Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Yeah I saw Jesse was talking with someone on Twitter and they asked him if a Rust comparison is appropriate for McGroaty, Jesse said that McGroaty is way more physical and uses his size way more.

I think the only knock on him as a player is his footspeed is pretty meh from what I've read, but he's an incredibly well rounded player beyond that. Seems like a perfect fit to play with Crosby.

He just signed his ELC with the Penguins and he's literally not allowed to play in the NCAA if he's under NHL contract.
never mind . i was confused by the rules around the time lines for Dev camp… which does have a cut off date. my bad.

He signed his ELC today, so I'm guessing he changed his mind to return to NCAA/Michigan
I'm guessing it was directed at Winnipeg telling them he wasn't going to play there
yeah i got muddled with the cutoff dates for Dev camp.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that it matters to the Penguins anymore, but I am legitimately curious for how Yager does in the WHL next year with who Moose Jaw is losing to the pros. Firkus (126 points in 63 games), Calvert (95 points in 68 games), Mateychuk (75 points in 52 games as a defenseman) and Savoie (47 points in 23 games) are all graduating from the WHL, the support around Yager next year is going to be wildly worse than it was last year.

He likely ends up getting traded to a new team with more support later in the year, but I wouldn't be surprised at all for Yager to have a regression on his production just due to the substantially worse team around him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
His name is Rutger, I like that he's embracing the villain in him.

1724351269206.jpeg

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Talk about a completely unexpected trade.

I think it's a net positive, though the Penguins have so little talent in their system that it's a shame to lose Yager as a 1-for-1.

That said, McGroarty could realistically open the season with the Pens, whereas Yager probably needed to have an absolutely phenomenal camp and was more likely headed back to juniors.

Also, I echo what someone else said -- something seemed weird about the Yager/Pens relationship. I wasn't concerned, but he took a really long time to sign his ELC. The fact that Brunicke signed before Yager is just weird.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
not sure what to think. so hard to tell with prospects but another bunting kinda player should be good for us. though i was looking forward to seeing what yager might bring us. but meh...

too bad we couldn't have traded them Jarry for him (I know I know Helle is there and not practical for them) i just kinda wish Jarry would just get traded period, even if it's just a bag of pucks we will be better by subtraction when he's gone

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
So what is the purpose of this trade for us? Is McGroarty a significantly better prospect? Or are we just aiming for a more NHL-ready player who plays a different style?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Overall, it was a minor opportunity to better the team now and in the future. It gave us a much better 1LW prospect to boot.

There are zero downsides to this trade as is.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm mostly over the shock of losing Yager. Give me another day and it will pass. Yager was almost certainly not making the squad this season, and McGroaty more than likely is, so good God do we have logjam of forwards on our hands.

Even if Nieto, Acciari, Eller all magically disappear, they all don't fit.

McGroarty Sid Rust
Bunting Malkin Rakell
DOC Glass Hayes
Beauvillier Lizotte Puljujarvi
Poulin Ponomarev Puustinen
Nieto Eller Acciari

Cut 4 guys. Koivunen and Gruden can straight forget about it.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Overall, it was a minor opportunity to better the team now and in the future. It gave us a much better 1LW prospect to boot.

There are zero downsides to this trade as is.
Yager being a legit top prospect had me fantasizing about him leading the first line post Sid retirement. It's gonna take me a few to get over that picture I had in my head and get on board with this move, but the logic of the move is sound.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I’m pumped for this. Haven’t been this excited since the EK trade.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
kind of a comp for McGroarty (IMO and in play style only. NOT saying he will reach same level) is a more physical/dogged Guentzel

Like super efficient with touches and clinical around the paint. Gets himself into good areas to feed/shoot but not necessarily going to carry the puck, drive entries, exits.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Agreed but I think we can say that for just about anyone making sub-$1mil. He's a 30-35pt per 82 player based on stats last year. I am really rooting for him to break out this year but from what I saw in his game, I have doubts. The harsher reality is that there are dozens of 30pt players in the league that will play for sub-$1mil. I think Puustinen will be a fine stop-gap middle-6 winger for us until some of our other younger guys come up - Yager, Pono, Koivunene, Howe, etc. I'm not saying his fate is sealed but I'm suggesting that he is more Simon than Rust/Sheary/Jake.

It's the same thing we've heard and seen play out: "We need to start accruing draft picks and young players for when the core retires. Until then, we will add sensibly priced players to help us be as competitive as we reasonably can be. If we make the playoffs, great. If we don't, oh well but we're not going to go out and buy a playoff slot that might hurt us more in the future"

That has been the directive for awhile. That's the direction that Dubas has taken the team in. The "there is no plan" gang is willfully ignorant at this point.

I don't understand how you can call DOC a 3rd liner at best but then turn around and say Puustinen is "very valuable". I mean, that is in STARK contrast to what we saw play out last year.
Puus is a chameleon that elevates with better players. He's actually really good along the boards and has the smarts to play with elite players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad