PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If free-agency is only going to be two weeks long instead of several months, you have to figure that players are going to be in a rush to sign.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lose = draft lottery. Interesting.

I don't know what would be more glorious as a Pens fan...winning the cup vs losing to MTL, winning the draft lottery, and seeing the looks on the Red Wings fans faces.

Red Wings fans wouldn't be the only ones to lose their collective **** if the latter happened. :laugh:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I’m always on the ice in the summer and it’s not bad at all on sheets I’ve been on.

Now the one rink I frequent decided to turn off the A/C in the building last Labor Day for some odd reason... it was like something out of the ‘87 Fog Bowl, but that was a cheapskate decision I’d hope the NHL wouldn’t do.
does that bring back memories :laugh: when I was a kid we would play at the great southern ice rink. had to do laps just to get the air moving to clear the fog.:laugh:.....but it was cheep and we didn't have many options.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I’m always on the ice in the summer and it’s not bad at all on sheets I’ve been on.

Now the one rink I frequent decided to turn off the A/C in the building last Labor Day for some odd reason... it was like something out of the ‘87 Fog Bowl, but that was a cheapskate decision I’d hope the NHL wouldn’t do.

And no fans allowed in the building really takes the load off the AC. Should be easy to keep that ice in good shape.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Assuming there's money to sign them, because who the hell knows what the cap will look like.

There probably won't be, but that also should increase the rates that players sign at. If I were Rodrigues, I'd be negotiating my contract right now for like 4 years 800k. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
does that bring back memories :laugh: when I was a kid we would play at the great southern ice rink. had to do laps just to get the air moving to clear the fog.:laugh:.....but it was cheep and we didn't have many options.

I could barely breath... and I used to play in mid-day outdoor summer roller hockey leagues.

I was waiting for Freddy Krueger to come out of the fog and ask to play a little three post.

Reactions: The Old Master

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lotsa 1 year deals will happen is my guess.

Concur.

Especially when you consider that the next TV contract (and the revenue sharing) would kick in during the 2021-2022 season (obviously attendance issues will be a factor, but I'd seen speculation of a circa mid 90M's cap once the new TV deal takes effect).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lose = draft lottery. Interesting.

I don't know what would be more glorious as a Pens fan...winning the cup vs losing to MTL, winning the draft lottery, and seeing the looks on the Red Wings fans faces.
I'd rather win the Cup! Sure it'd be great to get a franchise player if you win the lottery, but if you can win a championship, you gotta take that unless Lemieux or Gretzky are the prize.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yep, if you're viewing it from a Pittsburgh perspective we're really in a good position here. I can't see a downside.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Confirmation that the Penguins get to keep their 1st (or they can choose to keep their 1st) if they lose to Montreal. The play-in series is not the playoffs.

So I guess this answers a question I've had. Pens could hypothetically trade for Trevor Daley (or any other non-playoff player) and have him play against Montreal. And only against Montreal.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I hate the format, I hate this lame gimmick, and I'd rather see an asterisk put next to whoever wins this season, even if it's us.

then don’t watch it. You’re not going to have perfect, so why gripe? The league is trying to put a product out there. This is a legit thing & no one will care when the puck drops

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So I guess this answers a question I've had. Pens could hypothetically trade for Trevor Daley (or any other non-playoff player) and have him play against Montreal. And only against Montreal.

Pretty sure trades are done for the season.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Sure thing guy man. :dunno:

I just don’t get the negativity. We’ve had no sports (except the NFL draft) since March. Our favorite sport is announcing a plan to return & people still complain. There’s a great opportunity for the NHL to get some great exposure here with baseball greed keeping them away & the NBA not close. The league has a solid plan & should execute it accordingly.

Reactions: DeSero

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I just don’t get the negativity. We’ve had no sports (except the NFL draft) since March. Our favorite sport is announcing a plan to return & people still complain. There’s a great opportunity for the NHL to get some great exposure here with baseball greed keeping them away & the NBA not close. The league has a solid plan & should execute it accordingly.

Because there’s still serious concerns regarding the logistics of it and the health and safety of the players that the league hasn’t addressed? I get the frustration, but is it better to rush back into it badly organized, and running a real risk of players and staff getting sick and ending up back in the same mess as we were a few months ago?

That’s my point. If those aren’t your concerns, that’s fine. But, I’ll still voice mine if it’s all the same to you. :dunno:

Nobody’s even a hundred percent sure if the play-in counts as the regular season or not yet. The fundamentals of this are very much in question, so I’m going to hold off on being excited until it actually happens, if it does, for my own mental health. :laugh:

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because there’s still serious concerns regarding the logistics of it and the health and safety of the players that the league hasn’t addressed? I get the frustration, but is it better to rush back into it badly organized, and running a real risk of players and staff getting sick and ending up back in the same mess as we were a few months ago?

That’s my point. If those aren’t your concerns, that’s fine. But, I’ll still voice mine if it’s all the same to you. :dunno:

Nobody’s even a hundred percent sure if the play-in counts as the regular season or not yet. The fundamentals of this are very much in question, so I’m going to hold off on being excited until it actually happens, if it does, for my own mental health. :laugh:

What mental health? :razz:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I thought the play-in wasn't considered a real part of the tournament considering that should they lose the team in question has a spot in the draft lottery?

Then again who knows... it's all a giant cluster. Making this shit up as they go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad