Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Just don't put a team back in Arizona once this is settled. Enough.
THAT'S IT, BACK TO ATLANTA

1712782776513.png

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
While I suppose this *could* fall apart the number of bread crumbs connected to one another makes me think this is certainly a lot more than posturing and speculation.

You've got an untenable situation of an NHL team playing out of Mullet, the uncertainty of the land auction and timeline for a new arena in Arizona, a deep-pocketed owner in Utah who has played the game the way the NHL likes and whom they trust who has a building they can play in and the ability to make it happen, quickly.

Sportsnet and ESPN are both hearing this is a ways down the road, and the specifics (how the deal would work, clauses for Mereulo to bring hockey back to expedite a deal, specific date for a sale to be announced,) being leaked make me think it's more likely than not this happens.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
It sounds like the biggest problem is that the NHL doesn't want an NHL team in a college arena for three more years. If only Arizona could play in Glendale until their new arena gets built, assuming they win the auction.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So, where are the official statements that the team is being moved to Utah? Just more bull shit speculating in here right now.

This is basically every article:

COYOTES IN TALKS TO MOVE TO SLC

Article: We are being told no firm agreements have happened and this may or may not be as far along as our headline says it is. But hey, you clicked and repeated this info all over your internet hangouts so thanks!

COYOTES PLAYERS TOLD TO LOOK FOR HOUSES IN SLC

Article: Coyotes players are following social media and all the super accurate reporting going on there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It sounds like the biggest problem is that the NHL doesn't want an NHL arena in a college arena for three more years. If only Arizona could play in Glendale until their new arena gets built, assuming they win the auction.

I think this solution makes a lot of sense, but apparently Glendale doesn't want them on a temporary basis. I think Glendale only wanted to renew their arena lease if it would be long-term.

Maybe the Coyotes being at threat of moving to Salt Lake City may be enough for Glendale to agree to host them for 5 years or so, but that hasn't happened because apparently Glendale doesn't want to only be a temporary location.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is pretty much exactly what I predicted. Mereulo is a grifter, through and through. He was never actually interested in running a hockey team, as shown by how little money he invested in the on-ice product, stiffing vendors and rent, and being completely unserious about building a new arena.

The whole charade about a new arena was always about selling the team at a profit. Again, he has no interest in creating a viable on-ice product. Once he had approval for whatever hocus-pocus arena plan there was, he was going to sell the team at a massive profit from what he paid for.

Luckily for him, he doesn't have to do that now. The NHL/Ryan Smith are just going to pay him out! This is the dream for Mereulo. Doesn't even have to keep the pretenses of his charade. Just gets the cash.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is pretty much exactly what I predicted. Mereulo is a grifter, through and through. He was never actually interested in running a hockey team, as shown by how little money he invested in the on-ice product, stiffing vendors and rent, and being completely unserious about building a new arena.

The whole charade about a new arena was always about selling the team at a profit. Again, he has no interest in creating a viable on-ice product. Once he had approval for whatever hocus-pocus arena plan there was, he was going to sell the team at a massive profit from what he paid for.

Luckily for him, he doesn't have to do that now. The NHL/Ryan Smith are just going to pay him out! This is the dream for Mereulo. Doesn't even have to keep the pretenses of his charade. Just gets the cash.

This doesn't seem to be what is going on at all. This sounds more like the NHL trying to convince Meruelo to sell the Coyotes than Meruelo trying to cash out on the Coyotes.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not convinced Meruelo would even stick around to build An arena if the team moves.

Sure, there's a money making aspect (tho I'm sure he has lots of opportunities available) but he has no ties to the area.
Absolutely no chance he was going to. He never wanted to run a hockey team. This was all just about creating an elaborate, hugely profitable trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad