Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I don't think anyone is really worried.

It's not like if Sid leaves we're losing him in his prime. The ride is over regardless. It's just more fun if 87 is still on the ice. Slightly.

Anyone actually giving a shit and stressing over Crosby right now is insane

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
One thing that never made any sense to me was Sullivan's decision to play Acciari as the fourth-line center, with Jeff Carter at right wing. That put two players out of position, in my opinion. Carter had lost a step, for sure. But his hockey sense and creativity is leaps and bounds better than Acciari, even today with Acciari training for the upcoming season and Carter sitting on his coach eating Cheetos.

And it made even less sense when Carter moved back to center as soon as Acciari went down to injury. So if Carter is a center without Acciari, why is he a right wing with Acciari? Every time I watched Acciari play for whatever team he was on, he always looked more interesting, more engaged, more physical and more involved as a winger. So, when we talk about "Sullivan-ing" a player, this is what we mean.

I don't know if Acciari would be any better on the wing under Sullivan. After all, Brock McGinn too looked like someone who could help us...until he was acquired and didn't.

I suppose we will find out in a few months.
Your mere mortal brain cannot comprehend what mega smart brain Mike Sullivan thinks, peasant.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Silly-van has his faults indeed, but what annoys me is that most reporters who should know hockey inside and out aren’t smart enough to ask the same questions that idiots like myself ask on here.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Silly-van has his faults indeed, but what annoys me is that most reporters who should know hockey inside and out aren’t smart enough to ask the same questions that idiots like myself ask on here.
That's the problem. The Pens media don't know hockey. They're "journalists" first and foremost, who happened to land gigs covering hockey. They're not smart hockey people who just so happen to cover the sport.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's the problem. The Pens media don't know hockey. They're "journalists" first and foremost, who happened to land gigs covering hockey. They're not smart hockey people who just so happen to cover the sport.

It’s kinda of sad a blonde girl who loves Taylor Swift and an HFPens poster provide the best coverage. No offense to Hasse and Jesse. But we are like the best franchise over the last 30 years.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's not about being smart, it's what questions they're allowed to ask in order to keep their current press coverage. Just look at Tom Cruise for example, no one asks questions about his cult background and it's not because they can't think of questions.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We get a pick upgrade and the Oilers get boned.

76ab009a-076b-4e78-983a-14a4fab64135_text.gif

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
One thing that never made any sense to me was Sullivan's decision to play Acciari as the fourth-line center, with Jeff Carter at right wing. That put two players out of position, in my opinion. Carter had lost a step, for sure. But his hockey sense and creativity is leaps and bounds better than Acciari, even today with Acciari training for the upcoming season and Carter sitting on his coach eating Cheetos.

And it made even less sense when Carter moved back to center as soon as Acciari went down to injury. So if Carter is a center without Acciari, why is he a right wing with Acciari? Every time I watched Acciari play for whatever team he was on, he always looked more interesting, more engaged, more physical and more involved as a winger. So, when we talk about "Sullivan-ing" a player, this is what we mean.

I don't know if Acciari would be any better on the wing under Sullivan. After all, Brock McGinn too looked like someone who could help us...until he was acquired and didn't.

I suppose we will find out in a few months.
Well see that's because Carter had to be available to move up to the third line to take the all important Right handed faceoffs. And think of the utter chaos if Acciari had to play Center one shift and RW the next shift. Plus Sully knew Carter was going to retire so he had to groom a new Right handed center to take his place for this season, so look forward to Acciari getting a lot of time on the third line taking draws.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Have two teams in the offseason ever traded future draft picks before? Like how did this come up in conversation between GMs?
Probably because some GMs are friends/acquaintances and talk with each other more often. We just had the Hayes trade with them too.

I love this trade. Dubas is exploiting the Blues urgency to get quality, while our team is better off with quality picks at a later point in time, so they can be developed when the team is serious again.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't, and won't have, a subscription, so are you able to give the bullet points?
“nothing is actually off between Sid and Pens but things feel off for no reason or anything I’ve heard other than my mind making it up”

very much an article he wrote because he needs a paycheck. Which is fair. It’s just a useless article.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
“nothing is actually off between Sid and Pens but things feel off for no reason or anything I’ve heard other than my mind making it up”

very much an article he wrote because he needs a paycheck. Which is fair. It’s just a useless article.
Welcome to 99% of modern journalism.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Edit: beaten to the punch. Looks like the Pens are thinking they'll want more picks in 2026. I presume that's when the tank starts in earnest.
The way I look at is this:
Pick whatever year you think the Pens will be ready to contend again, with the new core.
Subtract 4 years.
Picks from around that year's draft should be what we try to acquire. Then those prospects' development arc will match the team's rise, and we'll have ELCs at the right time, like Guentzel in 2017.

Obviously that is very far away and GMs almost never trade for picks from drafts that far in advance. But as that time draws closer, that should be our focal point.

In the meantime, the later draft years the better. The team's not close to ready to take advantage of prospects that will be in the league sooner.

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You’ve described every Josh Yohe article ever.

It still amazes me that even when JR was here telegraphing every move it was still the national guys who broke every transaction. The next time he writes something actually newsworthy will be the first.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't, and won't have, a subscription, so are you able to give the bullet points?
It’s a worthless article with no bullet points but here you go for some of it…lol

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I believe Crosby will sign a contract with the Penguins before training camp begins. I’d be stunned if it doesn’t happen.

Still, the longer this goes, the stranger it becomes.

What’s so complicated?

If you’re Penguins president/general manager Kyle Dubas, you aren’t going to drive a hard bargain, right? Sure, it would be in the Penguins’ best interest if Crosby played for a hometown discount, and maybe he will. He’s been doing it for almost 20 years, after all. Dubas, though, isn’t in a position to play hardball with Crosby. This isn’t just another great player. This isn’t just another aging superstar. It’s the face of a franchise founded in show business and star power. It’s the face of the NHL for most of his career. It’s the face of Team Canada. It’s one of the five greatest players in hockey history and still one of hockey’s best players in 2024.

You don’t show someone like him the door, nor do you lowball him. Dubas knows that. If Crosby wants to keep playing at $8.7 million annually, fine. If he wants to play for even less to help the team, great. If he wants a raise, whatever. He’s earned it and then some.

From Crosby’s point of view, none of this makes much sense, either. He’s on record saying he wants to play only for the Penguins…..

Under zero circumstances do the Penguins want to risk losing Crosby. For the sake of the on-ice product, for the Penguins brand and everything imaginable, keeping No. 87 in Pittsburgh until that number rises to the rafters is an undeniable priority.

So, why isn’t it being prioritized? What’s the holdup?

Dubas and Crosby’s agent, Pat Brisson, are busy. It’s summer. Hockey people go on vacation in the summer. Sure.

But they aren’t that busy. Crosby will always be Brisson’s most important client and Dubas’ most important player. Crosby was skating in Cranberry in July. It’s not like he hasn’t been around. No matter what else the Penguins and Brisson have going on, Crosby’s relationship with the Penguins is always a massive priority. Why, then, does something feel so off?

This isn’t good for ticket sales. It’s not good for corporate sponsorships. That lack of buzz around the Penguins right now is deafening, but it grows a little louder every day that passes without Crosby signing a new deal. He’s the Penguins’ heartbeat. He keeps the organization financially stable. He keeps coach Mike Sullivan’s product respectable, even if it’s not the team it once was. Hockey fans in Pittsburgh still get excited when summer nights turn a little chilly because they know hockey is right around the corner. Even if their favorite team is no longer a contender, they still get to watch Crosby play every night. And there’s something great about that.

Will he sign between now and the middle of September, when training camp begins? I have to assume so.

However, if Crosby arrives in Cranberry in September without a new contract, the Penguins will receive all kinds of buzz.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Go to archive.org.
Input the link to the paywalled article you want.
You'll now be able to read it, in most cases.

I don't really care about Yohe losing money. He's just gonna use it on junk food and sex toys anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad