Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
12 Million where? Columbus? 😅 so you would take 12 mil to play in 3rd world place columbus or 11 million to live in Manhattan or upper side NY with a contender team that will make you more due to sponsorships and media coverage? No other teams i can see will off that, especially none of the playoff teams

When you realize that not everybody likes to play/live in the big city...

And yes, there are several more teams that can afford this than just Columbus.

Reactions: HBK27

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Shesterkin was on the ice for 3,277:06 last season. The next highest on the team was Trocheck at 1,759:17.
Shesterkin is a goalie though. He also doesnt play 82 games. If he was able to play all games including playoffs at an elite consistent level then perhaps he would deserve a max contract.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Draisaitl is one of the top 5 players in the league, and probably top 3. Shesterkin is not a top 5 player and goalies dont ever get max contracts like franchise centers.

Let me help you out here...

No, Draisaitl is not a Top 3 player in the league, and yes, goalies like Price/Vasilevsky/Bobrovsky/Lundqvist have gotten insane contracts.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
When you realize that not everybody likes to play/live in the big city...

And yes, there are several more teams that can afford this than just Columbus.
Most contender teams and playoffs cant and other teams that can will not offwr him that. Again i can see only Columbus offering that since they have nothing to lose. A team like Calgary with goalie prospects luke Wolf and Valadar wont want to get another goalie for 12 million only to miss playoffs again.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Let me help you out here...

No, Draisaitl is not a Top 3 player in the league, and yes, goalies like Price/Vasilevsky/Bobrovsky/Lundqvist have gotten insane contracts.
Insane contracts were not even close to max contracts. So 11 million is in line with other goalies

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Most contender teams and playoffs cant and other teams that can will not offwr him that. Again i can see only Columbus offering that since they have nothing to lose. A team like Calgary with goalie prospects luke Wolf and Valadar wont want to get another goalie for 12 million only to miss playoffs again.

It's almost like up and coming teams haven't been locking down their cores at dirt cheap prices and can afford to do this...

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
12 Million where? Columbus? 😅 so you would take 12 mil to play in 3rd world place columbus or 11 million to live in Manhattan or upper side NY with a contender team that will make you more due to sponsorships and media coverage? No other teams i can see will off that, especially none of the playoff teams
Your literal namesake loves Columbus so much he lives here year-round. With five Russians on the roster past this season and some of the best suburbs to raise a family in the country...he could do a whole lot worse for personal fit. And buy a whole mansion for less than a million dollars while he's at it rather than commuting from Connecticut or spending the same amount for a 2000sqft apartment.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
That contract was immediately lambasted

Tbh were it not for the last few years of flat cap, it wouldn’t even look all that bad. Definitely an overpay but not an especially egregious one. Paying a goalie more than 11 for his 30+ seasons even with rising cap will be really bad from the get-go

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No team will pay him 12 mil per year. Not even in KHL, so he will sign for 11 mil or nothing
It’s easy for you to say that but I doubt the Rangers throw down the gauntlet. They will sign him and he likely takes something close to the current offer but I doubt he settles at $11 mil per given the public announcement. His agent won’t let him. The Rangers will offer him a bit more at the last minute and all will be water under the bridge.

Reactions: HBK27

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It's almost like up and coming teams haven't been locking down their cores at dirt cheap prices and can afford to do this...
Would be a mistake to sign him for a huge contract, eapecially a rebuilding team needing high draft picks. Plus his age will not be in line with core of teams rebuilding now. Contenders can't afford him since they want to keep their forward and D depth intact. Also playoffs has shown that you dont need a top level goalie to win. Colorado did it with Grubauer, Vegas did it with Hill and Florida did it with Bob who played great but isnt same level as shesterkin.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Clearly you've never lived in the third world.

I don't know why some internet anons feel joy in pretending to be class/cool city snobs on the internet.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Your literal namesake loves Columbus so much he lives here year-round. With five Russians on the roster past this season and some of the best suburbs to raise a family in the country...he could do a whole lot worse for personal fit. And buy a whole mansion for less than a million dollars while he's at it rather than commuting from Connecticut or spending the same amount for a 2000sqft apartment.
There is a reason why mansions there are less than a million while shoe boxes in Vancouver apartments are 2 million or more. You can also buy a mansion in afghanistan for $100K, doesnt mean its a great place to live. Plus New York also has rich suburbs if you want to get away from the big city lights.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
LOL
How can you have that high of an AAV for a guy who sits on the bench for 30 games?????
I saw this argument a lot with the Swayman stuff. It kinda falls apart if you look at toral TOI for a season. A goalie starting 60 games will play 3600 minutes. A top center or dman playing 25 minutes a night for a full season would play for 2050 minutes.

Neither way is necessarily the right or wrong way to look at it.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Would be a mistake to sign him for a huge contract, eapecially a rebuilding team needing high draft picks. Plus his age will not be in line with core of teams rebuilding now. Contenders can't afford him since they want to keep their forward and D depth intact. Also playoffs has shown that you dont need a top level goalie to win. Colorado did it with Grubauer, Vegas did it with Hill and Florida did it with Bob who played great but isnt same level as shesterkin.

I mean, you can keep pretending teams like Anaheim/Buffalo/Detroit/Montreal/Ottawa/Utah can't afford this, but they absolutely can.

I don't think there will ever be a time where that contract looked like a good deal.

Between him and Weber they managed to take a team that shouldn't even have been in the playoffs to an SCF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad