Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2002

This is how I expect anything to go down: the NHL will be the broker, it's not signing off on anything that it won't approve of ahead of time. But, if the NHL is in that position I also expect it's currently telling Ryan Smyth et. al. shut the f*** up about what to name any team in Utah. The league favors process and privacy, if there's one thing we learned from the Jim Balsillie Franchise Purchasing Plan it's that you STFU about what you're doing until the league tells you it's OK, and you do it how the league tells you to do it.

Reactions: 1989 and PBandJ

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Utah yeti has a nice ring to them. Could have a pretty slick logo and fan attire I'm sure

Dec 15, 2002
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone; some are suggesting that Phoenix will get a team back?? Nothing is impossible but man, this is just a weird suggestion at this point. It takes at least 10 years to get your name in that hat and a LOT will need to change for consideration.

They will have to get at the back of that line for sure. There is no arena waiting for them in AZ and there is certainly a lot of frustration around the idea of them getting one, let alone KEEPING one.
It's more like a bait-and-switch: you'll have people say "you know what, if we can promise Phoenix another team in the future to get the Coyotes, let's do that" and once it happens, immediately launch into "f*** Phoenix, we tried that shit, it had a team for 30 years and wouldn't support hockey, it doesn't deserve another chance for an NHL team."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like I’m in the twilight zone; some are suggesting that Phoenix will get a team back?? Nothing is impossible but man, this is just a weird suggestion at this point. It takes at least 10 years to get your name in that hat and a LOT will need to change for consideration.

They will have to get at the back of that line for sure. There is no arena waiting for them in AZ and there is certainly a lot of frustration around the idea of them getting one, let alone KEEPING one.

That is what both Seravalli and Friedman are suggesting. Meruelo is only agreeing to sell the Coyotes if he gets extra preference for an expansion team if/when the Phoenix arena situation is figured out.

This isn't Meruelo moving the Coyotes, it's the NHL trying to get him to sell to a new owner that will move the Coyotes. That point should be really emphasized, the NHL isn't giving up on the Phoenix market but they are giving up on the Coyotes in Phoenix.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the franchise is relocating, then the league really needs to give Fertitta in Houston a call. Houston quite frankly should be a no-brainer over a small-market NBA (and MLS) town like Salt Lake City.
The issue here is that Fertitta has only recently been starting to get serious. Ryan Smith was not just serious, but ready, a year ago. Timing is everything, and Ryan Smith had it and nobody else does.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Meruelo buying the Coyotes in 2019 for ~300M and then flipping them just 5 years later for ~1B is insane value

That's just good business
I dunno, with inflation these days he mightve lost a few dollars

(Yes this is a joke. It's unfortunate I probably have to clarify that)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That is what both Seravalli and Friedman are suggesting. Meruelo is only agreeing to sell the Coyotes if he gets extra preference for an expansion team if/when the Phoenix arena situation is figured out.

This isn't Meruelo moving the Coyotes, it's the NHL trying to get him to sell to a new owner that will move the Coyotes. That point should be really emphasized, the NHL isn't giving up on the Phoenix market but they are giving up on the Coyotes in Phoenix.
By the late time bettman could be gone and it won’t matter

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean, there will likely be some sort of language in the sale that basically says "they'll get an expansion team if they can finish up the arena deal", and the NHL breaking that would probably just get them sued.
I mean this is a field of dreams if it goes this way. How long does this type of deal last? What if the nhl decides not to expand?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I mean, there will likely be some sort of language in the sale that basically says "they'll get an expansion team if they can finish up the arena deal", and the NHL breaking that would probably just get them sued.
Maybe but I don’t see the NHL making such promises when there seems to be a lot of groups waiting for an expansion.

This is unprecedented, that we can all agree with.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Not to familiar with Salt Lake City but looking them up they only have a population of 200+ thousand people. Why would they choose there over say Halifax which (431,000) isn’t a huge population but would draw in a ton of diehard fans as it’s a hockey city + you know Marchand, Mackinnon and Crosby would be ending their careers there.

Edit: was just brought to my attention they have a large population in the surrounding area

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe but I don’t see the NHL making such promises when there seems to be a lot of groups waiting for an expansion.

This is unprecedented, that we can all agree with.

The issue is that they need to convince Meruelo to sell the team to them, and he may refuse to sell the team if he's not given that sort of guarantee.

I mean this is a field of dreams if it goes this way. How long does this type of deal last? What if the nhl decides not to expand?

Friedman suggested 5 years here:

Those same sources indicate he could be offered a five-year exclusive window to “bring back” the Coyotes as an expansion franchise — although there would be certain language stating what would need to be accomplished for him to return. (The league definitely desires a return to the market if it leaves.)

Reactions: Gustave

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bettman obviously has a ton of power and clout, but definitely sounds like the other 31 owners (and likely the PA) are sabre rattling about getting this situation out of the ditch, one way or another, and it certainly feels like people want more assurances than 'let's wait until June' for the auction. Probably too much waiting for things out of their control for too long.

I think in the event that it fails, they dont wanna have a lame duck season in Phoenix. Nobody wins in that scenario.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Not to familiar with Salt Lake City but looking them up they only have a population of 200+ thousand people. Why would they choose there over say Halifax which (431,000) isn’t a huge population but would draw in a ton of diehard fans as it’s a hockey city + you know Marchand, Mackinnon and Crosby would be ending their careers there.
Don't look at city populations, metro populations is more accurate. SLC is well over 1 million people.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Halifax is a junior territory and already exists..... as does the Grizzlies who have existed in UTAH since the arrival of the Avalanche in 1995 from Quebec..... some forget u need three things.... the league proposal that gets the attention of the league who leases the franchises, an arena lease and a prospective ownership.....

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Population within city limits is mostly meaningless because it’s too dependent on local differences in administration.

The SLC market is nearly 3 million people.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
thats just in the city limits. much higher pop in the surrounding area.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

"It is believed that Meruelo and the league have a handshake deal for an expansion team and Coyotes name if they win the land auction in North Phoenix."

I'm not sure Burns and Gambo are legitimate, but just sharing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Curious how much of a revenue hit lower alcohol sales would be for a SLC arena. I think SLC is 50% mormon. For sure would have the lowest alcohol sales league wide.
They also have a 0.05 BAC limit in the state. I don't want to get a slapfight about this topic, but given that it's a city with low public transit - the odds of you just drinking normally and then getting hit with a DUI at that level when you don't feel anything are really high.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

"It is believed that Meruelo and the league have a handshake deal for an expansion team and Coyotes name if they win the land auction in North Phoenix."

I'm not sure Burns and Gambo are legitimate, but just sharing.

I can’t imagine it’s going to be a handshake deal. If Meruelo getting the Coyotes back is part of an agreement, it’s going to be written and contractually binding.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You’re using city limits which is not a statistical metropolitan area

Reactions: Summer Rose

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Quebec and Halifax should jump the gun here if you ask me if they're to bring NHL out in that region.

But I think it's dead set for Salt Lake City. Ironically I was starting to like this Coyotes team. Guess Josh Doan is going the same road his dad is. Relocating to a new market after his rookie season. But I'm excited to see how hockey will do in Utah.

But my pick for their team name is the Utah Stingers.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Other people can correct me on this, But looking at the plans and time frame that the owners have given to get the new arena up and running? It does not add up. There is nothing there. Nadda zip..

They are saying 27/28 season. We have just started the 2nd quarter of 2024. the are saying they can get an arena up and running in 3 seasons? Rogers in Edmonton, which was built in the nearly the centre of downtown Edmonton took 2.5 years to build and they had everything there and they still had trouble

Looking at the plans? They are talking about more or less building a new city from scratch. Arizona fans can correct me on this. But on this very large piece of land, there are no roads, there is no electricity, there is no sewer systems in place or any from of infrastructure that would help with the build.

I am not saying it can not be done. But the time frame laid out? And they will not fully know what they are up against till they starting digging on the site. They have a good idea but until you start digging? You wont know what you are up against.

Building it wont be the biggest issue (assuming all the money is in place, skilled workers and all the plans are in place). It will be the dig and the could be a time consuming project. The only project that comes to mind in the western world that looks to be the same size as the plans they have here---would be the massive Canary Wharf build in London, England and that took 10+ years to complete.

If Arizona does relocate? That is a massive black eye for Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad