Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
This is pretty much exactly what I predicted. Mereulo is a grifter, through and through. He was never actually interested in running a hockey team, as shown by how little money he invested in the on-ice product, stiffing vendors and rent, and being completely unserious about building a new arena.

The whole charade about a new arena was always about selling the team at a profit. Again, he has no interest in creating a viable on-ice product. Once he had approval for whatever hocus-pocus arena plan there was, he was going to sell the team at a massive profit from what he paid for.

Luckily for him, he doesn't have to do that now. The NHL/Ryan Smith are just going to pay him out! This is the dream for Mereulo. Doesn't even have to keep the pretenses of his charade. Just gets the cash.
Tale as old as time

Bad owner destroys team in expansion market, everyone calls [city] a "bad hockey market" rather than actually looking at how the franchise itself was run

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Absolutely no chance he was going to. He never wanted to run a hockey team. This was all just about creating an elaborate, hugely profitable trade.

Again, if that was actually the case, why are they talking about giving him 5 year window of bringing back the Coyotes as an expansion team? Why is the NHL trying to make the deal good for him to prevent him from going to court?

Reactions: Seedtype

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vegas was gifted a top team by the NHL GMs.
Fixed it for you.

The rules were not intended to create a contender. They didn't want Vegas to be a bottom-feeder though, obviously. But no one seriously thought the expansion rules would lead to Vegas being a contender out of the gate. Nobody.

It was only the stupidity of GMs gladly handing over high quality players that did that.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
All I know is whoever is a Yotes fan must be pretty hard core to put up with all of this, year after grinding year.
Actually it’s all the comments from the haters in the forums to the journalists that don’t have their facts straight that create headlines that aren’t true that get to us ..

It’s funny hearing some of the journalists who were all against the Yotes in Arizona are now saying :

This is a great plan , relocating them to SLC , and then bring them back once the arena is built because “ we know hockey can work in AZ it’s a proven fact”

The facts that we know are:

Muerello group is focused on Winn the auction and keeping the team in Arizona. However this is the last chance. If they do not win the auction relocating the team is the only option

So it makes sense that AM and the NHL are both preparing for plan in case it falls through, by discussing an alternative schedule and selling the team.

If the team wins the auction then the puck would drop on the 26 or 27 season. The exact same date had they won the TEMPE vote. Why is it the same date? Because in Tempe they had to spend cash and time to remediate the land because it was a toxic dump.

Here they don’t have to.

Those are the facts , anything else is speculation. Until you hear the Yotes or the NHL say anything different that is where are at.

This date of April 18th is also speculation

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is pretty much exactly what I predicted. Mereulo is a grifter, through and through. He was never actually interested in running a hockey team, as shown by how little money he invested in the on-ice product, stiffing vendors and rent, and being completely unserious about building a new arena.

The whole charade about a new arena was always about selling the team at a profit. Again, he has no interest in creating a viable on-ice product. Once he had approval for whatever hocus-pocus arena plan there was, he was going to sell the team at a massive profit from what he paid for.

Luckily for him, he doesn't have to do that now. The NHL/Ryan Smith are just going to pay him out! This is the dream for Mereulo. Doesn't even have to keep the pretenses of his charade. Just gets the cash.

It was kind of evident after he was outspent by local citizens in Tempe.

Dude, you're a billionaire and couldn't spend more money to lobby people to vote in your favour? Like seriously?

Mar 26, 2010
Looks like Arizona is building AM34 he very own Hockey stadium. lol

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Fixed it for you.

The rules were not intended to create a contender. They didn't want Vegas to be a bottom-feeder though, obviously. But no one seriously thought the expansion rules would lead to Vegas being a contender out of the gate. Nobody.

It was only the stupidity of GMs gladly handing over high quality players that did that.

This + ownership being aggressive. They've spent money out the wazoo with the goal of winning the cup (mission accomplished) multiple times (TBD). Foleys literally given them a blank check.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This + ownership being aggressive. They've spent money out the wazoo with the goal of winning the cup (mission accomplished) multiple times (TBD). Foleys literally given them a blank check.
That's what good ownership can do for you.

Cc Arizona

Reactions: Voight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's what happens when people who don't know anything about anything all jump on an easy hot take. Everyone just assumed the Knights would be terrible because it was easy. How a team with Theodore and MAF was supposed to be so bad is beyond me
I still don't think it's a good faith argument to say they were handed a top 5 team. A lot of secondary pieces came together to be a top 5 team in the standings and the Knights leveraged a lot of career years and an excess of future assets to build a contending roster. Most of the guys Vegas traded away underperformed at new teams. No one made teams make excessively stupid trades to dump cap or protect certain players (E.g. Theodore to dump Stoner's contract or Marchessault to take Smith instead of other exposed players).

And irrespective of that, it's certainly not Vegas' fault that after 28 years in Arizona, the Coyotes organization hasn't been able to figure out how to put together some sustained on ice success. Like sure, be annoyed at the VGK all you want for getting a great head start but the Yotes fluctuating between a rebuild and barely a bubble playoff team is no one's fault but the Coyotes front office.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It seems to be much more "if the NHL, Meruelo and Smith can come to an agreement" than "if everything in AZ falls through".
Maybe. Possibly. Potentially not.

I just think the scattershot, click-baiting, social media "reporting" that goes on during these sagas is ridiculous. I've pretty much grown cynical about everything on the interwebs to the point where I'm basically like this to every new "X" posted "news report"...

you-sure-about-that-i-think-you-should-leave-with-tim-robinson.png

At the end of the day, if you throw enough crap out there you can claim you knew what was going on all along I suppose.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This doesn't seem to be what is going on at all. This sounds more like the NHL trying to convince Meruelo to sell the Coyotes than Meruelo trying to cash out on the Coyotes.

Again, if that was actually the case, why are they talking about giving him 5 year window of bringing back the Coyotes as an expansion team? Why is the NHL trying to make the deal good for him to prevent him from going to court?

He's a grifter. He's good at grifting. He has to keep up the grift until he gets paid out.

He's not getting a billion from the NHL if he looks desperate to sell. Meruelo probably will try to milk even more money out of them in court, if given the opportunity. The NHL at this point just wants a clean move to Salt Lake so they'll give him his expansion "deal" that he absolutely will not follow up on.

Tale as old as time

Bad owner destroys team in expansion market, everyone calls [city] a "bad hockey market" rather than actually looking at how the franchise itself was run
Yep. Seattle and Vegas are popular right out of the gate. Nashville and Carolina demonstrate that non-traditional markets can be successful. Shows what good ownership can do for you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think some Coyotes fans are huffing some hardcore copium in this thread to convince themselves that the Coyotes aren't at risk of being moved. At least based on what has been reported, it seems like the NHL is trying to get Meruelo to sell the Coyotes to Smith, who will then relocate them to Salt Lake City. I don't think Meruelo wants to move the team, I think the NHL is pushing hard to get him to sell the team to the NHL so the NHL can sell it to an owner who will move them. They're trying to make the deal good for Meruelo so he doesn't fight it, either by not selling the team or fighting it in court later.

The NHL flat out does not want to play another 3 years at Mullett Arena and continue to hemorrhage money. At least to me, this seems like the NHL trying to move the Coyotes to a stable market and telling the Meruelo "you'll get a new team once you figure out the arena situation".

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
I'm not someone who particularly likes Quebec City as an expansion option, but Quebec City being the 4th team in this situation makes a boatload of sense.

Have Quebec City go in the Atlantic and move Detroit to the Metro. Put Houston in the Central and Phoenix in the West.
Moving Detroit to the Metro makes no sense, based on geography, or based on rivalries. Neither does moving Pittsburgh to the Atlantic, they should not be separated from Philadelphia, especially in a quasi-divisional playoff format.

If the league expands to 36 teams and adds the markets stated above, the best solution would be to swap Tampa Bay and Florida to the Metro, with Carolina coming back to the Atlantic. This way, you would keep Detroit with Toronto/Buffalo, Pittsburgh with Philadelphia and Columbus, and Carolina would have some good rivalries still with Boston and Montreal (maybe Buffalo too?).

So, to recap:

Pacific: VAN, CGY, EDM, SEA, VGK, SJS, LAK, ANA, PHX
Central: COL, UTH, DAL, NSH, STL, CHI, WPG, MIN, HOU
Atlantic: DET, TOR, BUF, OTT, MTL, BOS, QUE, TBL, FLA
Metro: NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WSH, CBJ, CAR, ATL

(edited because I forgot about Atlanta, making all that nonsense about moving CAR to the Atlantic totally unnecessary! :laugh:)

Last edited:

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Bettman obviously has a ton of power and clout, but definitely sounds like the other 31 owners (and likely the PA) are sabre rattling about getting this situation out of the ditch, one way or another, and it certainly feels like people want more assurances than 'let's wait until June' for the auction. Probably too much waiting for things out of their control for too long.

Reactions: Voight and PBandJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad