Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Good? Not really, no. But Poulin, St. Ivany, Ludvig, Pono, Gruden, Puus and Blomqvist should all be in the mix for depth/platoon/backup roles at the NHL level. Pulju too even if he's a year older than your cutoff. I don't see any reason some of those forwards couldn't skate on a fourth or even third line and put up about the same numbers as you'd pay some McGinn or Acciari for.

I used the UN definition for youth 😂 (15-24)

If they are safe bets for top 6 F/top 4 D then a GM will find a way to get them up (and we don’t have them) but 4th liners/bottom pair D get promoted to cover injuries & we’ve always been close to full cap so they go back down when the injured return.

We shouldn’t have any cap issues so that barrier to entry shouldn’t be an issue for some extended looks.

Sully could be talking shit too 😂 but this season in particular there’s no excuse not to try younger players at some stage.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Then put youth in the lineup...put youth in the lineup. Then. Put. Youth. In. The. Lineup. No, no, no, wait...what I'm saying is then - put youth in the lineup. The lineup...put youth it. No, put youth...in the lineup. Put youth in the lineup. Put it in. Put THE YOUTH INTO THE LINEUP. PUT THE YOUTH YOU HAVE IN THE LINEUP!

Stop advocating and catering the rotting corpses of guy like Carter, Hayes, Eller, Acciari, etc. PLAY THE YOUTH! YOU CAN GET YOUNGER BY PLAYING THE YOUTH. PUT THE YOUTH IN THE LINEUP.

But actually, put the youth in the lineup. No...no...you, you put the YOUTH in the LINEUP.

1014362.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Has any other sources reported about this supposed Crosby extension other than Rossi? Not saying it won't end up being true, but ... it's Rossi.

It has been established for a good while that the deal is going to be 3 years at $10 million a year. Friedman has been saying that since the regular season IIRC.

I'm a bit curious why it hasn't gotten done yet, because it seems like everyone knows what the value is going to be.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We can agree to disagree here. While the rebuild will undoubtedly take some time there's no reason to exacerbate the matter by dragging it out longer to appease Sid by getting him a winger.

For you to say you're not worried bout the teams future, that to me speaks volumes as to you being more concerned with an individual player than this here team.

And if that's the case, you should hope he gets traded to a legitimate contender.
I don't care because we are going to be rebuilding and shitty for a decade. Why am I supposed to care July 8th 2024?? that's like giving a crap 100 years from now about our future.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
It has been established for a good while that the deal is going to be 3 years at $10 million a year. Friedman has been saying that since the regular season IIRC.

I'm a bit curious why it hasn't gotten done yet, because it seems like everyone knows what the value is going to be.
Rossi said it wasn't done simply because Crosby and Dubas agreed to set things aside so Dubas could take care of the more immediate free agency issues and any requisite trades.

Crosby has also been traveling.

They probably talked, had a good idea of where everyone stood and were comfortable that they were close, and now it'll just be the fine details with an announcement relatively soon.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Do we have any good youth (24yo & under) ready for NHL?
d72d070a-7b57-44c7-8c9b-950e71f0cbd2_text.gif

Yinz misunderstood when Dubas said "younger".
Carter- 39, Hayes- 32
Jake- 29, Bunting- 28
Nieto- 31, Beauvillier- 27
Ruh- 33, Aho- 28
Smith- 33, TBD-
There ain't no rebuild. They just stockpiling picks. They're running back the almost the same team.
Less production from Bunting than Jake but with a little attitude and a different element.
Grzelcyk has played top 4 in Boston, replaces an untrustworthy POJ and possibly keeps Graves sheltered on the bottom pair.
Tried to replace Smith with Tank.
Tried to bring more scoring into the bottom 6. If Dubas successfully would've landed Tank, DOC-Hayes-Beauvillier most likely would've been the 3rd line to start the season. Making Lizotte-Eller-Acciari the 4th.
Good bit more scoring than last year's bottom 6 one would think.
But all in all, the same meh team. We're not going to win many more than we lose. Might even lose more than we win.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
View attachment 893429
Carter- 39, Hayes- 32
Jake- 29, Bunting- 28
Ruh- 33, Aho- 28
Smith- 33, TBD-

There ain't no rebuild. They just stockpiling picks. They're running back the almost the same team.
Less production from Bunting than Jake but with a little attitude and a different element.
Grzelcyk has played top 4 in Boston, replaces an untrustworthy POJ and possibly keeps Graves sheltered on the bottom pair.
Tried to bring more scoring into the bottom 6. If Dubas successfully would've landed Tank, DOC-Hayes-Beauvillier most likely would've been the 3rd line to start the season. Making Lizotte-Eller-Acciari the 4th.
But all in all, the same meh team. We're not going to win many more than we lose. Might even lose more than we win.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I refuse to believe Dubas is done until training camp. He can't be done, he has done NONE of the things he set out to do this off-season. We are not younger; we did not acquire a top-six winger; our PP is not improved; our goaltending is unchanged, et al.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Chris Johnston on Steve Dangle Podcast also said it’s going to be 3x$10 mil. That episode was just released today. Johnston is usually pretty good.

From Twitter: Chris Johnston on the Penguins now that the Crosby extension is close to being done (SDP): "They have to try and win, they have to make some bold trades" …lol….what? You mean Hayes doesn’t count lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From Twitter: Chris Johnston on the Penguins now that the Crosby extension is close to being done (SDP): "They have to try and win, they have to make some bold trades" …lol….what? You mean Hayes doesn’t count lol
As long as Sid is here...go for it.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As long as Sid is here...go for it.
Yep, but did you see any of that this offseason? lol...that's not happening

I refuse to believe Dubas is done until training camp. He can't be done, he has done NONE of the things he set out to do this off-season. We are not younger; we did not acquire a top-six winger; our PP is not improved; our goaltending is unchanged, et al.
We're nearly maxed out on contracts basically...he has to find a taker for some of our vet contracts or nothing is gonna happen and that looks unlikely at the moment...also players have to want to come here and this team is a tough sell lol

Reactions: Gurglesons

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

It's not August 7th yet

Reactions: Sideline

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't care because we are going to be rebuilding and shitty for a decade. Why am I supposed to care July 8th 2024?? that's like giving a crap 100 years from now about our future.
Shitty for a decade? That's a bit of a stretch, 3-4 years probably, but not a decade. lol

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Yeah outside of Calgary - who are we trading with at this point?

I'd take Gibson just to try something different - but would they take Jarry? idk. But Kadri or JH retained (unless they want Graves + coming back) is about all I can see working with the pieces we have - since we're unlikely to deal any draft picks.

I just don't think having the top 6 we currently have, mixed with a bottom 6 that still can't score - with Geno - Eller - Hayes as your 2, 3, 4 Cs.... Won't win any track meets, won't win any physical battles....won't.....win(?) Even with a top 6 forward all we're doing is going back to where we were with Guentzel (not good enough) and upgrading on Smith (Bunting). But hell, at this point I'd call it an okay off season if you offload Eller, brought in top 6 who can preferably shift to C at times, and off loaded Jarry lol. Tall order.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Shitty for a decade? That's a bit of a stretch, 3-4 years probably, but not a decade. lol
3-4 years AFTER we start rebuilding and after a couple top ten picks

Which we're still screwing around and won't be doing for 3-4 years

So better part of a decade from today

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Rossi said it wasn't done simply because Crosby and Dubas agreed to set things aside so Dubas could take care of the more immediate free agency issues and any requisite trades.

Crosby has also been traveling.

They probably talked, had a good idea of where everyone stood and were comfortable that they were close, and now it'll just be the fine details with an announcement relatively soon.

Dubas seems like the type of idiot that can’t do two things at once. Might actually believe Rossi here.

Reactions: Pens x

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
No it might take some time. 5 years is probably best case unless we get really lucky again and get some more generational talent.

If you have a great draft you’ll come out with two NHL players. Some might be ready in a season but most will take 3-4 years to develop. That math doesn’t add up.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Looking at our roster, what we have even in the pipeline and all, I just don't see him doing anything else before the season starts unfortunately.

I really think the only thing that might save us, is if a team's #1 goalie gets injured this summer or in camp and they have to make a move and Jarry becomes attractive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No it might take some time. 5 years is probably best case unless we get really lucky again and get some more generational talent.

If you have a great draft you’ll come out with two NHL players. Some might be ready in a season but most will take 3-4 years to develop. That math doesn’t add up.
Gavin McKenna, 2025! The only thing that can save us in the near future!!

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only other move I might see the Penguins making this off-season is taking on another bad deal for futures, but with $3.6 million in cap space, they don't have a ton of space to do that. It's actually a bit weird they're sitting with this much cap space, I don't remember the last time they had more than like $2 million in cap space going into a year.

My guess is that they're going to start next year with:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari
Poulin-Puljujarvi

Pettersson-Karlsson
Grzelcyk-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Aho

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

I'd like to see another LW acquired to push O'Connor to L3 and Beauvillier to L4, but that's about all I'd be shooting for.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
View attachment 893429
Carter- 39, Hayes- 32
Jake- 29, Bunting- 28
Ruh- 33, Aho- 28
Smith- 33, TBD- Blake f***ing Lizotte -26
You forgot our huge acquisition!!

• Love
Reactions: Ulf5

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The only other move I might see the Penguins making this off-season is taking on another bad deal for futures, but with $3.6 million in cap space, they don't have a ton of space to do that. It's actually a bit weird they're sitting with this much cap space, I don't remember the last time they had more than like $2 million in cap space going into a year.

My guess is that they're going to start next year with:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari
Poulin-Puljujarvi

Pettersson-Karlsson
Grzelcyk-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Aho

Jarry-Nedjelkovic

I'd like to see another LW acquired to push O'Connor to L3 and Beauvillier to L4, but that's about all I'd be shooting for.

I think one of Eller / Acciari is hopefully going out tbh.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think one of Eller / Acciari is hopefully going out tbh.

I'm hoping Acciari in the off-season and Eller at the deadline.

I actually like the look of a Lizotte-Hayes-Beauvillier 4th line to start the year, because both Lizotte and Beauvillier are strong forecheckers (especially Lizotte) and providing Hayes with speed on his wing should help him a lot. Once Eller gets moved closer to the deadline, bump Lizotte up to the 3C role and Ponomarev to the 4LW role.

As an aside, that's actually why I'm a bit concerned about how Lizotte does with the Penguins. Sullivan's system doesn't have centers forechecking and Lizotte's strongest attributes are his speed and willingness with forechecking. It's the same issue Acciari had while playing center last year, I don't think he can effectively use his talents while playing center in Sullivan's system.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad