Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2024-25: Re-Tool, Re-Group, Re-Mix, Re-Build

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Matt Martin will be in camp on a PTO. I can definitely see them signing him to a 1 year minimum deal and keeping him basically as the 13th/14th forward.

He will only play a hand full of games possibly.

Truth is the entire locker room loves him and I could actually see Roy loving him and wanting him around.

I don’t have a problem with it as long as he’s not taking ice time away from a younger guy or regularly in the line up.

Hes also 45 games away from 1k. If the next 2 years he plays 20-25 games he can reach 1k

Last edited:

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
Matt Martin will be in camp on a PTO. I can definitely see them signing him to a 1 year minimum deal and keeping him basically as the 13th/14th forward.

Truth is the entire locker room loves him and I could actually see Roy loving him and wanting him around.

I don’t have a problem with it as long as he’s not taking ice time away from a younger guy or regularly in the line up.
I had suggested this possibility and it didnt go over too well. I agree, it can't hurt as long as its not blocking a role for a younger player.

He's 45 games from 1000, as a part-time player he has a shot and I'd imagine a reduced role would keep him fresher. It'll all depend on cap gymnastics and if he has a good camp.

Reactions: MJF and SI90

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
beaker-everyone-stay-calm-d238pajhmokptrtf.gif

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Hes also 45 games away from 1k. If the next 2 years he plays 20-25 games he can reach 1k
I think if Martin makes the team Roy will be "obligated" to dress him 45 times this season. Bothers me if he's legit taking a roster spot from a prospect who had a good camp.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Bringing in Martin, even on a PTO, is just embarrassing. He is so washed up it’s a waste of a spot, even in camp. I’ve no doubt Lou will sign him to a deal. Now just wait for Clutterbuck. 😭
I would not be surprised to see someone like Maclean getting waived to fit Martin.

Wonder if clutter is planning to retire or PTO for him somewhere? Maybe he is a singing later in the year.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Good thing isles invested in Varlamov as the back up. I know a lot of poster's wanted him traded a couple of years ago and we’re not thrilled with his new contract, but this is why he was brought back.

A short stint without Sorokin won’t be as bad with Varly in net, if he were to miss significant time, I may become a little worried. No need to stress yet.

Happy to see Martin on a PTO. I think he still has a spot on the roster in certain matchups (45 games is the perfect amount of playing time).

The team has more pressing issues than who plays wing on the 4th line. I’m more concerned with PK and top 6.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think if Martin makes the team Roy will be "obligated" to dress him 45 times this season. Bothers me if he's legit taking a roster spot from a prospect who had a good camp.
Would bother me too if that is indeed the case. They’re not bringing Clutterbuck back who’s actually a great defensive forward. We’ll see how it shakes out

Good thing isles invested in Varlamov as the back up. I know a lot of poster's wanted him traded a couple of years ago and we’re not thrilled with his new contract, but this is why he was brought back.

A short stint without Sorokin won’t be as bad with Varly in net, if he were to miss significant time, I may become a little worried. No need to stress yet.

Happy to see Martin on a PTO. I think he still has a spot on the roster in certain matchups (45 games is the perfect amount of playing time).

The team has more pressing issues than who plays wing on the 4th line. I’m more concerned with PK and top 6.
I definitely wanted him traded but at the end of the day keeping him was the right move.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
They’re not bringing Clutterbuck back who’s actually a great defensive forward.

The PK was a main responsibility of his, we have to stop using older memories. At least MM can dress 10 games as a policeman if needed, but that need is rapidly disappearing.

Move on from both.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Would bother me too if that is indeed the case. They’re not bringing Clutterbuck back who’s actually a great defensive forward. We’ll see how it shakes out
Which indicates to me Lou giving Martin a chance to make the team is so he can get his 1,000th game and no other good reason.

For all speculating it’s between the ears with Sorokin

Concussion?

Or is Lou just trying to do a clean up on the team hiding an injury that spanned back to last season?

Reactions: SI90

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
The PK was a main responsibility of his, we have to stop using older memories. At least MM can dress 10 games as a policeman if needed, but that need is rapidly disappearing.

Move on from both.
Totally agree. I do think there may be that thinking from organization about MM's physical presence and policing capabilities. Maybe call it the Rempe effect. CC can still skate but his shoulders are shot from the thousands of hits he has delivered and taken. His shot is sometimes effective and mostly hits the net. When I say net, that is mostly the protective netting. PK needs some work with new system and players.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Which indicates to me Lou giving Martin a chance to make the team is so he can get his 1,000th game and no other good reason.
If Martin was 12 games away from 1K fine, but this better not be the reason as to why he was signed to a PTO.

That's Wilpon-level Mets shit. Signing aged players for gimmicky shit.

Now on the other hand, maybe he shows he's in better shape. I don't completely hate him as the 14th forward as the muscle and familiarity with the room. But no chance he should dress in front of a youngin' who is playing well, I'll be extremely upset.

Reactions: MJF

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Move on from both.
It’s not older memories. And I’m not even advocating for keeping him. I’m just saying it’s interesting because he’s a better hockey player than Matt Martin all the metrics say that he’s still an elite defensive checking forward when he plays. Offense doesn’t exist anymore, obviously.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If Martin was 12 games away from 1K fine, but this better not be the reason as to why he was signed to a PTO.

Now on the other hand, maybe he shows he's in better shape. I don't completely hate him as the 14th forward as the muscle and familiarity with the room. But no chance he should dress in front of a youngin' who is playing well, I'll be extremely upset.
Exactly. Then it comes back to who is Martin taking a roster spot from? For the possible 12 games we’ll need a designated puncher?

It’s time to close the book on Matt Martin as an Islander.

Maclean getting waived is just silly talk ..LGI
Now Hudson Fasching getting waived….

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Exactly. Then it comes back to who is Martin taking a roster spot from? For the possible 12 games we’ll need a designated puncher?

Have to make room somewhere for the Patrik Elias signing. 😂

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Or if the young guys don’t push forward and earn a spot? The isles lack depth, he’s a known guy and it’s a long season.

Maybe he talked to Bailey and doesn’t want that to happen to him? His role is diminishing across hockey overall, so he probably didn’t have much out there or enough to upset his home life. It’s kinda a given he stays on and goes into management.

Roy is looking to win, not play charity of who’s the next best young player otherwise he would put Wallysuck out there for 20 mins. He doesn’t.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Bringing in Martin, even on a PTO, is just embarrassing. He is so washed up it’s a waste of a spot, even in camp. I’ve no doubt Lou will sign him to a deal. Now just wait for Clutterbuck. 😭
Its a warm body and i don't hate it at all. Cal isn't gonna come back either. Islanders basically will also have him just mentor the youth/Tsyplakov, so no biggie

I really dont care since this is a PTO.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe

This!!!! Still can't believe he found his way onto the top line last season. Appreciate his story, journey, and what he can bring to possibly the bottom 12 in short spurts. This team not only has a cap crunch but also a roster crunch as well. If he could skate and PK it would be a different story.

Reactions: MJF

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This!!!! Still can't believe he found his way onto the top line last season. Appreciate his story, journey, and what he can bring to possibly the bottom 12 in short spurts. This team not only has a cap crunch but also a roster crunch as well. If he could skate and PK it would be a different story.
If that guy played even slightly physical he'd have a spot full time. He's useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad