Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Between the two, Simon actually has the best goal scoring season in the AHL. Simon's best year was 25 goals in 68 games, while Puustinen's best year was 24 goals in 72 games.
AHL stats never meant much to me, in terms of projecting what will happen.
There's too many cases of good AHL scoring not carrying over or meh AHL scoring suddenly turning into good NHL scoring outta nowhere.
I just wait for the NHL sample size.
I don't have big expectations from Puustinen but I think he'll be a better point producer than Simon in the end. The bar is low.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean center over LW, ESPECIALLY top six center, and Yager is a finisher with a great shot and mcGroaty is not…skating also favors Yager…so they traded for a slower, less good scorer who’s more physical and plays a less premium position…it doesn’t make sense unless they believe that Yager is not top six material, even if he hasn’t put on the requisite muscle yet…again, seems to come down to the fact that they don’t think Yager will be all that good …I hope they’re right, but it’s the only way to rationalize this trade
I wouldn't say Rutger is a "less good scorer" at all. We don't have many good comparables between the NCAA and WHL. But both went the WJC last year. Yager - 2g in 5gp. McGroarty - 5g in 7gp.

I think you're giving up a tough of skating/speed for added physicality. Which, at the moment, is an overall net win for us. We now have McGroarty, Bunting, DOC, and then the likes of Lizotte, Hayes, Accairi, Puljujarvi, etc helping us with gritty forechecking. We now have three guys not scared to get their noses dirty in front of the net. At the end of the day, I think I take that over adding another smoother-skating guy.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean center over LW, ESPECIALLY top six center, and Yager is a finisher with a great shot and mcGroaty is not…skating also favors Yager…so they traded for a slower, less good scorer who’s more physical and plays a less premium position…it doesn’t make sense unless they believe that Yager is not top six material, even if he hasn’t put on the requisite muscle yet…again, seems to come down to the fact that they don’t think Yager will be all that good …I hope they’re right, but it’s the only way to rationalize this trade
Very good post!

I agree with your premise, Center is undoubtedly the premium position. And Skating is important as well. McGroaty is likely more NHL ready and could garner top six minutes sooner. I'd say McGroaty's offensive acumen is superior to Yagers, but all around play likely goes to Yager. I always prefer Centers to wingers all things being equal.

For me it's a slight upgrade, but I would have been fine to not do this deal.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
From everything I've read about McGroaty, he seems to be a perfect fit with Crosby. I think what I'd actually advocate for is O'Connor-Crosby-McGroaty and Bunting-Malkin-Rust in the top-6, but I think we all know it will be McGroaty-Crosby-Rust and Bunting-Malkin-Rakell.

I think the best lineup they could go with right now is:

McGroaty-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Glass-Beauvillier
Hayes-Acciari
Then we aren’t going to see the best possible lineup because no way is Hayes getting scratched

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Looking at his highlights he plays a pro game but his skating is kinda shit. If he can improve it he could make a decent enough impact in the NHL right off the bat with how he plays and thinks. If he can't.. idk, might be quite the adjustment.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Puus has a much better shot in basically all categories over Simon. The problem to me is at least at the NHL level he doesn't quite have the skating/IQ to be in the best spots to use it. Plus he's a little slow getting it off IMO.
He will start to shoot more and more dangerously when he grows in confidence at this level.
A good start would be to give him PP1 left wall and let him tee off. If he learns to get aggressive with it on the PP, that'll carry over to 5v5.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly it would make some sense to have Sid's line play with pace and put McG on Malkin's line to play a more measured game that doesn't require top tier skating since he's not going to be breaking any speed records anytime soon, anyway. A playmaking wing that goes hard to the net and plays a more physical game actually profiles well to Malkin's game both in the past and present.

But we're about as likely to get eaten by a shark being ridden around by a unicorn while simultaneously getting struck by lightening. So...

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I don't care about that, I care about accruing picks and prospects to help further the long term viability of the team.
The kid is only 20. Same difference except he's ready to ball now. If we ever get that franchise altering pick(s), he can be moved for picks or prospects that fit that cornerstone's time-line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly it would make some sense to have Sid's line play with pace and put McG on Malkin's line to play a more measured game that doesn't require top tier skating since he's not going to be breaking any speed records anytime soon, anyway. A playmaking wing that goes hard to the net and plays a more physical game actually profiles well to Malkin's game both in the past and present.

But we're about as likely to get eaten by a shark being ridden around by a unicorn while simultaneously getting struck by lightening. So...
I hope Dubas consulted with Sullivan about usage for McGroarty before making the deal. Because if Dubas is envisioning adding a young top six player to play with either Sid or Geno and Sullivan is envisioning his usual "he can learn to PK/play like ZAR in the bottom six first", then we have problems.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Very good post!

I agree with your premise, Center is undoubtedly the premium position. And Skating is important as well. McGroaty is likely more NHL ready and could garner top six minutes sooner. I'd say McGroaty's offensive acumen is superior to Yagers, but all around play likely goes to Yager. I always prefer Centers to wingers all things being equal.

For me it's a slight upgrade, but I would have been fine to not do this deal.
McGroaty plays both wing and center. Yager has primarily been a center but it's not uncommon for guy to convert to wing when coming in.

So what makes Yager any more likely or not to be a center in say 5 years compared to McGroarty?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The kid is only 20. Same difference except he's ready to ball now. If we ever get that franchise altering pick(s), he can be moved for picks or prospects that fit that cornerstone's time-line.
He doesn't need to be moved, he can be a piece for the future. However being strong at Center is far more important than being good now at Wing to play with Sid. To me the current team needs to lose. That's my point. RM will be a nice piece for the future. But now we don't have any high end Centers in the system.

McGroaty plays both wing and center. Yager has primarily been a center but it's not uncommon for guy to convert to wing when coming in.

So what makes Yager any more likely or not to be a center in say 5 years compared to McGroarty?
I Thought RM was primarily a winger.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hope Dubas consulted with Sullivan about usage for McGroarty before making the deal. Because if Dubas is envisioning adding a young top six player to play with either Sid or Geno and Sullivan is envisioning his usual "he can learn to PK/play like ZAR in the bottom six first", then we have problems.

Well everyone seems to think he's a "Sullivan player" so... get excited?

I think?

Wait that's not good.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He doesn't need to be moved, he can be a piece for the future. However being strong at Center is far more important than being good now at Wing to play with Sid. To me the current team needs to lose. That's my point. RM will be a nice piece for the future. But now we don't have any high end Centers in the system.

I Thought RM was primarily a winger.
He's played both. He's listed as LW/C by EP and nearly everywhere else.

Officially signed. He's not going to back to college.

Someone is going to see those arms and insist he's needs to pack on 20lbs of raw, lean muscle in the next year in order to make it in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well everyone seems to think he's a "Sullivan player" so... get excited?

I think?

Wait that's not good.
That's ... interesting. Not really sure what that's based on, considering he's a skilled guy who (as far as I know) isn't a whizz defensively. If anything, we probably gave up the "better" defensive player of the two (at this stage of their careers).

From the sounds of it, he's similar to a JVR. I don't know if prime JVR would be considered a Sullivan player.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
That's ... interesting. Not really sure what that's based on, considering he's a skilled guy who (as far as I know) isn't a whizz defensively. If anything, we probably gave up the "better" defensive player of the two (at this stage of their careers).

From the sounds of it, he's similar to a JVR. I don't know if prime JVR would be considered a Sullivan player.
To be fair, a prime Jeff Carter wouldn't have been a Sullivan player.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I honestly know next to nothing about him outside of the usual hype the last year-ish. I just have to figure that Dubas cleared this with his boss before he pulled the trigger so that bodes well for McG. But I mean... yeah... as it stands there is a pretty significant logjam at forward so we'll see I guess.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

He's way more physical than JVR. He's comparable to JVR like Hornqvist is comparable to JVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad