Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
2 downsides of this deal to me - and I said I would do this deal weeks ago (might need to give myself a bump)

- I think McG has a lower floor because skating. Yager could be nothing bc of size, average/jack of all trades type skillset but probably was gonna play as a decent 4C type at worst because he’s a good skating RH shot centerman. McGroarty might not have dynamic enough skating - and he’s not that big so what is he if he can’t be a top of line up guy?

- McG played C in college but he’s a wing in NHL for sure. Yager had better chance to stick in middle
I hope you're right. But I think Yager’s maniacal obsession to improve any self-perceived weaknesses in his game is going to make him better than many think possible. Even better than McGroarty.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Mcgroarty + Yager > Mcgroarty > Yager so still a trade to be excited about I think. Yager is the first real prospect this team has had in a while so I get being a little upset by seeing him included but gotta give to get.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm still baffled by the fact the reason he wanted a trade was Winnipeg wouldn't guarantee him a spot this upcoming season, but now he's a Penguin under Mike Sullivan.

Like I know it's a broken record, but Sullivan isn't exactly a coach these past handful of seasons who actually plays young, unproven guys. At best, McGroarty will make the opening night roster as a 7 minute 4th liner, at worst he'll make it as a healthy scratch.

Maybe I end up being wrong, but I can't see him being used in a top nine role this year. Not unless we have about 4 or 5 injuries to our top 9 before now and the season starting.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We look to have gotten better and I imagine it was this or no deal. Possible alternative would be an unprotected 1st which would be a hard NO given if things go south could be a top 5 pick.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Very very disappointing…don’t get this at all…we needed to move vets not prospects…wouldn’t have done this deal…get rid of Jarry, Eller, Hayes etc…the least WPG could do for this exchange is take Jarry lol
Winnipeg has Helle…. Why would they want Jarry?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Winnipeg reportedly wanted a mid first and a quality prospect when McGroarty was first mentioned months ago.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I am just a little surprised we had to give up Yager for a 1 for 1.

One player not signed refusing to play and Yager who just signed his ELC and expected to play another year in Junior.

I'm baffled. We win this short term but in 5 or 10 years I don't know if we really win this trade. Nuts.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the argument to have here is whether it would have been better to dangle the 2025 1st over Yager and have both Yager and McGroaty, but I'm pretty sure that most here would rather trade Yager over the 2025 1st.

They basically traded the 60th ranked prospect in the NHL for the 35th ranked prospect in the NHL. I don't understand how that's anything but a win.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
If we didn't have a million forwards already competing for way to few spots this would have been an ok trade. Sure feels like a loss now only adding to our roster problem since McG will be on an NHL deal while Yager would have gone back to juniors.

Unless we move a player or two without seeeterners this is not a good deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we didn't have a million forwards already competing for way to few spots this would have been an ok trade. Sure feels like a loss now only adding to our roster problem since McG will be on an NHL deal while Yager would have gone back to juniors.

Unless we move a player or two without seeeterners this is not a good deal.

Literally what in the hell are you talking about here :laugh:

Getting a better and more NHL ready prospect is a loss because....they have a lot of NHL forwards now?

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad