Around the NHL 2023-24 regular season

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
That kinda sucks. While I don't want igor on the rags, there is no way that contract ages well at all and would have seriously tied their hands. I almost wish he accepted

He’s 28 turning 29 at the end of December. At minimum you’d expect the first 4 or 5 years of an 8 year to be fine…which also matches up with their contention window. Who really cares about the latter years if they’re not going to be as good then anyway.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's also definitely not good that the Rangers side is now leaking contract negotiations as well.

Rumor was that Igor wanted a deal done before the season. Clock is ticking...no way the Rangers can have this hanging over everyone's head all season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Looking at the schedule and Saturday's game against the Caps is their season opener.

I'd be pissed as a Caps fan if I had to wait until 4 days after the NA start of the season to finally watch my team play.

Some other quirks: Both Toronto and Carolina start off the year with back-to-backs. The Blues start tonight as part of a stretch of 3 games in 4 nights.

The Devils schedule is also a bit condensed to start out, particularly given that we've already played two games, as we'll then have 6 games in 10 nights with travel between every game.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He should have re-read that article because it's his job to read his writing before he posts. Not only did he think it was perfectly fine, he edited it in 2 more different ways, all equally awful before posting an apology because people called him out.

Sometimes, people are just f*** wits who don't deserve the cushy bs jobs they have.

And hell, most people who cut others off in traffic are absolutely entitled assholes who don't give a flying f*** about anyone else but themselves. Anyone who drives around this area knows it's not just people who made an honest mistake because they just have so much on their plate. What a load of horse shit.

He’s a very bad writer and part of being a bad writer is being a bad judge of how readers will respond to your drivel.

It might be hard to for you to believe, but I assume he was being sentimental and not sensationalist with the original comments.

The “help from heaven” stuff is treacly slop to start with.

Then add that he didn’t seem to understand that the tragedy revolves around the brothers’ family/friends and not the future success the f***ing Blue Jackets.

Seravelli is the “President of Hockey Content at Daily Faceoff” so he likely doesn’t have much editorial oversight.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That kinda sucks. While I don't want igor on the rags, there is no way that contract ages well at all and would have seriously tied their hands. I almost wish he accepted
They said it about Bobrovsky too. Cap is rising. Shestyorkin is the best goalie. And he will help his team to win. Rangers played two ECFs with quite... raw defense in front of him. He will eat a lot of money but he deserved it and if he will leave rangers - it will not help them to win.

in his case - he can think about it all the time he wants until deadline and asking for more. Than he can think about it again. And even after deadline he can think about it. Even if he will go to the market and sign only 11.5-12 mil on the market(which is less money) for 7 years, it is still good amount of money to not cry about it. So now he can ask maximum he wants.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They said it about Bobrovsky too. Cap is rising. Shestyorkin is the best goalie. And he will help his team to win. Rangers played two ECFs with quite... raw defense in front of him. He will eat a lot of money but he deserved it and if he will leave rangers - it will not help them to win.

in his case - he can think about it all the time he wants until deadline and asking for more. Than he can think about it again. And even after deadline he can think about it. Even if he will go to the market and sign only 11.5-12 mil on the market(which is less money) for 7 years, it is still good amount of money to not cry about it. So now he can ask maximum he wants.

Yeah this is fair. Whatever the case, I like the strife they are dealing with. And it makes me appreciate even more what Fitz has been able to do.

Reactions: Guadana

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Getting the highest goalie contract in NHL history is one thing…getting the highest contract by ‘a lot’ is another

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah this is fair. Whatever the case, I like the strife they are dealing with. And it makes me appreciate even more what Fitz has been able to do.
Yeah, if he will sign Luke in borders of Sanderson/Faber/Seider/Power, it would be great. May be Casey existence will help to limit next deal of Nemec too. And with rising cap it will help to build better team, even with less cheap deal Nico will sign.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You’ll feel better when it’s $12 mil AAV for 8 years.
yeah i was thinking hes aiming to go off this year and then ask for more money so its double edge there. does really good which is bad for us but at same time makes the contract take even bigger which is good for us.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
11 million is a lot on its own but with taxes, getting income in NYC is tough. i wonder how much money would be taken out in taxes and what that 11 million looks like per year after that consideration.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Igor has been vastly underpaid the last few seasons. He wants to make up for it now.

It's a lose-lose situation for the Rags, either they pay him big money and have less money for the rest of the team, or they have to deal him, and they won't get fair value back. Also, Igor really make Rags so much better, losing him would kill that team.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You can say “that contract will suck at the end” about any 29 year old UFA getting a massive contract.

That’s a superstar UFAs for ya.

The rumored offer was 11x8, so the 8th year should help keep the AAV down a little.

Soros got $61.92m (7.74x8) vs Hellebuyck’s $59.50m (8.5x7)

Yes in my view. It’s still more than 10%.

Yeah, over 10% of your cap for a goalie is tough, and you do have to pay the back-up too.

You have to think about salary cap allocation as (very roughly):
60% Forwards 30% Defense 10% Goalies

I say roughly because ideally you want spend more on your forwards. And you have to consider the realities of dead cap space too.

But if you have a superstar goalie, then you have to suck it up and pay the guy.

The Cap is projected to be ~96.5m in 2026-27.
11% 10.62m
12% 11.58m
13% 12.55m

I get why they don’t want to go over 11m for an 8 year deal.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Two of the most boring teams you can possibly match up for the North American season opener. No wonder it's basically an afternoon game on a non-holiday weekday.

I'm glad the Mets game is on.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

giphy.gif

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Igor has been vastly underpaid the last few seasons. He wants to make up for it now.

It's a lose-lose situation for the Rags, either they pay him big money and have less money for the rest of the team, or they have to deal him, and they won't get fair value back. Also, Igor really make Rags so much better, losing him would kill that team.

Star Goalie’s contract path is:
ELC > Bridge Deal > RFA Long Term Deal > UFA Long Term Deal

If we’re talking about the top goalies, the bridge deals are always ridiculous bargains and the RFA deals are usually pretty damn sweet.

Hellebuyck had a 6.17m/6 year (2 RFA years) deal starting in 2018-19, coming off a 1 year/2.25m bridge deal.

Saros has a 5m/4 year (1 RFA year) deal starting in 2021-22, coming off a 3 year/1.5m bridge deal.

If you sign a great young goalie as an RFA, you typically get bargains. (Must be nice lol.)

The salary breakdown of Shesterkin’s deal is:
3m - 6m - 7m (UFA year) - 6.67m (UFA year)
The deal started in 2021-22, at the beginning of the frozen cap era.

Shesterkin had an unusually long bridge deal but he got more money from it. It was designed to ride out the frozen cap era so he could get his next contract after the cap went up.

Shesterkin got market value. He had his Vezina season in the first season of that deal. He isn’t making up for anything more than other top goalies going for their big deal.

Counting Draisaitl, four guys make over 12m or more. Maybe he squeezes them to 12m?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
just tuned into the game in seattle to see the score and ya, ferraro is as annoying as ever

stfu

and espn still with the video game names on players during the powerplay. still wonder what clown signed off on that garbage

Last edited:
Reactions: Nubmer6

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I find it strange that the goalie market is so deflated despite there not being enough starter-level goaltenders to fill out the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad