Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Interviews of the three newer Sens, Amadio, Perron, and Jensen all talk about the fear they have in Travis's training camp. Looks like Green has a reputation already for a grueling camp. Oh boy. The core of our young guys are going to feel what a real NHL training camp is like for the first time.
How is it a real training camp (compared to the previous ones) when even vets are saying it’s not the norm?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Interviews of the three newer Sens, Amadio, Perron, and Jensen all talk about the fear they have in Travis's training camp. Looks like Green has a reputation already for a grueling camp. Oh boy. The core of our young guys are going to feel what a real NHL training camp is like for the first time.
Well at least management will be able to identify the weak minded players when they start whining about camp being too tough.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
It's a technique used at one of the best steakhouses in the country, where I worked for years. There's also prep to do ahead of building the sear but I wanted to focus on the basics of the technique.
Which one? Was in the industry for over a decade aswell, might know the chef

Reactions: Loach

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Unless you’re Bangladeshi I don’t think you were washing dishes there 😂
I definitely wasn’t, just wanted to part of the convo for a second from the dish pit! Hahaha…. The good old days. I did work at The Fish Market restaurant for a summer back in the day when I was home from Uni….

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm aware of the reverse sear. I made a post about it like 5 posts ago. BSP is talking about searing it twice.
With a small amount of google-fu I now see it's not that new, just a method I haven't encountered much of I guess. I don't really see what it accomplishes that a reverse sear doesn't, other than a slightly thicker crust maybe.

My wife tells me that she has heard that chefs add butter to their steaks to soften the outside seared part before serving.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I tried a double sear on 2” rib cap off. Missed by a fair bit, although not a drop of lost juices. I need to go down to 1 minute per side, 15 minutes rest and 1 minute per side. Grill was at 800 degrees.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I tried a double sear on 2” rib cap off. Missed by a fair bit, although not a drop of lost juices. I need to go down to 1 minute per side, 15 minutes rest and 1 minute per side. Grill was at 800 degrees.
The trickiest part is the first sear. Once you dial that in, you're golden. Also, I have a personal preference for salting the steak really well (no pepper) and letting it sit in the fridge. Take it out about 30-40 minutes (depending on the thickness and cut, might be more or less) before you start searing. No pepper on the steak before the sear. The crust builds beautifully on the first sear because the salt extracts a lot of the excess moisture from the surface and helps the browning process.

Once you perfect the process, that holy grail of delicious crust and perfect juiciness is *chef's kiss*

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You do need to explain. I'm really not familiar with what he did or didn't do in Vancouver. I don't follow west coast teams as much as I used to since having a daughter.

Why was he so bad, specifically?
He’s got nothing. Green had a bad record with a terrible roster. Is Green the right coach, nobody knows, but pretending his stint in Vancouver is a harbinger of things to come is stupid.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't feel like I need to explain it in detail when you can look at his stint in Vancouver and that should explain it all.

The Sens need a coach that will hold players accountable, someone with experience instead they went bargain shopping again instead of taking time and doing a thorough process.

They need someone like Joel Quenville, f*** I'd even take Ted Nolan.

Instead they hire Travis Green who's not going to improve the team, they will end up sticking with him for longer than they should and it will hamper the development of the prospects oh wait we have no prospects.
Lots of coaches who are now deemed to be good and successful had bad win-loss records in their early careers, even some that have coached Stanley Cup teams. Vancouver was not a good team and their GM was possibly the worst in the league. Sometimes you need to dig a little deeper to understand why things happened.

I don’t mind if people are skeptical, but it's never a bad idea to do a little research and then formulate an opinion. There’s a reason they say “ready, aim, fire” in that precise sequence.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He’s got nothing. Green had a bad record with a terrible roster. Is Green the right coach, nobody knows, but pretending his stint in Vancouver is a harbinger of things to come is stupid.
He indeed had nothing, I had forgotten about that tbh.

As you say, there were pretty extenuating circumstances in Vancouver. We'll see how he is here.

Reactions: bert

sfulefty

May 3, 2009
I don't feel like I need to explain it in detail when you can look at his stint in Vancouver and that should explain it all.

The Sens need a coach that will hold players accountable, someone with experience instead they went bargain shopping again instead of taking time and doing a thorough process.

Instead they hire Travis Green who's not going to improve the team, they will end up sticking with him for longer than they should and it will hamper the development of the prospects oh wait we have no prospects.

"The Sens need a coach that will hold players accountable,"
(Huh? Have you ever watched a Travis Green team? I mean, really watched dozens of games, or just read forums)

"I don't feel like I need to explain it in detail when you can look at his stint in Vancouver and that should explain it all." (Huh? Huh? Sometimes you need a bigger picture of what's going inside the organization. You do realize he got them to the playoffs with a team that featured Tanner Pearson, Jake Virtanen, Nikolay Goldobin, Adam Gaudette, Josh Leivo, Brandon Sutter, Antoine Roussel, Loui Ericksson, Jay Beagle, Oscar Fantenberg, Tim Schaller, etc..

And then you say "will hamper the development of prospects" yet likely have no clue that he got career-highs from the following players, while helping some of the young guys (namely Hughes, Pettersson, and to some degree Bo Horvat, to develop). But career-highs for the following:

- 18 goals and 36 points from Jake Virtanen
- 33 points from Adam Gaudette (never had more than 12 points anywhere else in his career)
- 45 points from Tanner Pearson – keep in mind he had 1 point in 17 games with LA the year before, before being traded to Pittsburgh, where he had 14 points.
- 27 points in 63 games from Nicolay Goldobin
- 18 goals and 35 points from Sven Baertschi
- Derrick Pouliot with 22 points in Vancouver, despite no more than 7 points anywhere else.
- Josh Leivo career-high 19 points

Some on the West Coast applaud him for giving credibility to a franchise during turbulent ownership times, caught in between Trevor Linden (build for the future) and Jim Benning (win now)

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

So you did 0 research. Well done. Thanks for your contribution.

So Nick Jensen I hope his skating is still there after last year. Seems like there are reports it may have take a step back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad