PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if one of the teams who "belonged" in the playoff position wins it, I really don't see why it will matter. Every team is in the same boat in terms of playing the games.
I agree, if one of the elite teams wins, particularly recent cup winners, I think the result will hold up. If say it's a team that wouldn't make the playoffs under the normal format, yeah I could see a lot of angst over that. If any of Pittsburgh, St.Louis, WAS, BOS or TB win it'd be mighty hard to argue they weren't deserving or legitimate.

I just hope we get our legs early on. And hopefully Jake can shake off the rust ASAP. As I mentioned previously the teams like BOS and Philly don't have the momentum anymore. Win or lose this scenario would seemingly favor a team like ours who at the time was struggling.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Be curious to see some standings over the past few years of teams that started off the season insanely hot that weren't really good teams

Because that's what it's going to feel like: an early October game

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree, if one of the elite teams wins, particularly recent cup winners, I think the result will hold up. If say it's a team that wouldn't make the playoffs under the normal format, yeah I could see a lot of angst over that. If any of Pittsburgh, St.Louis, WAS, BOS or TB win it'd be mighty hard to argue they weren't deserving or legitimate.

I just hope we get our legs early on. And hopefully Jake can shake off the rust ASAP. As I mentioned previously the teams like BOS and Philly don't have the momentum anymore. Win or lose this scenario would seemingly favor a team like ours who at the time was struggling.
yeah, the biggest gripe people would have is that this removed half of the "grind" factor of surviving an NHL season. Which personally I'm cool with. If we win the mainboards will be saying Uncle Gary created the Crosby Virus to help us out :laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Your obsession with someone as inconspicuous as Nick Bjugstad is bizarre and seems almost pathological
Are you like the one Nick Bjugstad fan in our fan base or something?

In any case, Nick is terrible and he is the outside man looking in (if healthy) and that isn't just because I despise his game, it's because when you are injured for that long, you haven't really built any chemistry with anyone and you're a detriment to the line-up, so he's a guy I would rank behind Rodrigues and Lafferty on the depth chart unless there was an injury to a center.

Even then, Lafferty and Rodrigues can play C and I would probably still use them over Nick.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Bjugstad should be a nice asset waiting in the wings to prove himself...

"There's no reason you shouldn't be out there Bugs, now have a seat, watch, and think about that!"

Give Bjugstad some time, he will best the Brent Sopel getting hurt picking up a cracker off the floor injury in his own stupid way.

@PenguinsPR - "Nick Bjugstad is cleared for contact and a game time decision to play in the line-up" 20mins ago
@PenguinsPR - "Nick Bjugstad re-injures sports hernia after eating a massive Qdoba burrito and trying to drop a deuce, will be out for 6 months." 5mins ago

Reactions: Dominance

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sabres always start off hot.
Well, lately yeah. I remember that one year with Miller & crew where they were out and had an insanely hot run and made the playoffs. Or am I mistaking that season? When they had the perpetually injured Tim Connolly having a fantastic season as well. I think it was the year Maxim Afinogenov (my dream Pens winger for a long time, yeah we all have weird obsessions) had a huge season.

Reactions: ownal

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
yeah, the biggest gripe people would have is that this removed half of the "grind" factor of surviving an NHL season. Which personally I'm cool with. If we win the mainboards will be saying Uncle Gary created the Crosby Virus to help us out :laugh:
With Sid and Geno being in their mid 30's, avoiding a long tiring season should help them more than most superstars. Most every player should be helped I suppose, but the older guys in particular. I could be way off here but I truly believe this scenario is tailor made for us. A guy like Marleau should benefit quite a bit himself. And when you can add a player the caliber of Jake Guentzel, that really (in theory anyhow) gives us a heavy hand. We just have to hit the ground running. Two or three bad games early on and we're toast.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well, lately yeah. I remember that one year with Miller & crew where they were out and had an insanely hot run and made the playoffs. Or am I mistaking that season? When they had the perpetually injured Tim Connolly having a fantastic season as well. I think it was the year Maxim Afinogenov (my dream Pens winger for a long time, yeah we all have weird obsessions) had a huge season.
With Briere and Drury? was it when Sens beat Pens and lost to Sabres in Crosbys first playoffs?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
With Sid and Geno being in their mid 30's, avoiding a long tiring season should help them more than most superstars. Most every player should be helped I suppose, but the older guys in particular. I could be way off here but I truly believe this scenario is tailor made for us. A guy like Marleau should benefit quite a bit himself. And when you can add a player the caliber of Jake Guentzel, that really (in theory anyhow) gives us a heavy hand. We just have to hit the ground running. Two or three bad games early on and we're toast.
yeah, we're lucky to have it help us wait out some injuries for sure. Sadly, we all know they will be replaced by new ones, right?

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
With Briere and Drury? was it when Sens beat Pens and lost to Sabres in Crosbys first playoffs?
I feel like that was the year? I think they had a bunch of injuries and were like hovering well below 8th place and then they went on some crazy streak. I might be remembering the year wrong.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bjugstad should be a nice asset waiting in the wings to prove himself...

"There's no reason you shouldn't be out there Bugs, now have a seat, watch, and think about that!"

Maybe they can show Vanilla Ice 2.0 some inspirational videos . . .

tenor.gif

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Is Vince Russo running the NHL? How the hell do write up a playoff system but leave out the the "best of" numbers all the through it?

That has to be a f***ing rib.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like that was the year? I think they had a bunch of injuries and were like hovering well below 8th place and then they went on some crazy streak. I might be remembering the year wrong.

Crosby's first playoffs was 2007. Ottawa beat the Pens in the first round, then the Sabres in the ECF, before losing to the Ducks in the finals.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad