Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yager being a legit top prospect had me fantasizing about him leading the first line post Sid retirement. It's gonna take me a few to get over that picture I had in my head and get on board with this move, but the logic of the move is sound.

Not sure Yager ever had any evidence after being drafted that he would be a top line player.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I trust Jesse when it comes to prospect stuff so it sounds like this is a good trade for us.

Not sure Yager ever had any evidence after being drafted that he would be a top line player.
As far as I'm aware most people in the know consider Mcgroaty to be a superior prospect to Yager.

I was attached to Yager too given he was by far our best prospect but Mcgroaty is now the same thing and he might be closer to NHL ready as well which matters if you're trying to wring a last bit of relevance out of this core.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Overall, it was a minor opportunity to better the team now and in the future. It gave us a much better 1LW prospect to boot.

There are zero downsides to this trade as is.

Yes, for Winnipeg it was turning lemons into lemonade. Rutger McGroarty has off the charts leadership skills yet messed up and has the absolute worst advisors filling his head with garbage that he had to be guaranteed a top six forward role or he wouldn't sign his contract. Thank you you for taking our lemon off of our hands. It sucks because he sounds like a great prospect, however, Yager, who grew up only 8 hours away is atleast a prospect with high potential. I read he was by far your teams best prospect.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I trust Jesse when it comes to prospect stuff so it sounds like this is a good trade for us.

As far as I'm aware most people in the know consider Mcgroaty to be a superior prospect to Yager.

I was attached to Yager too given he was by far our best prospect but Mcgroaty is now the same thing and he might be closer to NHL ready as well which matters if you're trying to wring a last bit of relevance out of this core.

I think McGroaty potentially has way more trade value for us in a few years than Yager would've had if we try to rebuild.

Yes, for Winnipeg it was turning lemons into lemonade. Rutger McGroarty has off the charts leadership skills yet messed up and has the absolute worst advisors filling his head with garbage that he had to be guaranteed a top six forward role or he wouldn't sign his contract. Thank you you for taking our lemon off of our hands. It sucks because he sounds like a great prospect, however, Yager, who grew up only 8 hours away is atleast a prospect with high potential. I read he was by far your teams best prospect.

Yeah. Yager has solid upside and could potentially make the Penguins pay if he turns out as a 30-30 2C ala Jared McCann.

Something about his game just seems derivative over the last year. I'm curious to see what his junior year looks like without being surrounded by talent.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think McGroaty potentially has way more trade value for us in a few years than Yager would've had if we try to rebuild.
I could also see Mcgroaty being our Dylan Larkin where he gets caught on a shit ass Pens team for 4-5 years but then at the end of it the Pens are coming out of it and Mcgroaty at that point is in his prime and leading the team.

Though if that is indeed how it pans out I hope we have better lottery luck than Detroit did lol

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I will say if there's one thing that I don't love about what I'm hearing with Mcgroaty's game is people saying that he needs to improve his skating.

Bad skating is the number one thing that ruins prospects I feel like. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Overall, it worked out well for both sides. Yager was indeed our best prospect, but that's not saying much.

I do think he'll get his chance with Sid here and I don't think you guys need Yager this year so, again, good for both sides. Impressed that you guys got a guy like Yager for someone who wanted out.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I will say if there's one thing that I don't love about what I'm hearing with Mcgroaty's game is people saying that he needs to improve his skating.

Bad skating is the number one thing that ruins prospects I feel like. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.
He’s been working with pro figure skaters (Barb Underhill) to improve. He’s doing his best, I’d assume, but we’ll see how that pays off in a couple months.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I wonder how much of that was just "I'm American and if you're gonna make me live in WPG for the next 7 years you have to guarantee me a top 6 spot"?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yager was definitely our best prospect though as Sealbound said that isn't saying much as our prospect pool is ass.

But Yager seemed like he was projecting well and he's showing big year to year improvement which you want to see out of a top prospect. I think he will pan out and be a quality NHLer.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Helps Crosby today and makes the Pens suck harder after he retires, can’t be too unhappy.

McGroarty-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Glass-Hayes
Acciari-Eller-Puljujarvi
Puustinen, Ponomarev

It’s still ass but it will be more fun to watch than I had feared.
You forgot Lizotte, Beauvillier, Poulin.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Talk about a completely unexpected trade.

I think it's a net positive, though the Penguins have so little talent in their system that it's a shame to lose Yager as a 1-for-1.

That said, McGroarty could realistically open the season with the Pens, whereas Yager probably needed to have an absolutely phenomenal camp and was more likely headed back to juniors.

Also, I echo what someone else said -- something seemed weird about the Yager/Pens relationship. I wasn't concerned, but he took a really long time to sign his ELC. The fact that Brunicke signed before Yager is just weird.
After the research we get a better player and most likely NHL ready.

McGroarty is also 200 lbs 6 1 v Yager last year at 170 lbs.

So what is the purpose of this trade for us? Is McGroarty a significantly better prospect? Or are we just aiming for a more NHL-ready player who plays a different style?

NHL ready better prospect.

It's like trading a Dollar for a Dollar and 10 cents.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I don't think Poulin makes the team next year.

If I could call the shots, I'd want to see this forward group:

McGroaty-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Glass-Beauvillier
Hayes-Acciari
That's probably the best line-up with what the Pens have currently on the roster.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I was excited about what Yager could become, but what I've seen of RM so far, he seems like the safer prospect. So safer vs upside? Who knows.

I like that we have added guys like Glass and Beauvillier. If we hit it big with either or both, that could change everything with the franchise. But it really is hard to get excited about anything with sully still here, ready to do his sully things.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think Poulin makes the team next year.

If I could call the shots, I'd want to see this forward group:

McGroaty-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Glass-Beauvillier
Hayes-Acciari
That's a ton of pressure on McGroaty but if he shows he's ready for it, sure, why not.

I suspect that if McGroaty actually makes the team he'll be bouncing between the top line and third line depending on which of him and DOC are playing better at the time with Sid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad