Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerbeardman

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think anybody is unhappy from a value standpoint. It's just very disappointing going from thinking the team improved the prospect pool and now would have two good prospects to quickly finding out there's still only one good prospect. And then you add in the Mike Sullivan factor and McGroarty wanting immediate playing time and it looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If we didn't have a million forwards already competing for way to few spots this would have been an ok trade. Sure feels like a loss now only adding to our roster problem since McG will be on an NHL deal while Yager would have gone back to juniors.

Unless we move a player or two without seeeterners this is not a good deal.

Waivers 🤷‍♂️

1724346053299.png

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Something to keep in mind…

The guy who pushed for the Yager pick is in Colorado now. We just brought in Wes Clark. I don’t think the new manangement/scout team were as high on Yager as previous.

I literally have nothing to back this up with, but I've felt that there's been something weird about the Pittsburgh/Yager relationship, either from Pittsburghs side or Yagers side. No idea why I feel like that, just do. :D

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Yeah those Michigan teams have been stacked. Still 52 points as a sophomore is no joke. I think he’s a better prospect than Yager but they’re both really comparable in value.
It’s encouraging but I think NCAA has been becoming more offensive friendly over the last decade and not everyone has fully caught on. There are multiple players now every year putting up numbers that you couldn’t imagine 5 or so years ago.

It feels like it started after Eichel decided to make it look like a junior B league as a freshman.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think the argument to have here is whether it would have been better to dangle the 2025 1st over Yager and have both Yager and McGroaty, but I'm pretty sure that most here would rather trade Yager over the 2025 1st.

They basically traded the 60th ranked prospect in the NHL for the 35th ranked prospect in the NHL. I don't understand how that's anything but a win.
I'm guessing Winnipeg would rather have Yager than that 1st too. At least there's a chance he can contribute this year or next.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Easy to say McGroarty is better tbf. Year older.

Yager could have a big year next season without Matyechuk, Firkus, Savoie, Calvert and could look just as good in his D+2

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lol I love how some people have to make everything a battle even when it isn't.

It's a fine trade though honestly I don't know enough about either player from an NHL standpoint and frankly neither do any of you. But if what everyone says is true then you can't complain about upgrading your best prospect from a like B+ to an A- or whatever. That's a good thing.

But I don't think it's some masterstroke, either. It's simply fair value going out and coming in. Rutger wants PT and I assume QUALITY PT and this team is crowded AF right now with the kinds of players the coaching staff loves. So this is all still pretty TBD IMO.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Yager's good but he also had a very fortunate season. 3rd best player on a stacked Moose Jaw team with a ridiculous powerplay, and got a few looks with Celebrini at the U20s. I think his value is very high right now for superficial reasons and it might not be any higher at this time next season with him heading back to a rebuilding Moose Jaw team.

If you zoom out a little Yager isn't really *that* great. In a re-draft I'm not even sure he'd go more than a spot or two higher. Lots of guys in his draft class had pretty good seasons, too. Including guys taken after him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also I say all this as someone who is a bit skeptical of Yager.

Every time I've watched him play his teammates impress me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad