Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Beau-Hayes-Puus should work alright. Sully needs to see them as a 2-way line instead of a shutdown line and we might get some decent production for a 3rd line.
I mean, I don't see how Sullivan can logically bring back the 2 offense and 2 defense line concept to this season when there were so many struggles last year getting the bottom 6 to score. If you want a shutdown line, run Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari. Then make your third line Beau-Hayes-Yager/Puusy/Koivu/etc and lean on them for offense.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I mean, I don't see how Sullivan can logically bring back the 2 offense and 2 defense line concept to this season when there were so many struggles last year getting the bottom 6 to score. If you want a shutdown line, run Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari. Then make your third line Beau-Hayes-Yager/Puusy/Koivu/etc and lean on them for offense.

It's not Sullivan's fault that he didn't get the exact types of players he needed for his super complicated and newfangled system

/s

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The more I look at our team the more I wonder why we signed so many players.

Is Lizotte supposed to sit as 13th man. Did Puljujarvi not show he deserves to play?

We have no spots for any young players to really fight for.

I don't get it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Rossi's update suggested that it was Crosby's uncertainty over term that might be the delay, not the Penguins.

Sid supposedly doesn't want to leave the Penguins in a bad spot with his contract if he can't finish it.
Interesting. Sid should realize that he will leave the Penguins in a bad spot regardless. It always happens when you lose an all-time great.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Pastrnak went right from his draft year to playing 25 games in the AHL and then full time in the NHL his first season…people here don’t even want Yager playing in the NHL his second season lol…if he’s good, he’s good enough and should be playing imo…McAvoy played one year of college hockey after being drafted and then played full time for the Bruins…imo if we “hit” on Yager, he should be playing in the NHL this season…otherwise he likely won’t ever amount to an impact player and we won’t have a quick style rebuild…same with Pickering
I don't know if we will hit on Yager, and we won't know if Sully doesn't even give him a chance. I also don't know why he wasn't in the AHL last year.

I hear people complaining about Yager's size, but there are a ton of smallish players out there doing well (ie. Jack/Quinn Hughes).

I agree with you though, a quick style rebuild is late, and really puts pressure on Yager, and the guys we got from Carolina to become impact NHL players. The odds are slim of course, but that's what we have.

If his plan is to get lucky and have a mid and late 1st round picks turn into franchise players we’re screwed.
This could have started years ago, and then you have a few draft picks and increase the odds to get lucky. However, you have to get lucky in the draft to win.

Can't keep drafting Crosbys and Malkins.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Is Lizotte supposed to sit as 13th man. Did Puljujarvi not show he deserves to play?

I don't get it.

Thank you! It had to be said.

Personally, if you want the third line to produce a little more, you need to insert someone on the Bunting-Malkin line and drop Rakell down to the third unit. Then you might see a little more middle-six forward balance. Otherwise, it will be exactly as last year. Only the names have changed a little.

Kevin Hayes has history playing either wing position. I think he might be a fit on Malkin's right wing. That might do three things: a) make Hayes a tad more interested than he has been in recent years; b) provide Malkin with some cover defensively, and a guy who could take draws in the D zone; and c) balance out the scoring a little bit more.

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Hayes

Then we could have a bunch of guys vying for those third and fourth line roles. But we still have too many names. I would love to see Yager get a shot at that third-line center job, but even if Hayes is playing wing, we STILL have Eller. We now have Lizotte. Ponomarev and Poulin need to be given a legit shot, too. I think Rakell-Yager-Puustinen could be a nice third line, but then Eller and Lizotte are on the fourth line, probably with Acciari. So, Puljujarvi sits. Beauvillier sits. Makes little sense, unless those guys completely crap the bed during the preseason.

So to summarize KrisLetAngry, yeah we signed and brought in too many forwards.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I don't get it.

This has been this team's Groundhog Day scenario for a long time, now. Sign a bunch of bottom six whatever players that we all kinda fool ourselves into being optimistic about only to realize the closer it gets to camp that the team has basically rigged the lineup months in advance and training camp is just a farce. There's nothing to get, really. Sullivan doesn't want to deal with working young players into his lineup and all that entails unless he is absolutely forced to. How anyone thinks this team is going to turn the corner at some point with him "developing" this team's draft talent is beyond me.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Anyone else super gassed up to watch Kevin Hayes skate around at like three mph and be lazy as shit and somehow still be more effective than Jeff Carter was?

I'm ready for camp already. I want to see what idiotic line combinations Sullivan trots out and see what veteran hanger-on grabs a roster spot over Yager. Lets gooo
I’m ready for any type of hockey right now. At least September is right around the corner.

Thank you! It had to be said.

Personally, if you want the third line to produce a little more, you need to insert someone on the Bunting-Malkin line and drop Rakell down to the third unit. Then you might see a little more middle-six forward balance. Otherwise, it will be exactly as last year. Only the names have changed a little.

Kevin Hayes has history playing either wing position. I think he might be a fit on Malkin's right wing. That might do three things: a) make Hayes a tad more interested than he has been in recent years; b) provide Malkin with some cover defensively, and a guy who could take draws in the D zone; and c) balance out the scoring a little bit more.

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Hayes

Then we could have a bunch of guys vying for those third and fourth line roles. But we still have too many names. I would love to see Yager get a shot at that third-line center job, but even if Hayes is playing wing, we STILL have Eller. We now have Lizotte. Ponomarev and Poulin need to be given a legit shot, too. I think Rakell-Yager-Puustinen could be a nice third line, but then Eller and Lizotte are on the fourth line, probably with Acciari. So, Puljujarvi sits. Beauvillier sits. Makes little sense, unless those guys completely crap the bed during the preseason.

So to summarize KrisLetAngry, yeah we signed and brought in too many forwards.
I don’t want Hayes anywhere near the top six forwards.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don’t want Hayes anywhere near the top six forwards.

Me neither but I think that's exactly what they're gonna do. At least part of the year. I can't help but think that they believe they've found a budget-friendly 2C to "help" Malkin by moving him to the wing. You know how this team loves to "help" Malkin.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Me neither but I think that's exactly what they're gonna do. At least part of the year. I can't help but think that they believe they've found a budget-friendly 2C to "help" Malkin by moving him to the wing. You know how this team loves to "help" Malkin.
Budget friendly 2C with 50% retained from one team and then the team who had him traded him with a 2nd to us.

I don't expect anything from Hayes and i just like the idea of a free 2nd over paying some 3C 4 years at 3 million.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don't know if we will hit on Yager, and we won't know if Sully doesn't even give him a chance. I also don't know why he wasn't in the AHL last year.

I hear people complaining about Yager's size, but there are a ton of smallish players out there doing well (ie. Jack/Quinn Hughes).

I agree with you though, a quick style rebuild is late, and really puts pressure on Yager, and the guys we got from Carolina to become impact NHL players. The odds are slim of course, but that's what we have.

This could have started years ago, and then you have a few draft picks and increase the odds to get lucky. However, you have to get lucky in the draft to win.

Can't keep drafting Crosbys and Malkins.
I don’t think you need Crosby’s and Malkins but I do think you need at least Barkovs or Mackinnons. The most proven method of winning cups is to get elite talent in the top 5 and build around it.

It’s not the only way, but seems to be the most proven.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He’s not eligible to play in the AHL.

I think the only way he can is if his junior teams season is finished & WBS still has games going.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don't get it.

Obviously you don’t under Dubas’ strategy of “getting younger” by adding 29-32 year olds.

Don’t worry “we expect Koivunen and Poulin to compete for a roster spot”.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I don’t think you need Crosby’s and Malkins but I do think you need at least Barkovs or Mackinnons. The most proven method of winning cups is to get elite talent in the top 5 and build around it.

It’s not the only way, but seems to be the most proven.
Florida is a bad example. I don't like talking about them as they are an enigma.

Remember how the Bobrovsky contract was the worst in the universe then suddenly last 2 playoffs becomes elite? WTH!

I remember announcers saying 3/4 of their team were not draft picks. Sure Barkov is an elite draft pick, but their other best players weren't draft picks aka Tkachuck, Reinhart, Forsling and had to say eRod who did really well.

Who knew that Huberdeau trade would have been so one sided!

Honestly, if we had won our last 2 games against the bottom feeders 2 years ago, and pushed Florida out of the playoffs, that would have changed that organization permanently! They may have traded big pieces to retool, instead of hunkering down.

Anyhow.....
McKinnon IS a Crosby/Malkin from a draft perspective.
AND
So is Barkov (#4 overall).

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I don't even remember all of the signings. Hopefully Bemstrom pulls a Johnsson and gets his contract terminated so he can go home. Waive Nieto. Deal Acciari. Why did GMKK sign Beauvillier?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't even remember all of the signings. Hopefully Bemstrom pulls a Johnsson and gets his contract terminated so he can go home. Waive Nieto. Deal Acciari. Why did GMKK sign Beauvillier?

Because his boss probably told him to. He was getting itchy about the idea of possibly having to give icetime to someone who has only been toiling in the AHL for like three seasons.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
O'Connor - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Puustinen
Hayes - Eller - Rakell
Beauvillier - Lizotte - Puljujarvi

With:
Bemstrom
Nieto
Acciari
Poulin
Also on the roster.

And:
Yager
Koivunen
Ponomarev
Gruden
All pushing for spots.

This roster is one big yikes.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
O'Connor - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Puustinen
Hayes - Eller - Rakell
Beauvillier - Lizotte - Puljujarvi

With:
Bemstrom
Nieto
Acciari
Poulin
Also on the roster.

And:
Yager
Koivunen
Ponomarev
Gruden
All pushing for spots.

This roster is one big yikes.

Nieto is never playing again for them. Bemstrom probably gets waived to Wbs. Acciari will be on line 4.
Poulin and JP will be Healthy scratches.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's not Sullivan's fault that he didn't get the exact types of players he needed for his super complicated and newfangled system

/s
According to some nitwits on here, it's because he lost Ron Hextall.

I don't get it.
I mean, you're spot on and something that I wondered myself. I thought with the signing of Lizotte and the Hayes trade that we would absolutely have seen Eller and Acciari sent out. Obviously, it's still early and trades can still happen. I still expect Eller to be traded out.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So Malkin finally gets to be #1 center at age 38/39? ;)

Honestly, I think Dubas has the Boston style rebuild in mind, albeit late to the party. Question is if he hits any homeruns with his draft picks (aka a McAvoy or Pasternak). Problem is we won't find out in time.
I'll always have a soft spot for Geno being a trooper his whole career while being shafted for wingers.

Nieto is never playing again for them. Bemstrom probably gets waived to Wbs. Acciari will be on line 4.
Poulin and JP will be Healthy scratches.
Sullivan reading this and being all...

giphy.gif

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
According to some nitwits on here, it's because he lost Ron Hextall.

I mean, you're spot on and something that I wondered myself. I thought with the signing of Lizotte and the Hayes trade that we would absolutely have seen Eller and Acciari sent out. Obviously, it's still early and trades can still happen. I still expect Eller to be traded out.
I'm actually shocked Eller is still here to be honest. His cap hit is perfectly fine and movable and his play last season showed to a contender he is a massive add to their bottom 6. Dubas must be doing the bare minimum to try moving him.

Acciari being demoted to wbs is fine with however much of his shitty contract gets buried and Butstrom just f***ing sucks. Not even sure why they kept him. He's barely any sort of decent depth for even a team like San Jose.

Gurgles lives in Cali and watches a ton of King's games, I end up watching a lot as well since my brother is in SD and nephew is a big Kings fan, I like Lizotte and was fine with him signed but then we got Hayes and none of the bottom 6 garbage was moved out. Also I have zero faith in Sullivan using him correctly. The good is Lizotte is a hard worker and will always bust his ass in any assignment. But he'll be killing himself for a coach that doesn't give a f*** about him.

Reactions: SEALBound

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know I sound like a broken record but I don't understand how you guys can watch how Eller was used last year by Sullivan and think that Dubas is going to be allowed to trade him. Of COURSE he's still here.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad