Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Rutger McGroarty is a better fit and player right now with his size/play around the crease. I think that Yager’s upside is undervalued by most.

It seems like a knee jerk reaction from Dubas. I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger, but Rutger is a safer bet to be a top-six forward.

Reactions: Andy99

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Don't understand what leverage Winnipeg had to get Yager, seems like a bad deal given that

McGroarty could be the better player so will wait to see

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Don't understand what leverage Winnipeg had to get Yager, seems like a bad deal given that

McGroarty could be the better player so will wait to see

Still had plenty of time left on his rights and he has been very productive in college. Wouldn't have any trouble getting value for him.

But GMKK had hand. Rutger demanded NHL ice time from the Jets. He would refuse AHL assignment.

He wasn't signed so he'd be back in Michigan anyway.

Reactions: hn777

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But GMKK had hand. Rutger demanded NHL ice time from the Jets. He would refuse AHL assignment.

They could have just not traded him. They still had his rights for another 2 years and he’d just play in college.

The only deal that might have worked that wasn’t Yager straight up was a lottery protected 1st.

Reactions: wej20

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Meh. Similar prospects. Rutger is supposedly more NHL ready which should mean nothing to us. I fear this is further proof the organization is delusional thinking we can compete, or not suck, anytime soon.
NHL ready by how long? A year? A 1:1 where the new guy plays one year sooner is somehow delusional?

K.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Very very disappointing…don’t get this at all…we needed to move vets not prospects…wouldn’t have done this deal…get rid of Jarry, Eller, Hayes etc…the least WPG could do for this exchange is take Jarry lol

Reactions: Coastal Kev

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
2 downsides of this deal to me - and I said I would do this deal weeks ago (might need to give myself a bump)

- I think McG has a lower floor because skating. Yager could be nothing bc of size, average/jack of all trades type skillset but probably was gonna play as a decent 4C type at worst because he’s a good skating RH shot centerman. McGroarty might not have dynamic enough skating - and he’s not that big so what is he if he can’t be a top of line up guy?

- McG played C in college but he’s a wing in NHL for sure. Yager had better chance to stick in middle

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Still had plenty of time left on his rights and he has been very productive in college. Wouldn't have any trouble getting value for him.

He wasn't signed so he'd be back in Michigan anyway.
He publicly requested a trade, no way they were hanging onto him

I guess there could have been decent offers ? But I feel like they could have gotten him for less

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
2 downsides of this deal to me - and I said I would do this deal weeks ago (might need to give myself a bump)

- I think McG has a lower floor because skating. Yager could be nothing bc of size, average/jack of all trades type skillset but probably was gonna play as a decent 4C type because he’s a good skating RH shot centerman. McGroarty might not have dynamic enough skating - and he’s not that big so what is he if he can’t be a top of line up guy?

- McG played C in college but he’s a wing in NHL for sure. Yager had better chance to stick in middle
Yes, I like Yager better than this kid because of skating…

Reactions: Coastal Kev

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sure but they could sit on it for over a year and someone is beating Pickering + 2nd rounders or whatever

As much as I think Drysdale stinks a very similar situation and caliber of prospect just netted a team a young top 10 pick RHD playing in the NHL and a second

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He publicly requested a trade, no way they were hanging onto him

I guess there could have been decent offers ? But I feel like they could have gotten him for less

They had his rights for 2 more years. They'd have easily been able to flip him for something.

Reactions: hn777

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Welp... Sullivan better find a role for him that isn't his usual like 7 minutes on L4 with Noel Acciari or this could be a pretty catastrophic trade. Way too many forwards on this roster.

I also think it's funny you guys keep trying to wish Eller off the roster. Not happening.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
NHL ready by how long? A year? A 1:1 where the new guy plays one year sooner is somehow delusional?

K.
Yager is not going to be in the NHL in 2 years.

It is just a weird trade for us unless you think McGroaty is an obviously superior prospect. I think they’re pretty comparable. Yager to me has a higher offensive ceiling but lower floor. Time will tell.

We already have 9 centers on our roster and Rutger isn’t signing unless it’s with a team he thinks he is going to play and start his ELC ticking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad