Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I completely agree. I don't understand why both Vellucci and Ty Hennes are still here. OK, I guess you can say the PK was fine under Vellucci, but what does Hennes do? He's a former skating and skills instructor.

Really don't understand the approach to the coaching staff.

I already forgot Hennes was elevated from his prior position. He's on Team USA's staff, now. So like Sullivan he won't be going anywhere.

As much as you perhaps don't want to hear it the approach to the coaching staff APPEARS to be "Keep Mike Sullivan happy, comfortable and make sure he doesn't feel threatened or challenged."

That's just where we are, I think. They... an NHL hockey club... have chosen a head coach above all else. Truly a masterstroke of a plan.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Im glad someone else see this besides me. Its why Geno and Letang stayed and why Sid will re-sign. If they go some place else they have to show results. Here in Pittsburgh they can just coast and everyone will love them. No pressure to win, no pressure to make the playoffs. Just cash that check.

lol if Geno stayed because he thought he was so well loved he could do whatever in the eyes of the fans (and seemingly the coach and GM) then his grasp of the language truly is tenuous at best.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Maybe Bunting being here a full preseason helps the PP and Quinn might bring something different but last season wasn’t strictly a PP coaching issue. Our players shot at 9.66% (Tampa #1 w/18.56%)

4th in all scoring chances for
5th in high danger chances for
31st in shooting percentage
30th in Powerplay conversions

Arizona scored 13 more PP goals with 90 less HDCF. 🤷‍♂️

Picture of areas for context
IMG_0141.jpeg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe Bunting being here a full preseason helps the PP and Quinn might bring something different but last season wasn’t strictly a PP coaching issue. Our players shot at 9.66% (Tampa #1 w/18.56%)

4th in all scoring chances for
5th in high danger chances for
31st in shooting percentage
30th in Powerplay conversions

Arizona scored 13 more PP goals with 90 less HDCF. 🤷‍♂️

Picture of areas for context
View attachment 893409
The PP tanked and Dubas did NOTHING to fix it along the way. There is just 0 logic. Atleast try and get a new PP coach, SOMETHING!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The PP tanked and Dubas did NOTHING to fix it along the way. There is just 0 logic. Atleast try and get a new PP coach, SOMETHING!
Do you understand the concept of tanking? We want complete incompetence on this coaching staff. At least for the next couple of seasons. We need to draft well and accrue assets in that time.

Someone good that can take pressure off Sid and they can get points so he can climb the ladder more.
How does that help the long term viability of the team?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Do you understand the concept of tanking? We want complete incompetence on this coaching staff. At least for the next couple of seasons. We need to draft well and accrue assets in that time.
But they were not tanking, they were trying to compete to make the playoffs. They did trade for Karlsson. Like I said, there was ZERO logic. NONE!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Shifting gears....

Jason Mackey of the Post Gazette, who covered the Pens for a while, sat down for a one-on-one interview with Sullivan over the weekend.

Mackey included some of his own observations and thoughts in the column, including his thoughts about Sullivan. You can read those on your own.

I don't think there is anything too revelatory, and actions will speak much louder than words, but here are a few notable comments from everyone's favorite coach.
Part of our conversation revolved around what it will take for the Penguins — with the oldest average age in the NHL on opening night last season at 30.6 years — to play a faster game. Sullivan believes they can, but it’s more than the speed at which their skates move.

“I’ve always been a believer that, when you have a combination of veteran guys with a certain amount of youth, it’s a great dynamic that takes place in the dressing room,” Sullivan said. “If we can get a little bit younger and add some youth to our lineup, usually with that comes an element of physical foot speed. But there are different types of speed.”

Then put youth in the lineup...put youth in the lineup. Then. Put. Youth. In. The. Lineup. No, no, no, wait...what I'm saying is then - put youth in the lineup. The lineup...put youth it. No, put youth...in the lineup. Put youth in the lineup. Put it in. Put THE YOUTH INTO THE LINEUP. PUT THE YOUTH YOU HAVE IN THE LINEUP!

Stop advocating and catering the rotting corpses of guy like Carter, Hayes, Eller, Acciari, etc. PLAY THE YOUTH! YOU CAN GET YOUNGER BY PLAYING THE YOUTH. PUT THE YOUTH IN THE LINEUP.

But actually, put the youth in the lineup. No...no...you, you put the YOUTH in the LINEUP.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But they were not tanking, they were trying to compete to make the playoffs. They did trade for Karlsson. Like I said, there was ZERO logic. NONE!
You're correct, we did trade for EK.

HOWEVER, once KD saw just how inept we were he realized that the faith he put into the core was unfounded. So, he wisely changed course, as any good GM would. He afforded the players a chance, they soiled the bed.

His moves since have made perfect sense. You might not like moves, but they are very much in keeping with what he's trying to achieve. Which is: Getting younger and accruing picks and prospects.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Then put youth in the lineup...put youth in the lineup. Then. Put. Youth. In. The. Lineup. No, no, no, wait...what I'm saying is then - put youth in the lineup. The lineup...put youth it. No, put youth...in the lineup. Put youth in the lineup. Put it in. Put THE YOUTH INTO THE LINEUP. PUT THE YOUTH YOU HAVE IN THE LINEUP!

Stop advocating and catering the rotting corpses of guy like Carter, Hayes, Eller, Acciari, etc. PLAY THE YOUTH! YOU CAN GET YOUNGER BY PLAYING THE YOUTH. PUT THE YOUTH IN THE LINEUP.

But actually, put the youth in the lineup. No...no...you, you put the YOUTH in the LINEUP.

The Pittsburgh Penguins: "Instructions unclear. Signed 3 more veteran forwards."

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Sid said he wanted to move, they’d do it. I think it would probably be a relief. I also wonder if that’s one of the things keeping this marriage going. The team won’t say “we want to move him” and Sid will never say “I want to leave” because no one wants to be the bad guy
I don't think Sid views the situation with the teams as being as dire as we think it is.

Sid probably looks at the team and sees a team that only barely missed the playoffs the past two seasons. He probably thinks that if they play a little better they can get in, and then a competitor like Sid is always going to believe he can win a cup once he makes it to the dance.

I think it would take the Pens being truly awful for him to even think about playing somewhere else. As it is he probably harbors some hope that he can turn this around.

Or maybe Dubas has sold him on whatever "vision" he has. I also think Sid values being a one team guy like Yzerman/Mario, his two idols, were.

Either way I don't think Sid is going anywhere.

Reactions: IcedCapp

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Do we have any good youth (24yo & under) ready for NHL?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How does that help the long term viability of the team?
We had our run, i'm not worried about the teams future. It's going to be a LONG rebuild, but we can at least get Sid someone good to climb the points ladder while we suck. If we take Sid along for the ride that feels more like self sabbotage vibes against Crosby. He deserves better then that.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It's trying to teach very, very old dogs new tricks. Part of the issues are their core are set in their ways.

True but we do need a decent right handed shot though. Bunting should help the front of the net.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
True but we do need a decent right handed shot though. Bunting should help the front of the net.
That and Geno should not be at the point, like, ever...

The Pens have terrible recovery acumen with turnovers.

Edit: I should just post the #1 PP unit.

Bunting, Crosby, Rust
Karlsson, Malkin<--------Bad.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Good? Not really, no. But Poulin, St. Ivany, Ludvig, Pono, Gruden, Puus and Blomqvist should all be in the mix for depth/platoon/backup roles at the NHL level. Pulju too even if he's a year older than your cutoff. I don't see any reason some of those forwards couldn't skate on a fourth or even third line and put up about the same numbers as you'd pay some McGinn or Acciari for.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
He’s gonna be in the A for a good chunk of the year, but I’m super high on Yager.

He’s crushed it as well as won everywhere he’s gone, so hopefully he’s able to keep it up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team's made it clear they have no qualms with playing terrible players. So, instead of locking into multi-year, multi-million dollar AAV deals with terrible vets, just play the terrible young guys in the organization. The best of which are barely more than "I guess this guy's an NHLer, maybe" but they're cheap and may have upside. /shrug

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We had our run, i'm not worried about the teams future. It's going to be a LONG rebuild, but we can at least get Sid someone good to climb the points ladder while we suck. If we take Sid along for the ride that feels more like self sabbotage vibes against Crosby. He deserves better then that.
We can agree to disagree here. While the rebuild will undoubtedly take some time there's no reason to exacerbate the matter by dragging it out longer to appease Sid by getting him a winger.

For you to say you're not worried bout the teams future, that to me speaks volumes as to you being more concerned with an individual player than this here team.

And if that's the case, you should hope he gets traded to a legitimate contender.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pono is ready I believe, he made CAR last year and they were much deeper. But he got injured and that derailed things a bit.

Koivunen just turned 21, I'd expect him to spend most of the season in WB but might be called up after 55-65 games. Should make the team in '25 though if he progresses.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad