Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is something that confused me a bit when I saw the prospect thread insisting that Yager was NHL ready and sending him back to juniors would be a mistake. It just didn't make sense to me to read that and then see Yager as the 3rd highest scorer on his team.

Mateychuk is a beast and is the best of the lot IMO... even as much as people make of Firkus.

The Penguins got the better prospect, here. That's something to be pleased about. But I don't think by a significant margin. But as an American and more NHL ready... Rutger will have a much better chance here carving out SOME kind of role right away while Yager might as well not have even shown up for camp. That's the big advantage here, I think.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
To me it's no different than a player that signs his ELC, then a 2 year bridge deal just so he can hit UFA and leave by 23-24 anyway..
I don't love either. I get that it's a newfound assertiveness that players nowadays have more often than before, and like I said, its the old school in me.

Just makes me think, "Well, he wouldn't even skate for a team that drafted him into the NHL and put that stock in him, how long before he decides he's sick of Pittsburgh and asks for another trade since he got what he wanted last time?"

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think they nearly have to unless Dubas's plan is to send a bunch of guys to WBS.

They have 250k in space. Now that with Puustinen, Puljujarvi, and Bemstrom on the NHL roster so, waiving 1-2 of them would easily fit McGroarty.

I completely forgot about Bemstrom.

I wonder how he feels.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Helps Crosby today and makes the Pens suck harder after he retires, can’t be too unhappy.

McGroarty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Glass-Hayes
Acciari-Eller-Puljujarvi
Puustinen, Ponomarev

It’s still ass but it will be more fun to watch than I had feared.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Mateychuk is a beast and is the best of the lot IMO... even as much as people make of Firkus.

The Penguins got the better prospect, here. That's something to be pleased about. But I don't think by a significant margin. But as an American and more NHL ready... Rutger will have a much better chance here carving out SOME kind of role right away while Yager might as well not have even shown up for camp. That's the big advantage here, I think.

Yeah Wheeler has both Yager and McGroaty on the same tier, but McGroaty is ranked 33rd while Yager is ranked 58th. I would have obviously preferred to keep Yager while also acquiring McGroaty, but the Penguins had 2 assets the Jets could want for McGroaty between the 2025 1st and Yager. And I figure most people here would rather not trade the 2025 1st.

It's a nice win-win trade for both sides when you look at Winnipeg's situation with McGroaty.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Solid deal. Now the question is what does Dubas do to open a spot in the forward group..

You forgot Glass!
His spot is secured on the end of the bench. 🤣
Kidding aside, rather him than Beauvillier.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Jets fan popping in to see what you guys think of Yeager.

mcG is gonna be a good one i think..

But a bunch of you don’t seem to understand that he’s already optioned for the NCAA this year and will not be playing for Pittsburgh in any way shape or form until next year at least.

Whoops wasn't clearly thinking. got cunfused by the Dev camp exclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not saying he is super big but dB has him at 6 1 and 200 lbs.

Yager has time to get big and why I think he needs a couple years was at 170 lbs 6 foot.

So that's a big + That he has size.

Yeah I saw Jesse was talking with someone on Twitter and they asked him if a Rust comparison is appropriate for McGroaty, Jesse said that McGroaty is way more physical and uses his size way more.

I think the only knock on him as a player is his footspeed is pretty meh from what I've read, but he's an incredibly well rounded player beyond that. Seems like a perfect fit to play with Crosby.

But a bunch of you don’t seem to understand that he’s already optioned for the NCAA this year and will not be playing for Pittsburgh in any way shape or form until next year at least.

He just signed his ELC with the Penguins and he's literally not allowed to play in the NCAA if he's under NHL contract.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Once he realizes that this will be his only chance to ever play with Sidney Crosby, he will change his mind!! ;):sarcasm:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah I saw Jesse was talking with someone on Twitter and they asked him if a Rust comparison is appropriate for McGroaty, Jesse said that McGroaty is way more physical and uses his size way more.

I think the only knock on him as a player is his footspeed is pretty meh from what I've read, but he's an incredibly well rounded player beyond that. Seems like a perfect fit to play with Crosby.

He just signed his ELC with the Penguins and he's literally not allowed to play in the NCAA if he's under NHL contract.

I really dislike the skating bit.

Yager is a smoother skater. Skating is not everything and you can work on it.

Tavares had that big knock on him. He skates ugly but it works.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'll reserve ultimate judgment until we see him, but man, if you listed "what Sid needs," he fills it incredibly well. It's been awhile since we've had an "attack the net" kind of guy. Bunting was a revelation just like Hornqvist was when we got him.

Putting him with Sid and Rust or even Sid and DOC as you suggested before will help hide that a bit. Given that Sid's lines specialty is grinding down low and cycling, I think his style will work very well. I don't think he needs the lightning fast footspeed.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Selected 14th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft by the Jets, McGroarty has spent the past two seasons at the University of Michigan, and recently announced his decision to return for the 2024-25 season.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Selected 14th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft by the Jets, McGroarty has spent the past two seasons at the University of Michigan, and recently announced his decision to return for the 2024-25 season.
That’s not binding in any way, shape or form. All reports are that he will sign his ELC, and he literally cannot play NCAA thereafter.

Not to mention that the entire reason he requested a trade was to play in the NHL this year.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
That’s not binding in any way, shape or form. All reports are that he will sign his ELC, and he literally cannot play NCAA thereafter.

Not to mention that the entire reason he requested a trade was to play in the NHL this year.
He signed his ELC today, so I'm guessing he changed his mind to return to NCAA/Michigan
I'm guessing it was directed at Winnipeg telling them he wasn't going to play there

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad