Rumor: Pesce to New Jersey

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Thats wild - Hamilton is a near ppg defenseman when hes healthy; im sure the idea is to move him toward the end of his deal when Nemec is being paid or soon after
If you try and wait, the value you can get for a 9 mill aging hamilton will unfortunately end up being likely nothing, or even potentially negative.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If you try and wait, the value you can get for a 9 mill aging hamilton will unfortunately end up being likely nothing, or even potentially negative.
They didn’t sign him to trade him early to get out of the deal asap. He’s clearly a good fit for them and I’m sure they’d prefer to get every good year they can out of him over whatever small value they could get in a trade.

Everyone knows these deals age poorly. They pretty much all go that way. You get the value out of the player as best you can then deal with the consequences. He still has two good years in him easily, and he only has four years left.

Last edited:

dez

Mar 3, 2012
No tampering going on at all here /sarcasm. NJ trades away Marino before even talking to Pesce's Agent?

Edited: Obviously every GM is talking with agents without mentioning names, to skirt around the rules, which is why you see deals seconds after July 1. This one is just funny because Pesce to NJ has been rumored for weeks.

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
No tampering going on at all here, NJ trades away Marino before even talking to Pesce? Ya ok.
Dougie Hamilton continues to prove to be one of NJ's finest signings... in history.

Oh. I'm sorry... I'm supposed to agree with your delusions of grandeur. Yes. Much tampering. Super wow.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I mean if you're looking to not be in the playoffs for another few seasons go for it. We all saw what happens when you depend on young defenseman did for the devil's playoffs aspirations.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
No tampering going on at all here, NJ trades away Marino before even talking to Pesce? Ya ok.
It's not tampering if they don't talk to Pesce directly. At the end of the day if Pesce tells his agent he will sign with NJ for whatever contract and that agent contacts NJ saying so, it's not tampering. There's nothing illegal about talking to a players agent. Do you really think NJ is the only team in the league doing this? Every team does it. No one is going to rat each other out because they all do the same thing.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
It's not tampering if they don't talk to Pesce directly. At the end of the day if Pesce tells his agent he will sign with NJ for whatever contract and that agent contacts NJ saying so, it's not tampering. There's nothing illegal about talking to a players agent. Do you really think NJ is the only team in the league doing this? Every team does it. No one is going to rat each other out because they all do the same thing.
But the Devils will violate the spirit of the rule and have to give up three 1st round draft picks.:D

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I honestly don’t understand why this isn’t tampering. “We didn’t talk to the player, just this guy who is contractually obligated to negotiate on his behalf, totally fine.”

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
But the Devils will violate the spirit of the rule and have to give up three 1st round draft picks.:D
Yeah, I swear to god if the Devils are the ones who get dinged for this type of shit like they did for the Kovy contract.......
I honestly don’t understand why this isn’t tampering. “We didn’t talk to the player, just this guy who is contractually obligated to negotiate on his behalf, totally fine.”
You guys do know that the NHL has allowed a grace period for UFA's to talk to NHL teams before free agency? They just aren't allowed to sign yet. Here's a link to read the rule.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The interview period was eliminated in 2020.

Unless it’s actively reported, we don’t know if teams give permission to players ahead of time. If Carolina has essentially moved on from Pesce, it seems purposeless not to let him get a head start. It was reported that the Canes did this with Dougie Hamilton in 2021 (Link).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad