Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Yes, I believe against Motorcycles and stuff too. You can violate it, but if you get injured doing it, they can void your contract. Tons of activities deemed high risk that if you get injured doing can get your contract voided.
Jay Williams (basketball) - Wikipedia

Its not overly complicated, NFL also has weird on site supervised workout rules stipulations for violating their contracts whether protected or not, the Kelce brothers mention it in a "No Dumb Question" segment not long ago, that the consensus would be unfair if training out of season, but if you're going to jump out of an airplane, that's on you.

Reactions: Voight and 93LEAFS

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Weird how Seattle got the exact same rules and didn't get a "top 5 team"

View attachment 849411
Seattle didn't benefit at the same level when it came to the flat cap environment. For Vegas, it was a perfect storm of desperate cap-strapped franchises who were willing to part with high-value futures to part from short-term cap problems.

By the time Seattle entered the picture, GMs saw the long-term cost those types of short-term fixes and were less willing to give up futures to protect specific players.

The team is in a tax haven state and a favorable tourist location. They were always going to be on the top of a player's wishlist to play. And some of the shady player management we've seen there wouldn't fly on other franchises.

All of this is off topic though. But Vegas being uber competitive from the get go was something the NHL anticipated. And it'll probably continue to happen because good players want to play there. Until Arizona has responsible ownership, nobody will want to play there.

Last edited:

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
At this point it seems like a forgone conclusion that they're moving and that is terrible for Coyotes fans. Losing a team is awful but it looks like it's for the best, short term, until this arena can be built.

On the positive side of things for Coyotes fans, it's blatantly obvious the NHL wants to be in Arizona considering everything that has happened so there is no way they wouldn't go back asap when able.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’d be interested to see the language. I know all these guys wakeboard/wakesurf and many Cali guys surf so wonder where the line for teams is.

Always hard to feel bad for player lifestyle but has to sting a little — hard to imagine being a young millionaire in SLC and you can’t ski.
My guess is, it never gets implemented unless you manage to seriously injure yourself. Like, someone has a freak accident big wave surfing and breaks both their legs badly? Based on your status on the team, and likelihood of a full recovery the team may try to void it.

The other issue is, is skiing viewed as higher risk by the companies that insure NHL contracts? It could be that insurers don't view wakeboarding or surfing as having the same risk as skiing and therefore it violates the teams insurance on players contracts, and since teams won't be able to recoup about 90% or less of the contract (contracts are rarely insured to full value), skiing is specifically prohibited.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Its not overly complicated, NFL also has weird on site supervised workout rules stipulations for violating their contracts whether protected or not, the Kelce brothers mention it in a "No Dumb Question" segment not long ago, that the consensus would be unfair if training out of season, but if you're going to jump out of an airplane, that's on you.
I've cheered for Duke basketball since I was a kid, and Jason Williams (as he was known at Duke) is a major reason I became a fan. Tragic end to a career.

Reactions: Voight

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Honestly I hope they can sort it out and finally find their footing as a franchise, but imo an NHL franchise generally needs the support of local government and it feels like from what I’ve seen on this over the last few years there is a fundamentally broken relationship between the parties (with government actively impeding the path to solutions). I don’t see how it can work unless the organization, officials and taxpayers can get on the same page.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It sounds like a stipulation of Meruelo selling is that they bring back the Coyotes with an expansion team once the Phoenix arena situation gets sorted out.

Complete speculation on my part:

-Salt Lake City went to the NHL adamant about getting an expansion team, where the NHL realized that Salt Lake City can support a team right now.
-The NHL went to Meruelo and basically said "we'll buy the Coyotes off of you to sell them to a team that will move them to Salt Lake City"
-Meruelo and the NHL are negotiating what the deal would look like for that so that it doesn't end up in court, with Meruelo getting things like a guaranteed expansion team (if he gets an arena), a reduced expansion fee and stuff along those lines.

The NHL seems like the one that is pushing this move, just so they don't have to keep the Coyotes playing in Mullett Arena and be stuck in limbo going forward. It sounds like the NHL is trying to convince Meruelo to sell the team to them, rather than Meruelo trying to back out of having a NHL team.

Fair analysis, I dont disagree.

But IMO he isn't dead set on being the owner of a hockey team, it's just a vehicle for him to make money in one of his core businesses - real estate & development. Not too ay he gives no F's about the team or its fans, but hes more interested in using it to some degree.

There's also the Malik McDowell incident, which I think lead NFL teams to include certain language in player contracts (at least for some players)

Reactions: Summer Rose

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Relocation is brutal. But they've spent the last 15 or so years trying to make it work in Arizona and the numbers just aren't there. Shame it had to come to this but it was inevitable.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So, where are the official statements that the team is being moved to Utah? Just more bull shit speculating in here right now.
No one has said it's happening.

But with Seravelli and Friedman putting their names on it, it's not looking good.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I feel so bad for hockey/Coyote fans in Arizona. I’m also going to miss the epic jerseys/logos. Long live the Coyotes! :(
So how the news is being presented, has been super biased against Arizona. They ain't moving. This is just a winter contingency plan if the land they want is outbid by somebody else, which 80% of the time is not. Servelli is a scrub, he's purposely not putting this info in any of his tweets, to get views and emotional reactions.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So how the news is being presented, has been super biased against Arizona. They ain't moving. This is just a winter contingency plan if the land they want is outbid by somebody else, which 80% of the time is not. Servelli is a scrub, he's purposely not putting this info in any of his tweets, to get views and emotional reactions.

Read the Friedman article then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad