Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
He would have gotten Tarasenko to appease the Dinosaurs. But the rebuild wouldn't be compromised as a result. He's still accruing picks and prospects.

If you can't see it it's a YOU problem and not a Kyle problem.

Some of you can't accept what's in front of you, it's that simple.

We're done winning with this core, you either accept it or be miserable. Those are your ONLY two options. Well, unless you want to follow another team that is.
Appease the Dinosaurs is a bit harsh. He's doing what he's mandated to do, build for the future, WHILE giving the current team a chance to win.

Tarasenko was that, to a certain degree. I hope he makes a few more moves of the like, if possible.

Yes, we are likely done winning, but it's boring to watch the team if you have no hope.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Appease the Dinosaurs is a bit harsh. He's doing what he's mandated to do, build for the future, WHILE giving the current team a chance to win.

Tarasenko was that, to a certain degree. I hope he makes a few more moves of the like, if possible.

Yes, we are likely done winning, but it's boring to watch the team if you have no hope.

I see this as the very clear direction. It isn't rocket science and I am not endorsing Kyle Dubas' ability to execute it. But don't punt this year while also incrementally add for the future is the direction right now. Let's see what we do with Petts, Rust, Jarry and Karlsson in the next 11 months. That will be most telling. If the team looks like they could make the second round, I am fine keeping them.

Reactions: vodeni

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
All I wanted was Jake to be dealt last year. Wasn't too stoked with the return but it is what it is--better than locking into a $70M deal with a 30 year old with injury history.

All I want this season is for Petts to be dealt by the TDL. No other cares or expectations really. Just impatiently tapping my foot until the next chapter can begin, and hopefully with it, Sullivan decides he's too important to coach a rebuild so he leaves when his deal's up.

I'm pretty easy to please anymore with regard to the Pens. All expectations out the window, just remove any assets with value. Rust next summer, too, please.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I see this as the very clear direction. It isn't rocket science and I am not endorsing Kyle Dubas' ability to execute it. But don't punt this year while also incrementally add for the future is the direction right now. Let's see what we do with Petts, Rust, Jarry and Karlsson in the next 11 months. That will be most telling. If the team looks like they could make the second round, I am fine keeping them.

How is this a clear direction?

In your sentence you literally say there are two directions.

If the focus is on the rebuild and hoping that we can retool quick enough that Sid can benefit from it, nothing should be off the table to improve the future state of this team.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
How is this a clear direction?

In your sentence you literally say there are two directions.

If the focus is on the rebuild and hoping that we can retool quick enough that Sid can benefit from it, nothing should be off the table to improve the future state of this team.

Oh, it must be One Direction? Yeah sorry, I don't agree.

Sid's best chance to benefit from anything is this year at age 37 if the team bounces back especially on the power play. As a poster above said, there is variation in this sport. This nonsense that we will be better when he is like 40 is PR-speak noise.

If Sid, Geno and Karlsson can't figure their shit out on the power play for a second consecutive year, they never will.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
All I wanted was Jake to be dealt last year. Wasn't too stoked with the return but it is what it is--better than locking into a $70M deal with a 30 year old with injury history.

All I want this season is for Petts to be dealt by the TDL. No other cares or expectations really. Just impatiently tapping my foot until the next chapter can begin, and hopefully with it, Sullivan decides he's too important to coach a rebuild so he leaves when his deal's up.

I'm pretty easy to please anymore with regard to the Pens. All expectations out the window, just remove any assets with value. Rust next summer, too, please.
If we are out of it by the TDL, trading Pettersson is 100% the right choice. I think we could get a nice young prospect and a nice pick. My only reservation is that, our left side is sooooo f***ing weak right now. One can only hope that Graves rebounds and that Gryz plays well. We let POJ go so our options after Pettersson are quite limited. I hope like hell we see some rotation on the third pairing with guys like Aho, JSI, Gryz, Shea, and whoever is playing well in WBS - Pickering maybe? What I hope is that you can find a guy that can take on the load to allow us to trade Pettersson without being a dumpster fire afterwards.

My hope would be you can send out a package like Eller+Pettersson @ 50% for a 1st + prospect. Or maybe even Jarry+Pettersson @ 50% not unlike the Quick, 1st, 3rd for Gavrikov+Korpisalo trade two years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I realize Graves will be harder to move, but I'd definitely throw a party if he's gone. Same with Jarry at the TDL.

I like Petts and wouldn't mind him around for a bit longer, but if there's a good return, go for it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hopefully Jarry rebounds a little so we can move him without giving up a prime asset lol…honestly think that was en even worse signing than Graves…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Oh, it must be One Direction? Yeah sorry, I don't agree.

Sid's best chance to benefit from anything is this year at age 37 if the team bounces back especially on the power play. As a poster above said, there is variation in this sport. This nonsense that we will be better when he is like 40 is PR-speak noise.

If Sid, Geno and Karlsson can't figure their shit out on the power play for a second consecutive year, they never will.

So it isn't a direction. It's let's wait until everything falls apart and not try now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Drury getting $1.75mil is great deal for the Canes. I think he's going to get progressively better. I wish Dubas could have made something work there (outside of the Jake trade). A guy like Drury would have been a great 3C to bring in.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Hopefully Jarry rebounds a little so we can move him without giving up a prime asset lol…honestly think that was en even worse signing than Graves…

I think every team has learned his cycle of good until the all star break and then garbage. Nobody is going to be fooled except maybe Dubas. He’ll get the Sullivan extension 3 years before he needs it treatment.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would have him as a "always available" asset for teams. Maybe if a team struggles mightily early in the season, we can push him out by Dec/Jan.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So it isn't a direction. It's let's wait until everything falls apart and not try now.

We have a very old group of players and traded like 10 first round picks.

You are misattributing the cyclical nature of sports to mismanagement. Hextall and Dubas' have both been dealt miserable hands from a "build for the future" perspective. Like this is a bottom-5 situation in the league. Where Hextall maybe failed worse is his teams never even got past the first round when they were more capable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
We have a very old group of players and traded like 10 first round picks.

You are misattributing the cyclical nature of sports to mismanagement. Hextall and Dubas' have both been dealt miserable hands from a "build for the future" perspective. Like this is a bottom-5 situation in the league. Where Hextall maybe failed worse is his teams never even got past the first round when they were more capable.

Washington just made multiple moves to compete this year and also bring in short term contracts in Mangiapane and Chychrun that they can flip for value.

They have a very old group of players as well. Asking a management group to be creative and think ahead is how management groups are successful.

Nothing in the plan Dubas has outlined is unique, creative or a long term solution. It's a "I won't fire the coach, I won't make big trades" so I will sell "hope". But only the blind would think there is hope with this plan given the moves that have been made so far.

Even the short term contracts we acquired don't fit with player types you'd gain assets back. We signed undersized, speedy forwards and puck moving defenseman. It's bizarre and terrible.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I can see that and getting Tarasenko would at least ''appear'' as helping the current group. Adding him would have made sense. And you're right, it likely would be at least a bit more entertaining.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Daddy Dubas is gonna be right back, after he gets his smokes.

The smoke:

1721328153866.png

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Im not saying you're wrong. But how exactly were we gonna get that YOUNG top 6 winger without giving up assets?

And getting younger are a work in progress getting guys like Koivunen and trying to acquire more draft picks.
It was never gonna happen this season because the prospects we have ain't ready except maaaybe pono or poulin.

Getting younger doesn't mean we sign every guy we drafted the last 2 drafts and throw them into the lineup.

The guys we signed are placeholders until we can out younger guys in the lineup when they are ready in a tear or two.

And I have zero issue with getting Hayes since we got a 2nd (which should be at least around 45 overall)

The top-six winger we need does not have to be super young. What he needs to be is a right-handed shot who can help this frickin' power play. You can get younger AND better at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive, never have been.

We did not need to insert a ton of young players this year, I agree. But right now, it will be Jack St. Ivany and that is about it. This coach has proven time and time again that he will ignore preseason performance and look mostly at birth certificates when deciding on the final roster spots. Birth certificates and style of play. If you suck, this coach wants you!

You can argue that Beauvillier was a decent gamble. And we don't have a lot of wingers READY to play at the moment, save for Koivunen. But bringing in two more veteran centers, while not deleting either last year's No. 3 or No. 4 center is the big issue. You might not think we have a lot of rookies that are ready, but the two you did mention are centers. No idea what they were thinking when they brought in Lizotte and Hayes. Especially when you consider that Eller is on an expiring contract, but the two new guys have term! It makes me shake my head every time I think of it.

So yeah, we have a better prospect pool and more picks. That part of it is good. But this coach is not going to maximize those assets, so why does it even matter?

And sorry, if we were going to take on a player we absolutely do not need in Kevin Hayes, then 45th overall was nowhere near enough incentive. Either the Blues fork over a first rounder, even a first 5years from now, or you walk away.

No other team would have taken Hayes and a second for nothing. Jake Walman is way more serviceable at this point than Hayes. Had they done Walman and a second for nothing, then you don't have Hayes right now and you don't need Grzelcyk either.

But we are the No. 2 NHL team from Boston, so that is where we are at.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I can see that and getting Tarasenko would at least ''appear'' as helping the current group. Adding him would have made sense. And you're right, it likely would be at least a bit more entertaining.

Should have targeted him last Summer. This year he was very obviously getting more than 1 year - and by all accounts a multiple year deal was not possible here.

Even adding his 20+ goals this team would be facing 17-20th in the league in scoring at best. Right now I would bet that we finish the year 22-24 in scoring. Bottom 10 in the league for sure.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Washington just made multiple moves to compete this year and also bring in short term contracts in Mangiapane and Chychrun that they can flip for value.

They have a very old group of players as well. Asking a management group to be creative and think ahead is how management groups are successful.

Nothing in the plan Dubas has outlined is unique, creative or a long term solution. It's a "I won't fire the coach, I won't make big trades" so I will sell "hope". But only the blind would think there is hope with this plan given the moves that have been made so far.

Even the short term contracts we acquired don't fit with player types you'd gain assets back. We signed undersized, speedy forwards and puck moving defenseman. It's bizarre and terrible.

Sick, we got Erik Karlsson last year. Who we still have BTW. If the old folks are as good as you say they are we shouldn't have a problem bouncing back. Especially since they are playing for their preferred coach - at least #87 and #58's preferred coach.

Reactions: Ryder71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Sick, we got Erik Karlsson last year. Who we still have BTW. If the old folks are as good as you say they are we shouldn't have a problem bouncing back. Especially since they are playing for their preferred coach - at least #87 and #58's preferred coach.

I'm not sure how EK65 matches up with the plan.

One change and a bunch of 30+ year old grunts in the bottom six wasn't good enough last year to make the playoffs.

This year we've doubled down on that method with adding Hayes to replace Carter.

If the goal is to focus on prospect and youth, shouldn't we be opening up spots for youth to enter the line up?

If we are focused on expediating the rebuild shouldn't we be targeting players and signings that are easily flipped for good value?

Reactions: Victor Z

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

You really don't have a clue do you? lol

Either that or you're just trolling it by being intentionally obtuse.

Why does it have to be unique? How can you aptly assert there isn't a long term solution?

Just because you have trouble accepting things doesn't mean there isn't a savvy smart GM pulling the strings. It just might be above your pay grade. In fact I feel sure of that. You're just wildly swinging without connecting.

Again young one you have no idea what you're talking about. And your opinion is based on nothing tangible. Just blind hate for no logical reason.

Go route for the Caps.

If the goal is to focus on prospect and youth, shouldn't we be opening up spots for youth to enter the line up?
NO! Why? Because they're not ready. Beyond Pono.

It's a very simple premise.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Good post and I agree. With this core one would think they might be good enough. However we all know they aren't. Let them go down with the ship! And you're right, they wanted Sully to stay. So let the punishment fit the crime! lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we are out of it by the TDL, trading Pettersson is 100% the right choice. I think we could get a nice young prospect and a nice pick. My only reservation is that, our left side is sooooo f***ing weak right now. One can only hope that Graves rebounds and that Gryz plays well. We let POJ go so our options after Pettersson are quite limited. I hope like hell we see some rotation on the third pairing with guys like Aho, JSI, Gryz, Shea, and whoever is playing well in WBS - Pickering maybe? What I hope is that you can find a guy that can take on the load to allow us to trade Pettersson without being a dumpster fire afterwards.

My hope would be you can send out a package like Eller+Pettersson @ 50% for a 1st + prospect. Or maybe even Jarry+Pettersson @ 50% not unlike the Quick, 1st, 3rd for Gavrikov+Korpisalo trade two years ago.
IF? We'll be out of it my friend, well before the trade deadline.

#SellOffEverythingNotBoltedDown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad