Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
here is the problem I see with the large plan. IT is one giant empty sand bowl right now.. I have done some construction in my younger days and in looking at the plan? The math for when the arena would open does not add up, I understand the plan but there is no infrastructure right now and it looks like they are building it from scratch. When I was working my way through uni in BC, I worked on some projects that were built where there was nothing and it took a lot of time to build what was needed to have the areas viable. I think they are being too liberal by maybe 2 to 3 years in when the arena would be ready

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I can't blame ownership for trying to leave but I feel like if they really wanted to get a arena deal done in a location that they wanted they could have. They just wanted more than local govs were willing to give. Take the money and run.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
here is the problem I see with the large plan. IT is one giant empty sand bowl right now.. I have done some construction in my younger days and in looking at the plan? The math for when the arena would open does not add up, I understand the plan but there is no infrastructure right now and it looks like they are building it from scratch. When I was working my way through uni in BC, I worked on some projects that were built where there was nothing and it took a lot of time to build what was needed to have the areas viable. I think they are being too liberal by maybe 2 to 3 years in when the arena would be ready
So you did some construction in your younger days and can tell from the information you have that the engineers, city planners and project managers are wrong on the project they dedicate all their time too. Gotcha. HF gold.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I see absolutely no reason to think that it isn't basically a guarantee. Pretty much everyone who has the power to make the decisions is fully in support of it.

Salt Lake City is already trying to get the 2034 Winter Olympics, so they need to build a new NHL caliber rink to support that regardless.

It seems pretty rock solid. I guess I’m conflating the general buzz that this entire saga is a done deal with a specific situation.

I 100% agree if the move were to “officially” be announced, there are “guarantees” in place with regards to a new SLC arena.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Downtown is exploding, tons of young non-mormons moving here. Decent tech industry with a lot of money. A lot of growth in general just from large families/people not leaving the state. Low income tax (<5%) and beautiful outdoors. Downside is it's basically a theocratic government but pro business soo it balances out
Heard your lake is running dry and polluting the air and environment.

Rename the place in 5 to 10 years into "The city formerly known as Salt lake city".

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
[URLunfurl="true"]The Great Salt Lake is drying up. Can it be saved?[/URL]

Rename the place in 5 to 10 years into "The city formerly known as Salt lake city".

Yikes. I’m sure nobody is as concerned with a potential ecological disaster with the lake than a majority of the people who live there.

But people who live in SLC are allowed to have a measure of civic pride man…it’s not like this thread is run amok with Utah residents puffing their chests out about potentially being on the good end of a franchise relocation.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

too bad it isn't nice a moist like arizona.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Weird flex coming from a Phoenix fan

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Curious how much of a revenue hit lower alcohol sales would be for a SLC arena. I think SLC is 50% mormon. For sure would have the lowest alcohol sales league wide.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Read the Friedman article then.

Friedmann is like 70% sources and 30% speculation, but interesting stuff there if Murelo had a change of heart and doesn't want to wait until June. 1.2 billion though, helps turn him into low-class rubbish that will forsake the entire fanbase after revealing and mentioning how much they want to keep the team in the city.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Friedmann is like 70% sources and 30% speculation, but interesting stuff there if Murelo had a change of heart and doesn't want to wait until June. 1.2 billion though, helps turn him into low-class rubbish that will forsake the entire fanbase after revealing and mentioning how much they want to keep the team in the city.

I think it's more the NHL doesn't want to wait until June, so they're trying to buy the Coyotes to move them while giving Meruelo a new expansion team in Arizona if he can figure out the arena situation in the future.

Reactions: DaveG

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Curious how much of a revenue hit lower alcohol sales would be for a SLC arena. I think SLC is 50% mormon. For sure would have the lowest alcohol sales league wide.
Not only that, the Jazz have bad revenue for Sunday games as well, which was the complaint from the fanbase that the NBA kept putting their playoff games on Sunday mid-afternoons when everyone is at church doing whatever they do with their nametags.

I think it's more the NHL doesn't want to wait until June, so they're trying to buy the Coyotes to move them while giving Meruelo a new expansion team in Arizona if he can figure out the arena situation in the future.
What? What is this mental gymnastics that the NHL is trying to do here? This is new to me...

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
too bad it isn't nice a moist like arizona.
Weird flex coming from a Phoenix fan
Hey, i don't live in AZ. I live in europe.
And i am a huge proponent for saving water and efficient water usage.
But climate change is a fact and it hits some places harder than others (for example Salt lake city) and Phoenix.

Also its not a flex. Its 10% trolling and 90% factual information on the state of the lake that gives the city its name. And it doesn't look good for the city and the lake.
Same can be said about Arizona. There is a whole wikipedia article on it.

Maybe i should have included that in my original post ^^

Overall we all will have to cut back in the future. And places like Phoenix and SLC will struggle heavily. Do i feel bad for their residents in both locations? Yes i do.

Doesn't change that i hate the prospect of relocation.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
So you did some construction in your younger days and can tell from the information you have that the engineers, city planners and project managers are wrong on the project they dedicate all their time too. Gotcha. HF gold.
Here in BC I worked on a couple project that were built on empty land and the land was the biggest problem. I am talking from personal experience. I have been to Arizona and posters who actually live in the state can correct me, but not all land can be built in that easily. I worked for a project that was suppose to be only a 3 year build, but took 7 due how the land was not perfect and it cost the biggest delays.

NO one knows for 100% just what kind land it is. They have done studies and have come to some conclusions. For the development, from what it looks to me, they may need to dig down between about 20 to 60 feet and until you actual start digging? you will not know what you have to deal with. This is development 101. You do not know for sure what you up against till you start digging and this is a pretty big dig.

How much development and construction have you done in your life? They are building a massive project where there is absolutely nothing. From what I have seen, there is nothing there and they are starting a massive project from point zero.
Even though it is empty or barren? That does not makes things easier? It in fact makes it harder.

I have been to Arizona and believe hockey will work there

Reactions: Apex Predator

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think Utah used to have super restrictive alcohol laws, but they've eased up in the past few years. Some of the laws actually sound pretty similar to what you'll see in places like Pennsylvania:

-You have to order food with beer if you're getting beer at a restaurant
-Beer over 5% ABV has to be purchased at a liquor store, otherwise beer can be bought at grocery stores or beer distributors.
-Wine and liquor are bought at liquor stores

Outside of the ABV requirement for beer, I actually think these are pretty much identical to liquor laws in Pennsylvania.

Reactions: DaveG

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Good thing they wouldn't be playing on the lake then?

Reactions: HolyCrap

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I think Utah used to have super restrictive alcohol laws, but they've eased up in the past few years. Some of the laws actually sound pretty similar to what you'll see in places like Pennsylvania:

-You have to order food with beer if you're getting beer at a restaurant
-Beer over 5% ABV has to be purchased at a liquor store, otherwise beer can be bought at grocery stores or beer distributors.
-Wine and liquor are bought at liquor stores

Outside of the ABV requirement for beer, I actually think these are pretty much identical to liquor laws in Pennsylvania.

More so with drinking patterns of the state than laws. All data I have seen show Utah Jazz have lowest concession and alcohol sales compared to other franchises. That being said what surprised me the most was that though they were last it was not by allot.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone; some are suggesting that Phoenix will get a team back?? Nothing is impossible but man, this is just a weird suggestion at this point. It takes at least 10 years to get your name in that hat and a LOT will need to change for consideration.

They will have to get at the back of that line for sure. There is no arena waiting for them in AZ and there is certainly a lot of frustration around the idea of them getting one, let alone KEEPING one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad