Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yep, and they drafted two more while already having Lennox and Tikkanen in the first draft that that've had more than 5 picks in forever. You gotta think one of those dudes should be ready in 3 years, and if not we could replace Varly in FA or via trade.

Yes. Having a fairly young "stud" goaltender with a long-term contract kicking in and then using not one but two picks on goaltenders in yet another year with less than the allotted 7 picks, reeks of more than simply "keeping the cupboard stocked".

You've got a good point there. Especially in light of how quickly Hogberg was signed after the season concluded.

And one of those selected goalies was in his last year of eligibility and is already seeing KHL action, so he's at an advanced stage for a freshly baked draftee. This is not to mention the Naumovs connection.

Of course - and this is just a minor observation - neither Tikkanen nor Lennox has given us any indication of being an NHL option one day, even if Tikkanen's freak size and several overly solid AHL games last season can let us dream a bit.

Can't believe Skarek is still hanging around.

If they knew there was something seriously wrong at the time then they probably grab a goalie that has played in the NHL more recently IMO. They probably knew there was bubbling up and started to cover their asses a little bit.

I'd say the fact that they got an older, already NHL-tested, European UFA goaltender who has spent 3 straight seasons being one of, if not the best, goalies in the SHL as opposed to one of the many current NHL-level 3rd stringers or fringe NHL goalies ultimately available means that they're not just trying to be smarter than everyone else while knowing that Sorokin is in a bad place, but rather are still counting on Sorokin fulfilling his desired role while aptly safeguarding themselves against that worst-case scenario.

Knowing Lou, the team prolly wanted a goalie like Hogberg because A) they felt he could actually deliver back-up style NHL minutes in a pinch (or beyond) and B) if all goes well with Sorokin and Varlamov, much less someone like Tikkanen steps up to the plate as a rising option, they can always just let Hogberg go back to Sweden, where he'd be welcomed with open arms by a plethora of teams.

But like I (think I) mentioned when we signed Hogberg, I cannot envision this goaltender having been signed and ready to come back over without knowing that he has a very viable opportunity to see NHL minutes. I've read Swedish interviews and I know he's at a point in his career where he had more than enough feature comforts. The only way to get him over here was with some type of situational description that basically promises some NHL time.

Fun fact:
In Swedish, his name is pronounced more or less "Hughk - berry".

Last edited:
Reactions: impaaaaaact

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So any PTO's? I wonder if we go for a RHD, but the Isles badly need that depth also.
Funny you say that. I was looking at the options and the one that jumped out at me was Shattenkirk. We don't really have room, and he'll find a better situation where he can play regularly (EDM?), but he'd be great depth. Not realistic though.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Funny you say that. I was looking at the options and the one that jumped out at me was Shattenkirk. We don't really have room, and he'll find a better situation where he can play regularly (EDM?), but he'd be great depth. Not realistic though.
Tsn had EDM bringing in Dermott on a PTO

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I only like PTOs if they have a shot at making the roster. A real shot. If Hudson Fasching wasn’t on a contract for example, give me options for that 14th spot.

If there’s a RH guy you’d want down in the minors that’s better than what we got, I’m in.

Shattenkirk doesn’t seem like the bus riding type.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Huh? He's 35 and was scratched for all 6 games against the Panthers. What good team is he going to play as a full-time starter? He's 7th defenseman at this point.
He did play 61 game with BOS last season, and they were a "[very] good team". And even 7th defensemen can play pretty regularly taking inevitable injuries into consideration. With the Isles he'd be an 8th defenseman, so not a good fit (not even thinking about the money which also doesn't work).

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
He did play 61 game with BOS last season, and they were a "[very] good team". And even 7th defensemen can play pretty regularly taking inevitable injuries into consideration. With the Isles he'd be an 8th defenseman, so not a good fit (not even thinking about the money which also doesn't work).

Also, PP insurance. If a Dobson or Reilly miss any chunk of the season, it makes the PP2 even worse than it was last year.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

At what point do we stop with the love affair with older players? Bolduc needs some ice time. If we need someone, we likely will have the same opportunity as we did last year when Reilly became available. All these PTO's out there and Shattenkirk hasn't taken one yet. That might well be an indication he will sit on the sidelines in case someone has a need and then he jumps in. He was SCRATCHED the whole series against the Panthers. He's not the answer if Dobson or Pulock gets hurt, and I was a big fan of his during his top years.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
At what point do we stop with the love affair with older players? Bolduc needs some ice time. If we need someone, we likely will have the same opportunity as we did last year when Reilly became available. All these PTO's out there and Shattenkirk hasn't taken one yet. That might well be an indication he will sit on the sidelines in case someone has a need and then he jumps in. He was SCRATCHED the whole series against the Panthers. He's not the answer if Dobson or Pulock gets hurt, and I was a big fan of his during his top years.
I'm not advocating for him - so no love affair here. He'd be nice insurance if we could afford him, but we can't and he'll get a better situation offered since he'd be basically an 8th defenseman for us. Which brings me back to the original point we had - let's see where Shattenkirk ends up. I disagree with your point and would not be surprised at all to see him end up with a good team. But maybe you're right. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad