Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm not sure how EK65 matches up with the plan.

One change and a bunch of 30+ year old grunts in the bottom six wasn't good enough last year to make the playoffs.

This year we've doubled down on that method with adding Hayes to replace Carter.

If the goal is to focus on prospect and youth, shouldn't we be opening up spots for youth to enter the line up?

If we are focused on expediating the rebuild shouldn't we be targeting players and signings that are easily flipped for good value?

The power play was not good enough to make the playoffs. Everything else was.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The power play was not good enough to make the playoffs. Everything else was.

16 teams make the playoffs.

The Penguins were 19th in GF/G. They were 19th in GA/G. 14th in SV%.

Not sure how the powerplay solves that.

You really don't have a clue do you? lol

Either that or you're just trolling it by being intentionally obtuse.

Why does it have to be unique? How can you aptly assert there isn't a long term solution?

Just because you have trouble accepting things doesn't mean there isn't a savvy smart GM pulling the strings. It just might be above your pay grade. In fact I feel sure of that. You're just wildly swinging without connecting.

Again young one you have no idea what you're talking about. And your opinion is based on nothing tangible. Just blind hate for no logical reason.

Go route for the Caps.

There is no long term solution because there is no long term solution.

Championships aren't built on an extra 2nd round pick.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There is no long term solution because there is no long term solution.

Championships aren't built on an extra 2nd round pick.
There is in fact a long term solution, you're just not able to understand what it is, that's on you!

Also, Name one person who's suggesting an extra 2hd round pick is the single building block back to greatness?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You and your shrine to Kyle.
This just helps illuminate the fact that you're being intellectually dishonest.

Show us. Go ahead, show where I stated to the masses that an extra 2hd round pick will lead us back to greatness, I'll wait. lol

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
A better argument is when the Penguins started to score at a top 10 pace in the last 15 games, where was their powerplay ranked?

Also...LOL, this is a fantastic shot to Sullivan and I am going to see it that way.

“They all know how to win,” Guentzel said Wednesday at Da Beauty League, a 4-on-4 summer league featuring collegiate and NHL players with ties to Minnesota. “There’s just a winning pedigree there. [And I] still feel like we have a chance to win.”
“I just want to help them try to win the Stanley Cup,” Guentzel said. “I think that’s always the ultimate goal. Obviously it’s playoffs first but just kind of come in and do my thing. Play hockey and kind of have fun with it. I’m going to play with high-end players. It’s going to be challenging but that’s what makes hockey fun.”

giphy.gif

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
You really don't have a clue do you? lol

Either that or you're just trolling it by being intentionally obtuse.

Why does it have to be unique? How can you aptly assert there isn't a long term solution?

Just because you have trouble accepting things doesn't mean there isn't a savvy smart GM pulling the strings. It just might be above your pay grade. In fact I feel sure of that. You're just wildly swinging without connecting.

Again young one you have no idea what you're talking about. And your opinion is based on nothing tangible. Just blind hate for no logical reason.

Go route for the Caps.

NO! Why? Because they're not ready. Beyond Pono.

It's a very simple premise.
I completely believe Dubas is a super genius. He put on a puffer jacket, and a pair of glasses and convinced not one, but two NHL organizations he’s an actual GM. That’s impressive ROI.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think saying "if we just had a good powerplay" is such a lazy argument tbh.

Ok, Dubas' should construct a playoff team around the 28th ranked power play in the league to honor the legends who reside on the aforementioned power play.

Here let me download Chat GPT and have it summarize the Capitals 2024 off-season so the post meets your standards.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
22nd from March 15th to April 18th.
So they had a better winning record in that span, scored at a clip that was at the top of the league, but were also absolutely atrocious defensively and allowed more goals in that span than they did all year and the powerplay didn't really mean shit.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I completely believe Dubas is a super genius. He put on a puffer jacket, and a pair of glasses and convinced not one, but two NHL organizations he’s an actual GM. That’s impressive ROI.

Hey. He took his glasses off when he put on the puffer jacket.

Ok, Dubas' should construct a playoff team around the 28th ranked power play in the league to honor the legends who reside on the aforementioned power play.

Here let me download Chat GPT and have it summarize the Capitals 2024 off-season so the post meets your standards.

I'm confused what you are even arguing at this point.

It's like you are trying to play "gotcha" because you have been saying Crosby isn't Matt Barzal for years and you have to be right on the internet rather than discuss hockey.

The overall point is that Dubas is an unimaginative GM and him taking the boring ass "take bad contracts" route without any intelligence about how he is actually executing that plan is about exactly what I would expect from him.

And without a doubt he's probably got Sully in his ear saying Kevin Hayes is actually a good player. And hey, I think Kevin Hayes with Puustinen and Beauvillier could actually be a pretty solid 3rd line so I'm not going to fully argue against that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am arguing that this era was always going to end with a whimper, and I like that we haven't picked either a total teardown or going for it. We "won the off-season" with Karlsson last year and it didn't mean shit.

I don't want to sacrifice more assets, but I don't want to disqualify the core from getting to the 2nd round one last time which is absolutely still possible with this roster. If they earn it I may even be willing to buy at the TDL.

I think that is the path we are on for the next little while, until February or so, and I am ok with that. I don't think Dubas is a great GM and never suggested as such. You are just on your normal pissbaby tantrum as your PensXification is becoming complete. Acting like we aren't a bottom of the barrel situation with an aging team and dog shit farm system and management just screwed the pooch. F off.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
But it wasn't just this offseason. Couple years ago they started to sell off assets. No wonder they are further ahead then us.
Doesn't hurt to have a coach that actually, you know, coaches.

Speaking of, how badly do you think Sully would misuse Ovi on the PP?
why would sully put his top pk guy on the power play? i don't get where this anti sully stuff comes from.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Should have targeted him last Summer. This year he was very obviously getting more than 1 year - and by all accounts a multiple year deal was not possible here.

Even adding his 20+ goals this team would be facing 17-20th in the league in scoring at best. Right now I would bet that we finish the year 22-24 in scoring. Bottom 10 in the league for sure.

Sounded like after Ottawa Florida was the only place he'd go. What a choice by him

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think saying "if we just had a good powerplay" is such a lazy argument tbh.
Goals for per 60……..

5v5 - 6th in the league
PP - 30th in the league
Total - 19th in the league
It made a HUGE difference. Also note that we gave up the most shorties.

Goaltending would be the other main issue of last season.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Goals for per 60……..

5v5 - 6th in the league
PP - 30th in the league

Special teams unequivocally is a decisive reason as to why we did not make the post season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Goals for per 60……..

5v5 - 6th in the league
PP - 30th in the league

Hm. Maybe.

I think it's too easy to just say a good powerplay solves the issues as the systemic stubborness and lack of creativity of the powerplay is what infects the entire roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad