Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm really curious to see what kind of role McGroaty is used on the powerplay when he develops more, he has the ideal size and physicality of a net front guy but I don't believe he was used in that kind of role with Michigan.

His powerplay goals here are more lefty Stamkos-like in terms of role.

He seems to be the obvious guy who will be this team's next captain after the current core is done.

I believe he played the top of the circle on the powerplay in Michigan.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
DOC has got the speed over McGroarty I believe. If Sid is wanting that speed, it might be DOC's slot to lose. That said, I think McG is better in every single other facet of the game which might prove to be more valuable. I just hope there is some legitimate line combos in camp and pre-season. Realistically, McG could work just as well with Malkin as Sid. Kunitz, Horny, Bunting all worked out well for Malkin.

You might be right but this will never happen. At least if the Penguins are as absolutely over the moon about Rutger as everyone says they are.

Reactions: SEALBound

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If its at the beginning of the year, I think he's fine. If he can't stick, I can't imagine there's another team with space that would want him on their roster. If it's looking that way, I wouldn't hate trying to work out a trade.
Idc either way, but I’d be shocked to see him not on waivers. I’d think someone that liked him in his DY takes a shot because he put up .75 p/pg in the AHL last year but you’re not incorrect that every team has their own guys they’re fitting in at that time.

Reactions: SEALBound

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If its at the beginning of the year, I think he's fine. If he can't stick, I can't imagine there's another team with space that would want him on their roster. If it's looking that way, I wouldn't hate trying to work out a trade.

I just honestly do not care about Poulin anymore. I don't think he has the footspeed to be an effective NHL winger and he doesn't have any notable traits that stick out at center. I think he's just another "jack of all trades" guy that just doesn't have any notable traits good enough to lock down a NHL spot.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wheeler's most recent top-100 list had McGroaty at 33 and Yager at 58.
OK, and that's a positive I suppose, but with Yager being younger that could in theory even out. I don't hate the deal, I see it as an incremental improvement.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
And where is Yager ranked, give me a list.
I think he was in the top 100. All depends on what list you look at. There’s currently a prospect pole on the main board that has McG at 24 and Yager isn’t on it yet. For what that’s worth.

One of the other posters posted some good rankings on the two. I was more saying he is one the more hyped prospects recently which is why a lot of people know who he is.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean we probably just lied tbh. Which is what WPG should’ve done.

Like kind of a “sure bro you’ll be in our top 9”

when really the meaning is “you’ll start in our top 9 and 2nd PP… who knows if you’ll stick”

It’s also easy sell to him to send him down if he has like 1 assist in 11 games. Unless he’s delusional :laugh:

I think he will stick and be a plus player, 30ish pt guy this year but won’t be shocked if he doesn’t and needs some time in the AHL.

Reactions: tom_servo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wheeler's most recent top-100 list had McGroaty at 33 and Yager at 58.
OK, and that's a positive I suppose, but with Yager being younger that could in theory even out. I don't hate the deal, I see it as an incremental improvement.

As someone said earlier, it's like exchanging $1.00 for $1.10.
Dubas likes physical players, That's probably the deciding component to tall this.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm going to laugh until I cry if Rutger ends up conveniently not being able to beat out like Matt Nieto or similar in camp and the team says something about the experience being good for his development and that he can take those lessons to the AHL with him. Just to REALLY drive the point home to all of us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean we probably just lied tbh. Which is what WPG should’ve done.

Like kind of a “sure bro you’ll be in our top 9”

when really the meaning is “you’ll start in our top 9 and 2nd PP… who knows if you’ll stick”

It’s also easy sell to him to send him down if he has like 1 assist in 11 games. Unless he’s delusional :laugh:

I think he will stick and be a plus player, 30ish pt guy this year but won’t be shocked if he doesn’t and needs some time in the AHL.

They probably just gave him some boilerplate answer on how he'll be able to compete for a roster spot, but I do think he has a profile that Sullivan will instantly be in love with. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Sullivan was one of the big proponents of bringing in McGroarty.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I'm going to laugh until I cry if Rutger ends up conveniently not being able to beat out like Matt Nieto or similar in camp and the team says something about the experience being good for his development and that he can take those lessons to the AHL with him. Just to REALLY drive the point home to all of us.
The hope is Dubas showed some balls and basically told Sullivan that McGroarty is going to be given a legitimate chance to play top six minutes.

I said the hope, not the reality.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
They probably just gave him some boilerplate answer on how he'll be able to compete for a roster spot, but I do think he has a profile that Sullivan will instantly be in love with. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Sullivan was one of the big proponents of bringing in McGroarty.
I’m as positive as I can be that there was no talk of competing for a spot. I’d be absolutely shocked if he’s not in the top 9 on day 1.

however seriously doubt it’s guaranteed past like 5 games if he’s not up to par

Like I said it’s what WPG should’ve done. Tell him what he wants to hear, throw him in, if he’s ready great if not let him fail and then the player has little to no argument as to why they should stay up and in the lineup.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think he was in the top 100. All depends on what list you look at. There’s currently a prospect pole on the main board that has McG at 24 and Yager isn’t on it yet. For what that’s worth.

One of the other posters posted some good rankings on the two. I was more saying he is one the more hyped prospects recently which is why a lot of people know who he is.

Yea McG seems to be top 30 ish and Yager top 50ish.

As someone said earlier, it's like exchanging $1.00 for $1.10.
it was me!
Pretty much.

Reactions: Ryder71

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Nah Dubas earned some respect here.

So many GMs wouldn’t have balls to do this move and would ride out the development of their own 1st rounder/top prospect despite not being in love with the kid behind closed doors. Safer move, doesn’t open yourself up to criticism.

Dude took a gamble because he and his staff simply thought McGroarty is the better prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad