Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t mind cheap no-risk reclamation projects like Kase but we’ve already got our bottom 6 hinging on 3-4 reclamation projects as is, and a couple more are currently on the outside of the starting lineup (Puljujarvi & Bemstrom).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean its not too crazy to say a team with Crosby and Karlsson can possibly make the playoffs.
It is now. They aren't making the playoffs. Sure, if this were 8 years ago. lol

lol…lots of delusional optimism in this one…

So why post it?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Does a poster who prefaces everything with lol actually Laugh Out Loud as they read the articles?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
More of a single nose chortle than a belly busting laugh out loud

I’m more of a Nelson. Well, a half Nelson.

IMG_0616.jpeg

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Dubas doesnt have a set plan at all right now. He tried to sign freakin Tarasenko when he states this team is in a retool and wants to get younger. How the hell does Tarasenko align with his stated plans? Or any of his free agent moves for that matter. His offseason has been nothing short of a debacle. Thank you to those who opened my eyes (Gurgs) lol.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dubas doesnt have a set plan at all right now. He tried to sign freakin Tarasenko when he states this team is in a retool and wants to get younger. How the hell does Tarasenko align with his stated plans? Or any of his free agent moves for that matter. His offseason has been nothing short of a debacle. Thank you to those who opened my eyes
He would have gotten Tarasenko to appease the Dinosaurs. But the rebuild wouldn't be compromised as a result. He's still accruing picks and prospects.

If you can't see it it's a YOU problem and not a Kyle problem.

Some of you can't accept what's in front of you, it's that simple.

We're done winning with this core, you either accept it or be miserable. Those are your ONLY two options. Well, unless you want to follow another team that is.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
On the bright side, Sully’s stubborn overrated ass is the perfect tank commander for us to suck. He’ll eventually get tired of losing as it will be beneath a coach of his stature and will go somewhere else after this current contract to prove he’s a fraud.
The issue with a tank commander is they would be a bloke you can see being fired. Other Tank Commanders were shit canned when the teams got the draft results they needed.

Quinn lol is now the Assistant Coach in Pittsburgh.

Blashill sucked so hard at tanking they just fired his ass in Detroit and now he's doing a shit job as an Assistant in Tampa.

Richardson is still around in Chicago and that's a shocker. For now anyway. I'd laugh if Joel SexualAssaulthider goes back to Chicago if Luke is fired. Luke hasn't had more than 26 wins with them. That's still not as bad as Sid's first year where the Pens won 22 games.

i lmboiasb.

(laughing my balls off in a starbucks bathroom)
Starbucks employee - "That weird bloke with the Penguins tank top and hat is in the washroom laughing loudly again....call security."

More of a single nose chortle than a belly busting laugh out loud
I am more of a slight nose puff chuckle type.

NPC is sort of in use as an acronym. I guess it could be SNPC

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Despite the overall outlook right now, I maintain that it is the coach holding the team back from potentially getting back into the playoffs. The answer to the question of why couldn't a team try to reset, rebuild on the fly and recuperate future assets while trying to stay competitive and return to the playoffs is: Mike Sullivan. That is it. Otherwise, I like the plan.

You can do what Dubas is trying to do and be successful at it. You can because you have a winning core. It is the second part of the plan that won't work under Sullivan. There is no way in hell Sullivan is going to tell Dubas to trade veteran player X because young, intriguing prospect Y is ready to contribute.

And let's make something clear: Sullivan is running the roster. Dubas has the title of GM and president of hockey operations, but Sullivan runs the show. Dubas is a smart dude, that much I am fairly certain. But he looks like a complete tool when he says we need to get younger, and then goes out and signs a bunch of nothing veterans to a roster that already had a bunch of nothing veterans.

Dubas has full control of the future assets, which is why we seem to have a nice prospect pool now (and it is getting better). But the overall roster? I will die on the hill that Sullivan calls the shots. Blake Lizotte is here because of Sullivan, even though we have three better center prospects who could be vying for that job this September. Hayes is here because Sullivan wanted him. We absolutely should have gotten a first-rounder to take on that crap combination of player/contract, but Dubas could not because he could not walk away. Sullivan would not allow that. He wanted Hayes. Again, I will die on this hill. Beauvillier is another nothing signing. We needed a top-six winger this off-season, and that was pretty much it. Instead, we got drek. Who was drek as a player himself? Mike Sullivan.

That is why this team currently looks so schizophrenic, and why this off-season has felt so bipolar. The GM says one thing; does the opposite. Everybody talks up the youth coming up, but completely shut the door on their chances to crack the lineup.

Either Kyle Dubas is a complete idiot or he has virtually no control over the situation. I tend to lean towards the latter. Those jokes we make about Massachusetts or Boston connections with the players and coaches being brought in would be a hell of a lot funnier (LOL) if they weren't so damn accurate and true.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Despite the overall outlook right now, I maintain that it is the coach holding the team back from potentially getting back into the playoffs. The answer to the question of why couldn't a team try to reset, rebuild on the fly and recuperate future assets while trying to stay competitive and return to the playoffs is: Mike Sullivan. That is it. Otherwise, I like the plan.

You can do what Dubas is trying to do and be successful at it. You can because you have a winning core. It is the second part of the plan that won't work under Sullivan. There is no way in hell Sullivan is going to tell Dubas to trade veteran player X because young, intriguing prospect Y is ready to contribute.

And let's make something clear: Sullivan is running the roster. Dubas has the title of GM and president of hockey operations, but Sullivan runs the show. Dubas is a smart dude, that much I am fairly certain. But he looks like a complete tool when he says we need to get younger, and then goes out and signs a bunch of nothing veterans to a roster that already had a bunch of nothing veterans.

Dubas has full control of the future assets, which is why we seem to have a nice prospect pool now (and it is getting better). But the overall roster? I will die on the hill that Sullivan calls the shots. Blake Lizotte is here because of Sullivan, even though we have three better center prospects who could be vying for that job this September. Hayes is here because Sullivan wanted him. We absolutely should have gotten a first-rounder to take on that crap combination of player/contract, but Dubas could not because he could not walk away. Sullivan would not allow that. He wanted Hayes. Again, I will die on this hill. Beauvillier is another nothing signing. We needed a top-six winger this off-season, and that was pretty much it. Instead, we got drek. Who was drek as a player himself? Mike Sullivan.

That is why this team currently looks so schizophrenic, and why this off-season has felt so bipolar. The GM says one thing; does the opposite. Everybody talks up the youth coming up, but completely shut the door on their chances to crack the lineup.

Either Kyle Dubas is a complete idiot or he has virtually no control over the situation. I tend to lean towards the latter. Those jokes we make about Massachusetts or Boston connections with the players and coaches being brought in would be a hell of a lot funnier (LOL) if they weren't so damn accurate and true.
Im not saying you're wrong. But how exactly were we gonna get that YOUNG top 6 winger without giving up assets?

And getting younger are a work in progress getting guys like Koivunen and trying to acquire more draft picks.
It was never gonna happen this season because the prospects we have ain't ready except maaaybe pono or poulin.

Getting younger doesn't mean we sign every guy we drafted the last 2 drafts and throw them into the lineup.

The guys we signed are placeholders until we can out younger guys in the lineup when they are ready in a tear or two.

And I have zero issue with getting Hayes since we got a 2nd (which should be at least around 45 overall)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team's gonna have to suck real bad for probably a long time before they can compete again. The era's dead, there's no "retool on the fly" coming. They're just gonna have to draft and develop well, particularly after Sid retires. /shrug

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Either Kyle Dubas is a complete idiot or he has virtually no control over the situation.

I've got some bad news for you. Kyle Dubas is a complete idiot.

Im not saying you're wrong. But how exactly were we gonna get that YOUNG top 6 winger without giving up assets?

And getting younger are a work in progress getting guys like Koivunen and trying to acquire more draft picks.
It was never gonna happen this season because the prospects we have ain't ready except maaaybe pono or poulin.

Getting younger doesn't mean we sign every guy we drafted the last 2 drafts and throw them into the lineup.

The guys we signed are placeholders until we can out younger guys in the lineup when they are ready in a tear or two.

And I have zero issue with getting Hayes since we got a 2nd (which should be at least around 45 overall)

Trade for young players. Sign young players. Trade old players to make room for young players.

These moves seem relatively obvious.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I've got some bad news for you. Kyle Dubas is a complete idiot.

Trade for young players. Sign young players. Trade old players to make room for young players.

These moves seem relatively obvious.
Which young players were available that you think we should have signed?
Its not like 23 year old superstars are sittning there in FA waiting to get signed. Closest is castoffs or reclamation projects that wasn't qualified by their former teams.

So most likely we have to give upp major assets to get said young players via trade. Which I don't think we are in a position to do since we are entering a rebuild.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Its not like 23 year old superstars are sittning there in FA waiting to get signed. Closest is castoffs or reclamation projects that wasn't qualified by their former teams.

So most likely we have to give upp major assets to get said young players via trade.
Which I don't think we are in a position to do since we are entering a rebuild.

Yes this is what we should do.

Yes this is what we should do, I don't care about entering a rebuild. If you give up assets for younger players you can recoup them in a few years.

We also blocked out Ponomarev and Poulin from ever having a realistic chance with the amount of warm bodies we signed.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

So most likely we have to give upp major assets to get said young players via trade. Which I don't think we are in a position to do since we are entering a rebuild.
For a lot of people here, it doesn't matter what moves are made. Any move made is the wrong move!

"Trade for a young player...WAIT! Not THAT young player! What's he doing! ZOMGF!!!!"

"Sign young players! WAIT, not like THAT! What's he doing!! ZOMFG!!!"

"Trade valuable assets for young prospects and picks! WAIT, not like THAT!!!! ZOMG! Such a bad trade even though we got young players and draft picks back!"

"We should take on bad contracts for payment! WAIT, not like THAT!!! Hayes sucks!!! Why would he add him!!! ZOMG!!!"

This isn't always a board of the best and brightest and most genuine people who legitimately want to discuss hockey. A lot of people here are sad, grumpy, energy-suckers who want you to know they are unhappy and will stop at nothing to make you unhappy.

This place is a much better place if you place cancerous posters on ignore.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
For a lot of people here, it doesn't matter what moves are made. Any move made is the wrong move!

"Trade for a young player...WAIT! Not THAT young player! What's he doing! ZOMGF!!!!"

"Sign young players! WAIT, not like THAT! What's he doing!! ZOMFG!!!"

"Trade valuable assets for young prospects and picks! WAIT, not like THAT!!!! ZOMG! Such a bad trade even though we got young players and draft picks back!"

"We should take on bad contracts for payment! WAIT, not like THAT!!! Hayes sucks!!! Why would he add him!!! ZOMG!!!"

This isn't always a board of the best and brightest and most genuine people who legitimately want to discuss hockey. A lot of people here are sad, grumpy, energy-suckers who want you to know they are unhappy and will stop at nothing to make you unhappy.

This place is a much better place if you place cancerous posters on ignore.

Some posters can't understand nuance and want to live in a Ryder71 world where everything is peaches and cream.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dubas doesnt have a set plan at all right now. He tried to sign freakin Tarasenko when he states this team is in a retool and wants to get younger. How the hell does Tarasenko align with his stated plans? Or any of his free agent moves for that matter. His offseason has been nothing short of a debacle. Thank you to those who opened my eyes (Gurgs) lol.
There are long-term and short-term plans and it's the same as it's been.

Clearly he is wanting the team to gain young players and draft picks so that they can retool with younger players. At the same time, you have Malkin and Letang signed for a couple more years and you are wanting to resign Sid for three or more. So the goal will also be, provide them with the talent to be competitive.

These are not mutually exclusive goals. He's been quite clear about it and his actions are right on that path. The only people "confused" right now are the willfully ignorant or the trolls. Yes, trading for a young guy like Robertson for example would help. Trading a guy like Eller out would help. Yes, signing a guy like Tarasenko would help now. Two things can be true at the same time. It doesn't have to be "all in, clean out the cupboards!" or "sell of every single valuable piece and tear it down the studs". There's a middle ground and, again, he's been quite clear on it. If you're using Gurgs as your spiritual guide, I recommend seeking Jesus and checking yourself in to a local detox facility.

Now that said, you can be mad about guys like Beauvillier or Lizotte. I get that. I'm still mad about Eller, Acciari, and Nieto. We've collected a lot of junk. Junk that doesn't help that much though guys like that are the types of signings he probably should be making in our position - low risk guys for cheap who may be able to contribute. Beauvillier had a 40pt season and then a bad one. He didn't get injured or magically forget how to play hockey. He's a great candidate for a Heinen-like return. He's also fast which is something we've lacked. Seems right in line with the types of signings we should be making.

That said, free agency is only 18 days old. Trades can still happen. Plenty of RFAs targets still out there as well.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
There are long-term and short-term plans and it's the same as it's been.

Clearly he is wanting the team to gain young players and draft picks so that they can retool with younger players. At the same time, you have Malkin and Letang signed for a couple more years and you are wanting to resign Sid for three or more. So the goal will also be, provide them with the talent to be competitive.

These are not mutually exclusive goals. He's been quite clear about it and his actions are right on that path. The only people "confused" right now are the willfully ignorant or the trolls. Yes, trading for a young guy like Robertson for example would help. Trading a guy like Eller out would help. Yes, signing a guy like Tarasenko would help now. Two things can be true at the same time. It doesn't have to be "all in, clean out the cupboards!" or "sell of every single valuable piece and tear it down the studs". There's a middle ground and, again, he's been quite clear on it. If you're using Gurgs as your spiritual guide, I recommend seeking Jesus and checking yourself in to a local detox facility.

Now that said, you can be mad about guys like Beauvillier or Lizotte. I get that. I'm still mad about Eller, Acciari, and Nieto. We've collected a lot of junk. Junk that doesn't help that much though guys like that are the types of signings he probably should be making in our position - low risk guys for cheap who may be able to contribute. Beauvillier had a 40pt season and then a bad one. He didn't get injured or magically forget how to play hockey. He's a great candidate for a Heinen-like return. He's also fast which is something we've lacked. Seems right in line with the types of signings we should be making.

That said, free agency is only 18 days old. Trades can still happen. Plenty of RFAs targets still out there as well.

Have two opposite objectives isn't in a plan no matter how many times you or Ryder type up multiple paragraphs saying it is.

Reactions: eXile3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad