Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Pete's likely won't replace their coach until the end of the year. Mostly because any decent coach is working right now so the labour pool is a little light. Now of course the other option is to promote an assistant but is that really going to change anything?
I mean on the surface, everything looks like it would be trending towards Wilson getting fired but if I was betting, I would still bet that Wilson won't get fired no matter what they do leading up to the break.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I mean on the surface, everything looks like it would be trending towards Wilson getting fired but if I was betting, I would still bet that Wilson won't get fired no matter what they do leading up to the break.
Agree. And as others have pointed out, most coaches are in the midst of a season right now and not available. It would be a matter of promoting Verner to interim HC, which I can't see changing anything.

I'm not sure what the answer is right now, but it sure seems like they need at least 2 defensemen. Smith is tough to play against, Mayer at times, but the rest don't seem to provide much difficulty for opposing teams. Lots of watching the play and not covering the forwards until it's too late and they've put the puck in.

It was a nice attempted comeback last night. Too bad Stillman had to take such a terrible penalty (which I was shocked wasn't a major-looked very dangerous) to kill any hope.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
100 percent agree I bet he is here until end of season. I wonder if Kurtis Foster would have any interest in taking the team over if Wilson was fired I know he’s with Arizona now but maybe he’s always wanted to be a head coach here in Peterborough.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I'm not sure what the answer is right now, but it sure seems like they need at least 2 defensemen. Smith is tough to play against, Mayer at times, but the rest don't seem to provide much difficulty for opposing teams. Lots of watching the play and not covering the forwards until it's too late and they've put the puck in.

It was a nice attempted comeback last night. Too bad Stillman had to take such a terrible penalty (which I was shocked wasn't a major-looked very dangerous) to kill any hope.
I was expecting a big season frmo Mccoy but it hasnt happened. Wonder if hes trade bait

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
If they let coach go, look for players wanting out. Some waived no trade to go to Pet and I dont think it was for your rink or city.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
100 percent agree I bet he is here until end of season. I wonder if Kurtis Foster would have any interest in taking the team over if Wilson was fired I know he’s with Arizona now but maybe he’s always wanted to be a head coach here in Peterborough.

Let's get real here, Wilson is not going to lose his job mid season or at the end of this season. The same goes for Oke. There has been a lot of over reaction on this site, the Petes are in a slump and there are a lot of good teams in the league. Maybe the Petes aren't as good as we thought they would be, let's hope that they get things together and go on a run.

Their defence needs an upgrade, they have a lot of scoring power on paper but they have to translate that in to goals. Another thing that barely gets mentioned is the fact that they need to add a veteran goalie. That is not a knock on Simpson or the two backups but if they expect to go deep in the playoffs it is a huge gamble to expect Simpson to carry the load alone. I am sure that Oke and Wilson know this and have something in mind.

One other thing, although I think that Oke has done a reasonably good job since taking over several years ago the trade for Stillman last year was a huge mistake. The Mctavish trade was necessary and a good one, but later in the day or maybe the next day they gave it all away to acquire Stillman. I could never understand that move, the Petes weren't a contender last year and could have secured a playoff spot without Stillman. Now when they need all of those draft picks the cupboard is bare.

Stillman has not been an asset to the team despite getting quality ice time. I don't want to put the blame on Chase Stillman, a teenager who has his eyes set on playing Pro like many others but things aren't working for him or the Petes and I don't see how it can be rectified now. Having expressed my thoughts I hope that the kid can get it together, help the Petes this year and go on to have a lengthy career in hockey.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Let's get real here, Wilson is not going to lose his job mid season or at the end of this season. The same goes for Oke. There has been a lot of over reaction on this site, the Petes are in a slump and there are a lot of good teams in the league. Maybe the Petes aren't as good as we thought they would be, let's hope that they get things together and go on a run.

Their defence needs an upgrade, they have a lot of scoring power on paper but they have to translate that in to goals. Another thing that barely gets mentioned is the fact that they need to add a veteran goalie. That is not a knock on Simpson or the two backups but if they expect to go deep in the playoffs it is a huge gamble to expect Simpson to carry the load alone. I am sure that Oke and Wilson know this and have something in mind.

One other thing, although I think that Oke has done a reasonably good job since taking over several years ago the trade for Stillman last year was a huge mistake. The Mctavish trade was necessary and a good one, but later in the day or maybe the next day they gave it all away to acquire Stillman. I could never understand that move, the Petes weren't a contender last year and could have secured a playoff spot without Stillman. Now when they need all of those draft picks the cupboard is bare.

Stillman has not been an asset to the team despite getting quality ice time. I don't want to put the blame on Chase Stillman, a teenager who has his eyes set on playing Pro like many others but things aren't working for him or the Petes and I don't see how it can be rectified now. Having expressed my thoughts I hope that the kid can get it together, help the Petes this year and go on to have a lengthy career in hockey.
i agree. nobody is going anywhere. this is just a big slump and i am fully confident and have feeling they are going to go on an insane run in the second half.

When it comes to Stillman I genuinely thought he was gonna take off and be over a point per game player with the Petes. He's gotta improve in the second half big time and prove why he should be on our first/second lines

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Agree with everything you said. A very well thought out post.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
i agree. nobody is going anywhere. this is just a big slump and i am fully confident and have feeling they are going to go on an insane run in the second half.

When it comes to Stillman I genuinely thought he was gonna take off and be over a point per game player with the Petes. He's gotta improve in the second half big time and prove why he should be on our first/second lines
Stillman gets knocked off the puck too easily. The guy can skate well and hit hard but is missing something. I really question the conditioning of some of the players to be honest.. Being outskated by Kitchener the first half of the game was embarrassing. I agree with an earlier comment that you have to sit guys who aren;t performing and play Lefebvre, McCue, Page. Coaching needs to take charge of this mess.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Nice to see Simpson (London kid) playing well. Even in last year's playoff loss to Hamilton, I could see his potential. 'Simpson' is a common surname but I wonder if he's related to former Knights great, Dave Simpson (played early 80s). In any case, I think you guys will give us another tough test this weekend.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Nice to see Simpson (London kid) playing well. Even in last year's playoff loss to Hamilton, I could see his potential. 'Simpson' is a common surname but I wonder if he's related to former Knights great, Dave Simpson (played early 80s). In any case, I think you guys will give us another tough test this weekend.
Petes fan are quite happy for Simpson too. He's been a great piece for us. We would have given you a harder test if we had Brennan Othmann and Connor Lockhart in the lineup but oh well

Reactions: nelli27

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

When it comes to Stillman I genuinely thought he was gonna take off and be over a point per game player with the Petes. He's gotta improve in the second half big time and prove why he should be on our first/second line
Can you imagine if Jersey sends him back next season. Can you envision the body language. It won't be pretty.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Just looked at tonight's lineup. Stillman is on your 3rd line? Is that normal? I assumed he'd be in your top 6.
The Petes' lines are shuffled so often that it doesn't necessarily mean anything. However Stillman took a penalty in their most recent game (against Kitchener) late in the game right when Petes were trying to tie it up. Maybe sending a message.....

Reactions: nelli27

snipes29

Sep 24, 2022
Stillman gets knocked off the puck too easily. The guy can skate well and hit hard but is missing something. I really question the conditioning of some of the players to be honest.. Being outskated by Kitchener the first half of the game was embarrassing. I agree with an earlier comment that you have to sit guys who aren;t performing and play Lefebvre, McCue, Page. Coaching needs to take charge of this mess.
Wont happen with Wilson, he doest even bench guys for stupid penalties??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad