Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
This guy has KILLED my Canes the last two meetings in the playoffs. I think he's the best goalie in the NHL, If anyone deserves the top $$ it's him.

Reactions: NVious

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
...and how many of the top goalies in the league actually win the Cup? A well-constructed team that has depth can absolutely win without blowing their wad on a goalie.
The 2 highest paid goalies currently playing both have won cups in the last 4 years tbf

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I mean, you can keep pretending teams like Anaheim/Buffalo/Detroit/Montreal/Ottawa/Utah can't afford this, but they absolutely can.

Between him and Weber they managed to take a team that shouldn't even have been in the playoffs to an SCF.
Still was a terrible deal. Price has been retired for 3 seasons and there are two seasons still left on his contract. Just because both sides were able to get out of it doesn't mean it was ever a good deal.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He has 3 playoffs with 930 sv percentage,1 vezina and is in his prime that's a 12-13 million dollar player.

In Toronto we have 3 guys basically earning that that have had 0 playoffs out of 8 (Marner/Tavares/Matthews) as good as one run of his.

I would take him in a heartbeat over Marner and Woll (12-14 million comparable).

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
As a regular mortal it's hard to understand how he could turn down $88M. Is It for a few million more or just change of scenery. Normally players want to play in NYC.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
That is nuts

Rangers time to look forward to post Shesterkin era at this point

And frankly that contract is absurd offer to begin with as he only had 1 elite year and has been pedestrian since and will turn 29 in a couple months
The age is age scary part. I would want him at that price.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
If that’s the case he’s not crazy at all lol

He is, because of how easily injuries occur - look at Demko for example, if the injury he has sustained happened to Igor where they're saying he's going to have to deal with it for the rest of his career, that has to affect his value significantly + his play might drop

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A team literally just won a year ago with a journeyman backup, and no, I would not pay the top goalie in the league what the likes of Matthews/Draisaitl/MacKinnon/McDavid/Makar are getting/will be getting.
To play devil's advocate, how many of those players won the Cup on $10+ million dollar contracts either? MacKinnon was at $6.3 million when the Avs won the Cup with him as first line center (very cheap), but nobody says don't pay him because $12.6 million is too much as long as he gets his 140 points even if the team loses in the first or second round. But for a Goaltender, the team has to win the Cup for the contract to be "worth it". Doesn't make sense.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
To play devil's advocate, how many of those players won the Cup on $10+ million dollar contracts either? MacKinnon was at $6.3 million when the Avs won the Cup with him as first line center (very cheap), but nobody says don't pay him because $12.6 million is too much as long as he gets his 140 points even if the team loses in the first or second round. But for a Goaltender, the team has to win the Cup for the contract to be "worth it". Doesn't make sense.

Oh I 100% agree on that.

But doesn't mean teams aren't still going to pay their players that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad