Player Discussion: Ehlers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
B.T. (August 28, 2024)

Ehlers defies two herniated discs and is ready for the Olympic hunt

The summer has been good for the ice hockey player Nikolaj Ehlers, who now finally feels on top after being plagued by major neck problems.

The forward, who will play Olympic qualification with the Danish national team in the coming days, played a good 87 NHL games for the Winnipeg Jets last season, but it was sometimes in great pain.

"It has definitely progressed. I have felt much better and feel ready to take the games as they come. Everything around the neck is trained and can help support" says Nikolaj Ehlers.

The problems arose just before the start of the season last fall and turned out to stem from two herniated discs that had lodged in the neck.

It can be a serious matter, but Ehlers hopes that with training and treatment he can keep the pain at bay in the future.

"It's a bit of shit, but there's not much you can do about it. The worst case scenario with such an injury is surgery. However, I am not there at all."

"It certainly hasn't been fun. I had to cancel the WC because my head was going crazy. It is extremely uncomfortable to run around with such an injury"
says Nikolaj Ehlers.

He will, as always, be an important offensive figure on the strongly occupied Danish national team, which in Aalborg will have to fight with Great Britain, Japan and Norway for access to the Winter Olympics in 2026.

Denmark warmed up on Sunday and Monday with two test matches against Latvia. It turned into a win and a loss, and Ehlers recorded three assists while trying to get the rhythm of the game into his body.

"It is a bit strange to play important matches already in August, but the whole summer training has been about us peaking a bit earlier than we usually do."

"Most of the players have had some training matches with their club team, but we are a few who haven't. That's why it was good to get the two games in Latvia. The first game was a bit slow, but it was better in the secon"
says Nikolaj Ehlers.

Denmark opens the Olympic qualification on Thursday evening against Great Britain.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
in terms of playoffs, singling out Ehlers is bullshit. It is a team game and the jets are simply not built for the playoffs, and the jets have to date not done much to address the different demands of playoffs and officiating. But i believe they are trying to balance lines and beef up defence. They know what the problems are.
So is Ehlers a line driver or not? You can't have it both ways. If he fails at his job when it matter then who cares?

Connor, Scheifele and Vilardi showed. Where was the second line? Toffoli was the only one who showed up and he got demoted.

Reactions: Jets 31

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Looks very dangerous on every shift vs Norway in the qualifier on Sunday.

Edit: 4-1 Denmark and I believe Ehlers has 2 apples.
Ehlers was great, set up plenty of chances today. It was my first time to see Ehlers play for Denmark today, playing in his hometown here in Aalborg. Big day for him, easy to see the elation after. Its big for Denmark to qualify to the olympics 2026

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I won't single out Ehlers because i believe he has been misused most of his career and i believe that our new coach is aware of that. I think he will be signed.
4 goals and 14 points in 37 games is not remotely good enough for a top 6 player. Scheifele has 21 goals and 38 points in 42 games, Connor has 15 goals and 32 points in 45 games.I consider Ehlers our 3rd best forward and that's a massive difference in production from Scheifele and Connor.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
4 goals and 14 points in 37 games is not remotely good enough for a top 6 player. Scheifele has 21 goals and 38 points in 42 games, Connor has 15 goals and 32 points in 45 games.I consider Ehlers our 3rd best forward and that's a massive difference in production from Scheifele and Connor.
Much of it accounted for by injuries and difficulties building a good second line. Peeps tend to underestimate the effect of injuries. There was a time when Ehlers ran a close second to Connor. I don't dismiss that.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Much of it accounted for by injuries and difficulties building a good second line. Peeps tend to underestimate the effect of injuries. There was a time when Ehlers ran a close second to Connor. I don't dismiss that.
So Ehlers was hurt for all 37 playoff games he has played ? I realize he has been mostly 2nd line and 2nd PP but i still think we need more from him come playoffs. I like Ehlers don't get me wrong but if we re-sign him its probably in the 7 to 8 million a year range and i think we need more from him in the playoffs.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
So Ehlers was hurt for all 37 playoff games he has played ? I realize he has been mostly 2nd line and 2nd PP but i still think we need more from him come playoffs. I like Ehlers don't get me wrong but if we re-sign him its probably in the 7 to 8 million a year range and i think we need more from him in the playoffs.
Yes I agree his 37 playoff game data is disappointing, but for many of those games he was hurt, as are many players at that time of the year. I saw it in both his speed and the accuracy of his shot. The smaller frame players who depend on speed and skill feel it the most i believe. .....Ehlers is a special player and an entertainer, i hope he remains with a decent salary and a good attitude, unlike Scheifele who shut it down significantly with the contract before the last one.

Yes I agree his 37 playoff game data is disappointing, but for many of those games he was hurt, as are many players at that time of the year. I saw it in both his speed and the accuracy of his shot. The smaller frame players who depend on speed and skill feel it the most i believe. .....Ehlers is a special player and an entertainer, i hope he remains with a decent salary and a good attitude, unlike Scheifele who shut it down significantly with the contract before the last one.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We need more from EVERYONE, including St. Hellebucyk
KFC too and Scheifele ( he needs avoid psycho mode when he’s needed )
It’s a team game and this team has sucked big time in the playoffs

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I dont't think Chevy is going to give what Ehlers is going to want.
What would he get on the open market?
7 x 8m?
I wouldn't give him that.
I'd give him 5 x 8m but he isn't going to sign a 5 year deal.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I dont't think Chevy is going to give what Ehlers is going to want.
What would he get on the open market?
7 x 8m?
I wouldn't give him that.
I'd give him 5 x 8m but he isn't going to sign a 5 year deal.
If those injuries are public knowledge and other GMs are aware that Ehlers has potential season ending injuries I can see why Chevy had no leverage and all the rumours about Ehlers were put to rest at the draft table.

Letting him play for his home country to qualify for the Olympics was a good gesture, and I think that's some chips the organization put on the table to keep a player loyal to it. We'll see how it goes. Ehlers becoming the new Enstrom to mentor the young Scandanivian/Finnish players coming up the ranks is something I could see Chevy/Chipman wanting for the team. Ehlers injuries are concerning though, at some point you expect him to get shutdown. If it's this one that's the worst case scenario for Chevy.

I still believe the Jets are only going to keep one of Connor and Ehlers long term, and this season will decide which. And determine his value.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We need more from EVERYONE, including St. Hellebucyk
KFC too and Scheifele ( he needs avoid psycho mode when he’s needed )
It’s a team game and this team has sucked big time in the playoffs
As pointed out, Schief and Connor are both around PPG in the playoffs over their career. If Ehlers was up there, we wouldn't be having this convo at all

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I understand the debate regarding Ehlers' playoff productivity but his performance during the regular season has been very, very good. It's hard to make the NHL playoffs so players that contribute substantially to getting into the playoffs are still very valuable. Missing the playoffs makes every player useless in the post-season. Without having a dynamic 2C on the horizon, the Jets will need to rely on depth and talent on the wings. I think they'd miss Ehlers substantially.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Sadly, I have to fully agree. It’s just not there points-wise. Sometimes I wonder what things would be like if only his style of playing had a twin across the ice.
Clone him?

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As pointed out, Schief and Connor are both around PPG in the playoffs over their career. If Ehlers was up there, we wouldn't be having this convo at all
Exactly, Scheifele and Connor take alot of beats on here, some of it is earned obviously but sometimes it seems that Ehlers can do no wrong on here and i am just pointing out that we need way more from Ehlers in the playoffs. If Connor or Scheifele only had 4 goals and 14 points in 37 games in the playoffs we all would be unhappy big time. Paul Stastny had 7 goals and 17 points in 23 playoff games with the Jets. Lowry has 11 goals and 20 points in 49 games .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I still believe the Jets are only going to keep one of Connor and Ehlers long term, and this season will decide which. And determine his value.
I really hope one season doesn't decide that.

For all of the Connor vs. Ehlers talk there is really no comparison between the two.

Connor is more durable, scores more, racks up more points, and is more effective in the playoffs.

Outside a weird outlier in the back half of the season before last, Connor is a machine. He's not without his flaws, and we know what they are, but for a guy who is paid to produce he rarely disappoints. If you're investing in a player, do you select the model of consistency that plays practically every game every year, or the guy who has really good narrow stats but is oft injured, goes into long slumps, and disappears in the playoffs?

If you're picking Ehlers, you're showing your bias (which is fine).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

For all of the Connor vs. Ehlers talk there is really no comparison between the two.

Connor is more durable, scores more, racks up more points, and is more effective in the playoffs.

Outside a weird outlier in the back half of the season before last, Connor is a machine. He's not without his flaws, and we know what they are, but for a guy who is paid to produce he rarely disappoints. If you're investing in a player, do you select the model of consistency that plays practically every game every year, or the guy who has really good narrow stats but is oft injured, goes into long slumps, and disappears in the playoffs?

I think it's pretty obvious which way the org would lean. They have prioritized KC almost from the beginning. They will do whatever they can to keep him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Either way you are showing a bias. A bias for the more consistent car with it’s obvious flaws
Or the potentially better car if only it was more consistent and stayed on the road more.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Say what you want about Brad Marchand but there is no disputing he knows what it takes to win:

“Any time you can get an advantage on a team it’s going to help your team win. That’s part of the benefit of having a physical group. That’s why you see teams go the distance with a big D corps, physical teams and it’s why you rarely see teams that are small and skilled go far because they get hurt.”

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He's also routinely been outscored by his linemates in the playoffs so the second line excuse holds little sway for me.

In 2018 his linemates Laine and Stastny had 12 and 16 points respectively (he had 7 assists and zero goals).

In 2019 Laine had 4 points and Little 3 vs. Ehlers goose egg.

2020 was the first time he outscored his linemates but still only put up 2 goals total.

2021 and 2024 he tied his linemates in points while 2023 is unfair to judge as he only got in one game after injuries.

Everyone says he needs to be on line 2 to drive it but that hasn't at all happened on the postseason. He's at best equaled his linemates performance, but has mostly been outperformed by them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad