Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
McGroarty really impressed me at the WJHC. It would have been nice to get him for less than Yager, but I think this is a good way to get some youth in the line up faster. Yager wasn't going to be able to go to the AHL and probably wasn't NHL ready. McGroarty is further along and ready for NHL minutes now imo.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bummed to lose Yager but you have to give to get and Yager may have been the only thing we had that the Jets would take in return. Pens obviously feel this was a chance to upgrade on Yager as a prospect. Time will tell if they are right.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
McGroarty-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Hayes-Beauvillier
Lizotte-Eller-Acciari

Not the worst possible lineup.
IMG_4653.jpeg

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Im higher on Yager than most, even though it may not have seemed that way. I also think he is largely under valued as a prospect and play carrier. I don't love this trade, slightly above neutral, just because I do like McGroarty as a player-type.

Also don't love kids who won't sign places that drafted them, but that's the old man yelling at a cloud in me.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I know it's not going to happen, but can we trade Beauvillier for example or is there like a "grace" period after signing as a free agent where he can't be traded?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really have to think short-term needs really played a role here as well. It seemed pretty much a lock that Yager was going to go back the WHL this year. Primarily a center but likely to start as a wing, hopefully next year.

As the roster sat an hour ago, DOC was our 1LW. We REALLY needed that young player to come to camp and blow everyone away to solidify the roster. Being the RM plays center and LW, I can see the logic with them wanting to get the kid that plays a style that we very much need and that can help now. It was tough to see where Yager fit this year. 1LW with Sid was a no from me. My hope was that he could have solidified the 2nd or 3rd line to take pressure off the top line. But now we have someone to bolster the top line. Ideally, this can be a Jordan Staal situation where he starts at LW, learns the NHL, learns from Sid and Geno, and then when injuries happen, he slides into the center position and then he becomes the new 2C when Malkin retires. Ideally by then, other prospects like Pono, Koivunen, Howe, etc are ready as well.

Now, I will flat out say that ADDING McGroarty to Yager would have obviously been the ideal situation but it is what it is. Previous discussions regarding him with Jets fans made we feel like we didn't have the horses to do it outside of Yager.

Overall, I'm happy because I think McGroarty will be a really good player and I have more confidence that he'll work with Sid compared to Yager.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Im higher on Yager than most, even though it may not have seemed that way. I also think he is largely under valued as a prospect and play carrier. I don't love this trade, slightly above neutral, just because I do like McGroarty as a player-type.

Also don't love kids who won't sign places that drafted them, but that's the old man yelling at a cloud in me.
To me it's no different than a player that signs his ELC, then a 2 year bridge deal just so he can hit UFA and leave by 23-24 anyway..

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
McGroarty really impressed me at the WJHC. It would have been nice to get him for less than Yager, but I think this is a good way to get some youth in the line up faster. Yager wasn't going to be able to go to the AHL and probably wasn't NHL ready. McGroarty is further along and ready for NHL minutes now imo.
I will say, that while I do think Yager had a good WJC, McGroarty was a much more prominent and noticeable player.

We really did not need to sign Lizotte or trade Acciari

Glass Puus as Bench riders?
I imagine Glass and Puljujarvi as the HS's and Puustinen in the AHL.

I kinda forgot about Glass honestly.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From everything I've read about McGroaty, he seems to be a perfect fit with Crosby. I think what I'd actually advocate for is O'Connor-Crosby-McGroaty and Bunting-Malkin-Rust in the top-6, but I think we all know it will be McGroaty-Crosby-Rust and Bunting-Malkin-Rakell.

I think the best lineup they could go with right now is:

McGroaty-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Glass-Beauvillier
Hayes-Acciari

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd like to see a few more moves, but the lineup is slowly getting better.
I think they nearly have to unless Dubas's plan is to send a bunch of guys to WBS.

They have 250k in space. Now that with Puustinen, Puljujarvi, and Bemstrom on the NHL roster so, waiving 1-2 of them would easily fit McGroarty.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also I say all this as someone who is a bit skeptical of Yager.

Every time I've watched him play his teammates impress me more.

This is something that confused me a bit when I saw the prospect thread insisting that Yager was NHL ready and sending him back to juniors would be a mistake. It just didn't make sense to me to read that and then see Yager as the 3rd highest scorer on his team.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Okay the Pens seriously have too many forwards now. At least 2 players need to be traded imo
Agreed, that's what I mentioned a little earlier. Hopefully KD can find a few suiters here rather than us lose players on waivers. I wouldn't say he is having a great summer but over the last 10 days or so with the picks acquired KD has been doing pretty well. Hopefully he keeps it up until camp starts!

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I will say, that while I do think Yager had a good WJC, McGroarty was a much more prominent and noticeable player.
I agree, but in fairness to Yager the 9 month age difference really does matter when you are comparing 18 and 19 year old prospects. McGroarty should have been the standout in that tournament. The benchmark for Yager will be of he can look that good this Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad