Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
That 2027 2nd still makes me laugh. Dubas is pretty much outlining 2-3 years of purgatory until a proper rebuild. Watch Sid and Geno hit some milestones for a few years and that’s about it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Probably because some GMs are friends/acquaintances and talk with each other more often. We just had the Hayes trade with them too.

I love this trade. Dubas is exploiting the Blues urgency to get quality, while our team is better off with quality picks at a later point in time, so they can be developed when the team is serious again.

Dubas and Armstrong have traded together something like 13 times since Dubas was made GM.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t really think it’s a plan as much as it’s just getting the highest return you can. Some GMs care little about picks so far out they might not even be the GM when it comes time, Dubas knows he’ll be around. Generally picks further out have lower trade value. That is we probably weren’t ever going to get a ‘25 2nd for Smith. Maybe a ‘25 3rd.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Getting extra picks off of another team is good. Maybe Dubas can turn around and get paid by Edmonton for a cap dump 😂

The players they'd be trying to dump are probably Kulak, Kane or Ceci. I'd take Kulak, but we don't need another LHD and big no on Kane or Ceci.

I don’t really think it’s a plan as much as it’s just getting the highest return you can. Some GMs care little about picks so far out they might not even be the GM when it comes time, Dubas knows he’ll be around. Generally picks further out have lower trade value. That is we probably weren’t ever going to get a ‘25 2nd for Smith. Maybe a ‘25 3rd.

Why does it matter when the picks are?

The assumption is that no player outside of the 1st round is going to be playing within the Sid era unless we really hit a home run. Bring in as many picks as possible and then you have the assets to trade if you are competitive without totally robbing the farm.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The players they'd be trying to dump are probably Kulak, Kane or Ceci. I'd take Kulak, but we don't need another LHD and big no on Kane or Ceci.

Why does it matter when the picks are?

The assumption is that no player outside of the 1st round is going to be playing within the Sid era unless we really hit a home run. Bring in as many picks as possible and then you have the assets to trade if you are competitive without totally robbing the farm.
I think it would only matter if our prospect pool was absolutely bereft of talent, which thanks to Dubas it no longer is. I mean it's not great but we have some prospects on the assembly line at least. So with that I'd be willing to take picks further out if it means they are higher or there's more of them.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Getting extra picks off of another team is good. Maybe Dubas can turn around and get paid by Edmonton for a cap dump 😂
We didn’t get an extra pick…all we did is move St Louis’ 2nd from next year to 2026 and in exchange for that we got to move up from a 5th round pick we gave them to a 3rd…we just increased the round we’re picking in…not really a great deal

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Sideline

May 23, 2004
We didn’t get an extra pick…all we did is move St Louis’ 2nd from next year to 2026 and in exchange for that we got to move up from a 5th round pick we gave them to a 3rd…we just increased the round we’re picking in…not really a great deal
Ok, fine it's not an extra pick. But getting a 3rd for a 5th is still a good day.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Agree but it still seems like we could’ve gotten more out of St Louis for this, as Emp said..
no reason to burn bridges. you might need them at a later date. you will only make enemies if they think you are taking advantage of them. sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I think like 70% of NHLers, not even counting impact, are drafted in rounds 1-3. Going up from a 5th is meaningful.

Reactions: Sideline

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wouldn't mind getting paid a 2nd or 3rd to take on Ceci or Kulaks contracts. As it stands right now, the Oilers have no cap space. They won't match Brobergs contract but Holloway is a possibility

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This isn’t good for ticket sales. It’s not good for corporate sponsorships. That lack of buzz around the Penguins right now is deafening, but it grows a little louder every day that passes without Crosby signing a new deal. He’s the Penguins’ heartbeat. He keeps the organization financially stable. He keeps coach Mike Sullivan’s product respectable, even if it’s not the team it once was. Hockey fans in Pittsburgh still get excited when summer nights turn a little chilly because they know hockey is right around the corner. Even if their favorite team is no longer a contender, they still get to watch Crosby play every night. And there’s something great about that.

Will he sign between now and the middle of September, when training camp begins? I have to assume so.

However, if Crosby arrives in Cranberry in September without a new contract, the Penguins will receive all kinds of buzz.
I assume this is you paraphrasing Yohe?

I don't agree that the lack of corp sponsors and ticket sales have anything to do with Sid's new deal because those potential buyers and sponsors know he will be on the team for the upcoming season. And it's August - what buzz SHOULD there be about the Penguins? This is the deadest time of the year for hockey in general. Lack of "buzz" means absolutely nothing at the moment.

Just seems like he's reaching quite a bit. Someone reported and wrote an article that there's discussions back and forth about the implications of a 35+ contract. How you structure a deal certainly has more impact being 35+ than a non 35+.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn't mind getting paid a 2nd or 3rd to take on Ceci or Kulaks contracts. As it stands right now, the Oilers have no cap space. They won't match Brobergs contract but Holloway is a possibility
Sounds like Kane might be on the block? He needs surgery and will start on LTIR most likely. You MIGHT be able to get a team to take him if the goal is to make room to sign either or both. I think Broberg is gone. No way do you matcha $4.5mil deal for him. Holloway is more interesting.

Would be a wild turn of events if Holloway is sent to StL and then StL and Dubas turn back around do a trade for him. A Holloway in the system is exactly what we need. I would gladly give them the 2nd back for him in hopes that he becomes a future 2C. Worst case 3C.

Just because it's summer and I'm bored:
DOC-Sid-Rust
Beauvillier-Holloway-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Yager
Lizotte-Hayes-Poulin

would be an interesting lineup.

Side note: Read that interesting in Laine is incredibly soft which isn't really a surprise. If you could get the CBJ to retain 50% and reduce that to $4.35, it would be interesting. I might be willing to do something like Eller/Acciari+Broz+3rd for Laine @50%. Still lots of interesting possibilities out there to adjust the roster before training camp starts.

Reactions: Dominance

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
St. Louis feeling charitable after the “oh wow, Pittsburgh is really going to take Hayes” deal.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Seems like a smart move to me.

What? it's great value, not sure how you can see it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad