PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If we have a chance to take a prospect like Byfield we better f***ing doing it.

If we could run a Byfield - Malkin - Crosby center depth during Sid and Geno’s twilight it would be great and I doubt anyone with that level of talent busts here with those two guiding him.

And he'd fill in on the top 6 thanks to the bi-weekly injuries.

But yeah, let's just hope the Pens don't go into the lottery.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Moving up for who? Lafrenière? It would take overpayment. Byfield? High bust potential IMO. I am always weary of these big guys who dominate junior while having a very raw game.

From what I read, 2 to 10 is pretty even. So if we get a lottery pick, I would not move up. I would move down if someone wants a specific player and MY specific player would be Drysdale. So unless I am like 6th and thinks he is gone by 3, I would not move up. And, even then, I probably would not move up for him. Love him, but he is worth the extra assets?

This is the thing about Drysdale. He is (and thanks for the links) probably middle of the pack in that 2-10 group behind Lafreniere, going by consensus. But because he's the only dman in there, he's probably going to go pretty high. Top 3 wouldn't surprise me, although I'm not sure it's wise. Which also complicates the idea of moving down for him; I doubt he's there beyond 5 at most, right or wrong by raw talent.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If we have a chance to take a prospect like Byfield we better f***ing doing it.

If we could run a Byfield - Malkin - Crosby center depth during Sid and Geno’s twilight it would be great and I doubt anyone with that level of talent busts here with those two guiding him.

Meh. Byfield is as likely to become Chad Kilger as he is becoming a star. If he can be Jordan Staal, I'd be ecstatic, but he doesn't seem to have the smart. I have not seen a lot of him though.

I am low on his kind of player. Physical specimen who dominates because he is bigger than his competition and not because he has a refined game. Can he refine it? Sure! But I'd prefer Drysdale. Very personal choice.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Meh. Byfield is as likely to become Chad Kilger as he is becoming a star. If he can be Jordan Staal, I'd be ecstatic, but he doesn't seem to have the smart. I have not seen a lot of him though.

I am low on his kind of player. Physical specimen who dominates because he is bigger than his competition and not because he has a refined game. Can he refine it? Sure! But I'd prefer Drysdale. Very personal choice.

I get what you are saying on the physical side but it's a similar argument people have made for Lafreniere playing in the Q and dominating with putting up points and getting away with more of a finesse style of play.

I don't know if I see him as a Staal type player. His passing/playmaking is much better than Staal's. He's kind of a unique player. One guy he's always compared to unfairly is Malkin and while I don't see the ultra high end gamebreaking Malkin skill in him I do see what they say by that comparison. He's a horse on the ice with skating like Geno, goes to the tough spots, gets feisty, has really good hands in close.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so we should be starting Murray in net, right? wonder how quick the hook is if needed. In a short series like this goaltending is huge.
Price was not particularly great this year, BUT a lot of it was being overworked and now he is very rested.

If price is bringing his A game and our goal tending is mediocre it will be a difficult series. That said, if Jake comes back and is well and if Sid is finally 100% we should be able to overwhelm them. I do worry about Price a little bit, but as long as we are playing team defense like we did when we looked like world beaters we can beat everyone.

Reactions: Ryder71

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The big worry with Murray is he seems to be not mentally focused after long breaks. :dunno:

Or really at all in general the last couple of seasons.

I used to love his attitude but I'm starting to get the idea that it's possibly becoming a roadblock to him improving and working on his game.

But that could also just be me doing some really poor armchair psychology.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
The big worry with Murray is he seems to be not as mentally focused after long breaks and has been a slow starter. I really wish there was a game or two before the play-in just to see what kind of condition his condition is in. :dunno:

that is a worry I have as well. If management for some unknown reason has soured on murray some they could start Jarry in net but that would be a loud and clear signal who is trending towards being #1 next season. But at this point I think you almost have to start Murray but is that the right choice, dunno. I agree I wish we had some sort of pre-season game thingy.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I get what you are saying on the physical side but it's a similar argument people have made for Lafreniere playing in the Q and dominating with putting up points and getting away with more of a finesse style of play.

I don't know if I see him as a Staal type player. His passing/playmaking is much better than Staal's. He's kind of a unique player. One guy he's always compared to unfairly is Malkin and while I don't see the ultra high end gamebreaking Malkin skill in him I do see what they say by that comparison. He's a horse on the ice with skating like Geno, goes to the tough spots, gets feisty, has really good hands in close.

What I love about Lafrenière has nothing to do with his production. His game is VERY mature for his age. He uses his teammates well. He works the angles like a pro. He is patient. He plays very well without the puck, both offensively and defensively. Impressive hockey IQ even not considering age. These things translate very well to the pros. Add the production and the skill level and that's why he is the number one pick and a strong one IMO.

Byfield... well... yeah, the skills are there. The vision is there too, great playmaker. But the maturity in the game isn't there yet. Can he develop it? Hell yeah! Does he excite me as a prospect? No. THere are hundreds of players with good hands in the minors. He has a lot of good attributes as you said and that's why he is an easy top 5 pick. I just see high bust potential (for a top 5 pick, he is still more likely to succeed than not, too much talent).

If we were to get a top 5 pick, I would not want him. If he were to fall and IF we had a shot at picking him. Sure, I would be happy.

Last edited:

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014

Bjugstad is the real life version of this

They're at least optimistic about Guentzel coming back. I'm intrigued to see he's still in rehab at this point, I would have expected him to be nearly finished with that at this point.

...is bjugstad the new beau bennett? :help: i could've sworn he already had another surgery, but time truly has no meaning these days :laugh:

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You heard wrong: An explainer for the very confusing 2020 NHL Draft Lottery, which will include two phases

Basically, there are 8 'placeholder' spots. So, the 7 teams and then the 8 placeholders (8-15) with the lowest odds.

IF any one of the placeholder spots is picked for 1st overall, then there's a 2nd lottery among the 8 play in round losers, each having an equal 12.5% chance of winning.

EDIT: That's pretty ****** up. :laugh:
Lottery #2 makes sense to me now. If one of the teams to be named later does get one of the top 3 spots, you could see a team like MTL or CHI intentionally losing the play in round to slide into that spot. Presumably being the #12 seeds one of them would be the default "Team A". A second lottery makes it much less enticing to tank the play in round.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Lottery #2 makes sense to me now. If one of the teams to be named later does get one of the top 3 spots, you could see a team like MTL or CHI intentionally losing the play in round to slide into that spot. Presumably being the #12 seeds one of them would be the default "Team A". A second lottery makes it much less enticing to tank the play in round.

And it evens the playing field too.

If a team like the Pens, who were like 90% sure of making the playoffs, lose a fluke series against the Habs, they have a consolation prize.

I think this mechanism has been put in place to appease the teams that have to play the play-in round. They need to get something for risking not making it. Especially the 5th-6th seeds.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have still yet to see a legitimate justification for not putting Crosby and Guentzel back together. Pointing out that Guentzel-Malkin-Rust lit it up earlier in the year for 15 games doesn't outweigh years of Crosby and Guentzel destroying the league.
I don't think you need much justification. Both options are very good. Assuming Rust and Sheary are the other top 6 wings, I obviously want Geno-Rust and Sid-Sheary. At that point, I understand the idea of balancing the styles of players with Zucker-Sid-Sheary and Guentzel-Geno-Rust, and I understand keeping Sid and Jake together. Honestly, I don't think you can really go wrong with Jake and Zucker as long as they are our top 2 LW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad