the players dealt would not typically garner the type of return provided. It is natural to be somewhat sceptical, especially when you consider DeGray’s pedigree.

That is not to say there is a problem with Addy. It is just to suggest that Addy may not be the above average mid-1st type player. But, that doesn’t matter because the players traded don’t normally return above average 1st round players. It is very possible that Addy ends up being a middle roster forward with some upside of being a front line forward as a 19 year old. Many 1st round picks end up being that. There is nothing wrong with it. Those guys are usually five year players and stick around for an OA season. That may be better in some respects than a player like Martone that is likely a three year player. Potentially, a five year player like Addy may turn out to be, may be exactly the perfect player for the Petes window.

If that turns out to be true then OS would rather reap the rewards of players now through next year as opposed to one that will realize his potential as an 18-19-20 year old.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I second this.

Some managers prefer to utilize players in deals. It tends to be a lot cleaner. Some prefer to use picks and hold on to players. Neither is right or wrong.

In this case, it stands out because the players dealt would not typically garner the type of return provided. It is natural to be somewhat sceptical, especially when you consider DeGray’s pedigree.

That is not to say there is a problem with Addy. It is just to suggest that Addy may not be the above average mid-1st type player. But, that doesn’t matter because the players traded don’t normally return above average 1st round players. It is very possible that Addy ends up being a middle roster forward with some upside of being a front line forward as a 19 year old. Many 1st round picks end up being that. There is nothing wrong with it. Those guys are usually five year players and stick around for an OA season. That may be better in some respects than a player like Martone that is likely a three year player. Potentially, a five year player like Addy may turn out to be, may be exactly the perfect player for the Petes window.

If that turns out to be true then OS would rather reap the rewards of players now through next year as opposed to one that will realize his potential as an 18-19-20 year old.
The Attack have 2 other 16 yr old F who are progressing faster than they thought .
A player of Smiths calibre doesn't come along that often, and is exactly what the Attack needed
Addy has a ton of upside.
I think this is a case of both teams got who they need right now .

McCue was someone the Attack wanted as well, his grit is needed in the Midwest.

Matijecek wanted more ice time . Bringing in Big Rig would have reduced that even more, so it was a logical swap .

He looks solid enough and will be back next season .

Degray is an old school type manager. He still likes a straight up player trade .

He will have the 3rd round pick recovered by the time its due in '26.

cleodog

Aug 12, 2022
Is the draft pick database up to date? Saginaw had 1- 24 2nd and 2-25 2nd?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Could very well be Aiden Young, 3 2nds, 3 3rds. What a great job by Mike Oke to now have three ‘07 1st rounders to build around! Carson Cameron, Nico Addy and Aiden Young could be quite lethal for years to come!
Definitely a good job and they aren’t done yet could definitely see 5 plus picks and even another player or 2 added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad