Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
They’ll go the “Minnesota Wild” route and become the “Utah Buzz”

It is the beehive state after all. They have one on their state flag.

Owner already own-zz the Utah Jazz.

When they kill a penalty it would be a buzzkill.

Ok, I’m done.
I'll admit, I immediately thought of "Utah Hive", and I hate it :help:

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Yes, I believe against Motorcycles and stuff too. You can violate it, but if you get injured doing it, they can void your contract. Tons of activities deemed high risk that if you get injured doing can get your contract voided.
I have a cabin beside an ex NHL player he had several activities that he could not do in his contract, one of them was waterskiing so he bought a $200000 surf boat and wake surfed instead.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
This is pretty much exactly what I predicted. Mereulo is a grifter, through and through. He was never actually interested in running a hockey team, as shown by how little money he invested in the on-ice product, stiffing vendors and rent, and being completely unserious about building a new arena.

The whole charade about a new arena was always about selling the team at a profit. Again, he has no interest in creating a viable on-ice product. Once he had approval for whatever hocus-pocus arena plan there was, he was going to sell the team at a massive profit from what he paid for.

Luckily for him, he doesn't have to do that now. The NHL/Ryan Smith are just going to pay him out! This is the dream for Mereulo. Doesn't even have to keep the pretenses of his charade. Just gets the cash.
He's a real estate developer.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They’ll go the “Minnesota Wild” route and become the “Utah Buzz”

It is the beehive state after all. They have one on their state flag.

Owner already own-zz the Utah Jazz.

When they kill a penalty it would be a buzzkill.

Ok, I’m done.

Basketball Utah Jazz
NHL Utah Jazzers

jazzer (plural jazzers)

1. (colloquial, rare) Something with energy or pizzazz

Do you think they can get more than 4600 in attendance?

At least 4612 in Utah

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Bettman obviously has a ton of power and clout, but definitely sounds like the other 31 owners (and likely the PA) are sabre rattling about getting this situation out of the ditch, one way or another, and it certainly feels like people want more assurances than 'let's wait until June' for the auction. Probably too much waiting for things out of their control for too long.
I'm willing to bet the PA has been on their asses about this.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Moving Detroit to the Metro makes no sense, based on geography, or based on rivalries. Neither does moving Pittsburgh to the Atlantic, they should not be separated from Philadelphia, especially in a quasi-divisional playoff format.

If the league expands to 36 teams and adds the markets stated above, the best solution would be to swap Tampa Bay and Florida to the Metro, with Carolina coming back to the Atlantic. This way, you would keep Detroit with Toronto/Buffalo, Pittsburgh with Philadelphia and Columbus, and Carolina would have some good rivalries still with Boston and Montreal (maybe Buffalo too?).

So, to recap:

Pacific: VAN, CGY, EDM, SEA, VGK, SJS, LAK, ANA, PHX
Central: COL, UTH, DAL, NSH, STL, CHI, WPG, MIN, HOU
Atlantic: DET, TOR, BUF, OTT, MTL, BOS, QUE, CAR
Metro: NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI, PIT, WSH, CBJ, TBL, FLA
Actually, Pittsburgh and Columbus are closer to the great lakes so they should be switched with Boston and Carolina to cut down on costs. And there will be a team in Atlanta too.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Seriously this is an interesting take given we have an ECHL team here.

This entire thread is basically:
1. Lol Mormons amirite? Followed by a bunch of offensive religious stuff (not Mormon, don't care, think it's funny too...but surprised it's allowed)
2. People showing they know literally nothing about the state other than we have snow

I've been here a few years, people go ape shit for the Jazz and BYU/U of U sports even when those teams suck. Will it work long term? Who knows but the NHL seems to do fine in other random metros like Nashville or Vegas that are not much bigger than Salt Lake & Utah Valleys. Salt Lake Metro is like 1.2m as of 2020 and Utah County (Provo since no one knows Utah) is another 700k pre-covid and we've grown a ton since.

It's also a great area for winter sports and likely a future Olympic host here soon.

Reactions: saffronleaf

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Poor understanding of Canadian population centres by twitter user Yotes.

No extra teams on the west coast or in the Okanagan?

They really owned the Snowbirds with that post!
They put a team in the middle of Hudson's Bay, I don't think it was particularly serious. If we are talking about Canada by population centers and redistributing them based on that, about 1/3rd of them would be in Southern Ontario. You wouldn't be able to make out a team logo from Oshawa to Windsor.

Reactions: Summer Rose

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
coyotes are common in Utah...keep it..or else...The Utah Fightin' Mormons
or The Utah Brigham Young Guns

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
Actually, Pittsburgh and Columbus are closer to the great lakes so they should be switched with Boston and Carolina to cut down on costs. And there will be a team in Atlanta too.
No way Boston ever gets separated from Montreal. Travel and geography are not the only factors, if they were, Boston and Pittsburgh would never have been aligned where they are

Edit: Ah, you're right, I forgot the Atlanta team. So, the Florida teams can stay in their division, and have Quebec added to it, while the Metro gets Atlanta. It's a simple addition of one team in each division: Phoenix to the Pacific, Houston to the Central, Quebec to the Atlantic and Atlanta to the Metro, with the Central-aligned Coyotes becoming Utah :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: HuGo Sham

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Seriously this is an interesting take given we have an ECHL team here.

This entire thread is basically:
1. Lol Mormons amirite? Followed by a bunch of offensive religious stuff (not Mormon, don't care, think it's funny too...but surprised it's allowed)
2. People showing they know literally nothing about the state other than we have snow

I've been here a few years, people go ape shit for the Jazz and BYU/U of U sports even when those teams suck. Will it work long term? Who knows but the NHL seems to do fine in other random metros like Nashville or Vegas that are not much bigger than Salt Lake & Utah Valleys. Salt Lake Metro is like 1.2m as of 2020 and Utah County (Provo since no one knows Utah) is another 700k pre-covid and we've grown a ton since.

It's also a great area for winter sports and likely a future Olympic host here soon.
One of my close friends lives in Provo.
He said he'd be super excited to get a team and get into hockey.

People are underestimating how much white people love hockey or are willing to get into it.

FrozenKing18

Where is my super suit?
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
From Arizona Coyotes to Utah Roadrunners. That'd be something.

wileroadrunner.PNG

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

People are underestimating how much white people love hockey or are willing to get into it.
Downtown is exploding, tons of young non-mormons moving here. Decent tech industry with a lot of money. A lot of growth in general just from large families/people not leaving the state. Low income tax (<5%) and beautiful outdoors. Downside is it's basically a theocratic government but pro business soo it balances out

It could definitely work but that's just my opinion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Phoenix is one of the whitest cities in America. Even if you classify it as non-hispanic whites. Not sure this is the best logic to be going off of.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Bettman obviously has a ton of power and clout, but definitely sounds like the other 31 owners (and likely the PA) are sabre rattling about getting this situation out of the ditch, one way or another, and it certainly feels like people want more assurances than 'let's wait until June' for the auction. Probably too much waiting for things out of their control for too long.
It could be more about putting the pressure on the goverment to make sure the Coyotes are the winners at the land auction June 27th...

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Downtown is exploding, tons of young non-mormons moving here. Decent tech industry with a lot of money. A lot of growth in general just from large families/people not leaving the state. Low income tax (<5%) and beautiful outdoors. Downside is it's basically a theocratic government but pro business soo it balances out

It could definitely work but that's just my opinion.
I agree, I think it could work. Especially if they have a place to play.

Phoenix is one of the whitest cities in America. Even if you classify it as non-hispanic whites. Not sure this is the best logic to be going off of.
They also play in a f***en college barn.
I wouldn't say ANYTHING about moving the Yotes if they had an arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad