PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Thought he sucked at the WJC. But, to his defense, 17-year-olds do not dominate the WJC.

Good prospect, but he is a C. I'd probably draft someone else. A D, perhaps.

My prospect knowledge is certainly lacking in recent years, but I'd be taking Byfield with the 2OA. Mostly because I think he's the second best player available, but also because Crosby and Malkin are getting up there in age. Drysdale isn't a bad consolation prize for missing out on AL or QB. JD's size is a bit of concern, but that's becoming less and less of a problem in the "new" NHL.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
My prospect knowledge is certainly lacking in recent years, but I'd be taking Byfield with the 2OA. Mostly because I think he's the second best player available, but also because Crosby and Malkin are getting up there in age. Drysdale isn't a bad consolation prize for missing out on AL or QB. JD's size is a bit of concern, but that's becoming less and less of a problem in the "new" NHL.

I REALLY hated Byfield's game at the WJC. He was WAY over his head.

He is big and strong and dominates boys in the OHL. He does not have a pro game yet. He is a riskier prospect. I am not sure I have him #2, but I do not know enough about the other prospects to comment.

If we were to have the #2 pick, I would probably move down and draft Drysdale... or even take him 2nd. Drysdale is a RD, we could isolate him on the third pair and let him grow. I thought he has a very Letang-like game. Great skater, great offensive instincts, good defensively. Being the Letang fan I am, I love him. So I would probably pick him at 2.

I am not a big Byfield guy at all. Lafrenière is plug-and-play. Byfield may need some seasoning.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That moment when I come into the series thread and we're talking what we'd do with a potential lottery pick :laugh:

In the unlikely event of this happening, I can't see past BPA and that's almost certainly not a dman.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Very well might be Drysdale.

Lafrenière is CLEARLY #1.

Byfield is sliding in some rankings.

Which ones? I've yet to see a ranking where Drysdale is above Byfield or has cracked the top 3, but I haven't been keeping up with it religiously so might be out of date.

edit: I also don't think I've seen one where he beats out Stutzle either, who seems the obvious choice for 2OA if one isn't high on Byfield.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Which ones? I've yet to see a ranking where Drysdale is above Byfield or has cracked the top 3, but I haven't been keeping up with it religiously so might be out of date.

edit: I also don't think I've seen one where he beats out Stutzle either, who seems the obvious choice for 2OA if one isn't high on Byfield.

Oh, I was commenting on Byfield sliding down a little, not necessarily Drysdale being ahead of him at the moment. That's also why I said that I would probably move down to draft Dyrsdale and get extra assets. I really like Drysdale.

Of course, I like Lafrenière even more, as any sane person would! So, if we get #1 by some miracle. Draft Lafrenière and laugh at Detroit and Ottawa.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My concern with this series is that it feels like it may be similar to the 2019 Islanders series, where the Penguins go just completely dry offensively against a strong defensive team with a great goalie. The Habs were a very strong ES team this year, with being a top-5 team in both xGF/60 and xGA/60. If Price gets hot, the Penguins could be in for an ugly series.

One encouraging thing is that Price actually had a pretty shitty season himself, with putting up a slightly below average save% while playing on a strong defensive team. This resulted in him giving up 22 more goals than expected on the year at ES, which is pretty awful. But the problem is if a rested Price plays better than he played in the season and the Habs continue their strong ES play, the Penguins may be in trouble. You can't win a series on special teams alone (Montreal is awful on special teams), unless Murray or Jarry go god mode.

Combining that with the Penguins being a mediocre offensive team last year and some spotty recent playoff history for some of their important forwards (namely Zucker, Sheary and McCann, I'm tempted to include Marleau here due to his age) and I'm not super confident right now. The Penguins should win, but it's not a slam dunk.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, some clarity on that 1st round pick:

I can't see a way that the Penguins will have to give up the 1st if they lose the play-in round, but it's not official yet. If the NHL is insisting "the playoffs are still only 16 teams" and the Penguins don't make it to the final 16 teams, I have no clue how they can argue that the Penguins have to give up their conditional 1st based on making the playoffs.

Reactions: Factorial

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Also, some clarity on that 1st round pick:

I can't see a way that the Penguins will have to give up the 1st if they lose the play-in round, but it's not official yet. If the NHL is insisting "the playoffs are still only 16 teams" and the Penguins don't make it to the final 16 teams, I have no clue how they can argue that the Penguins have to give up their conditional 1st based on making the playoffs.

The league forcing us to play a play-in game and THEN consider we made the playoffs even if we lose would be an absolute travesty.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
this could be our best chance to replace one of our big three. i might be looking to move up not trade down. if it doesn't look like that may happen, then yes trade down and restock.

Moving up for who? Lafrenière? It would take overpayment. Byfield? High bust potential IMO. I am always weary of these big guys who dominate junior while having a very raw game.

From what I read, 2 to 10 is pretty even. So if we get a lottery pick, I would not move up. I would move down if someone wants a specific player and MY specific player would be Drysdale. So unless I am like 6th and thinks he is gone by 3, I would not move up. And, even then, I probably would not move up for him. Love him, but he is worth the extra assets?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Bjugstad is the real life version of this

They're at least optimistic about Guentzel coming back. I'm intrigued to see he's still in rehab at this point, I would have expected him to be nearly finished with that at this point.

Im not heartbroken about Bjugstad...I can only be glad he and his shitty game are not an option to throw out there on game day....I didn’t read JR’s comments about Jake to be anything but cautious...don’t take them as a negative...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With Bjugstad out, that locks McCann into the 3C spot and probably gives some clarity on what the lines will be. I think we'll see:

Guentzel-Crosby-XXXX
XXXX-Malkin-Rust
XXXX-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

With Zucker, Sheary and Marleau alternating through the open spots. I'd be tempted to say that Zucker will only be on L1 or L2, Sheary will only be on L1 or L3 and Marleau will only be on L2 or L3, but I'm not positive that Sullivan wouldn't try Zucker on the 3rd line.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Zucker on the third line would be asinine IMO. It made sense to put Kessel there because he didn't jibe with Sid or Geno, but Zucker clearly has chemistry with Sid. If you want Jake with Sid, then fine, but I think the odds of Sheary or Marleau being a better fit on L2 than Zucker are slim to none.

I think a pretty strong setup would be:
Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Marleau-McCann-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I guess swapping Zucker and Guentzel isn't insane because both seem to complement Sid, but IDK how Sullivan can be so averse to playing Jake with Geno after they looked so good together earlier in the season. I'm also not married to the idea of Sheary on the first line - Hornqvist or even Tanev might be a better fit, but at least Sheary has worked well with Sid in the past.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Byfield is pretty damn big and can skate like the wind. That's impressive. I didn't watch any of the World Juniors so I have no clue why he struggled. I'm assuming it's an age/maturity thing. From what I recall he's almost a year younger than Lafreniere. Something similar going on to the Ovechkin and Malkin draft scenario.

Apparently there's even comparisons of Byfield to Malkin. Also, hopefully the scenario of the Pens being in the lottery doesn't happen. :laugh:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
So if the playoffs have 16 teams, and the regular season is officially over, then do the stats from this play-in tourney not count towards anything?

If Geno gets a hat trick it doesn't count towards his season stats or his playoff stats?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have still yet to see a legitimate justification for not putting Crosby and Guentzel back together. Pointing out that Guentzel-Malkin-Rust lit it up earlier in the year for 15 games doesn't outweigh years of Crosby and Guentzel destroying the league.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Not that we'll get him but Byfield is going to be a stud in the NHL. The kid is legit.

I don't put much stock into size because I've seen over and over again it's the size of the fight not the size of the fighter that means more in players. He has the heart also. He has all the tools and keeps getting better. He could turn out to be better than Lafreniere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad