Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I honestly know next to nothing about him outside of the usual hype the last year-ish. I just have to figure that Dubas cleared this with his boss before he pulled the trigger so that bodes well for McG. But I mean... yeah... as it stands there is a pretty significant logjam at forward so we'll see I guess.
The one positive he has going for him is he's an American kid who played in the NCAA.

He's way more physical than JVR. He's comparable to JVR like Hornqvist is comparable to JVR.
I meant more in terms of offensive game and not necessarily a defensive gem. McGroarty projects to being much better/creative with the puck on his stick than Hornqvist, hence the JVR comparison.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
EP? Eliteprospects.com

@Ryder71

Actaully, the boys on the Jets board say he's primarily a wing and that's what he would have played there so we can scratch the center talk I guess and I'll graciously accept defeat.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
@Ryder71

Actaully, the boys on the Jets board say he's primarily a wing and that's what he would have played there so we can scratch the center talk I guess and I'll graciously accept defeat.
That's what I thought. You got a winger for a center. That being the case, he'd have to be a decidedly better winger than Yager at Center. All being equal or pert near, you favor the center.

Reactions: farscape1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's ... interesting. Not really sure what that's based on, considering he's a skilled guy who (as far as I know) isn't a whizz defensively. If anything, we probably gave up the "better" defensive player of the two (at this stage of their careers).

From the sounds of it, he's similar to a JVR. I don't know if prime JVR would be considered a Sullivan player.

I don't see the JVR comparison at all, JVR was big but was soft as shit and terrible defensively. That doesn't really describe McGroarty from what I can tell.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't see the JVR comparison at all, JVR was big but was soft as shit and terrible defensively. That doesn't really describe McGroarty from what I can tell.
I clarified that I was talking about their offensive games (ie. good hands in tight, like to play around the net). Not sure McGroarty is considered good defensively either. I think calling JVR terrible defensively is a bit of a stretch. At his best he was probably average/slightly below average. He wasn't Daniel Sprong.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I clarified that I was talking about their offensive games (ie. good hands in tight, like to play around the net). Not sure McGroarty is considered good defensively either. I think calling JVR terrible defensively is a bit of a stretch. At his best he was probably average/slightly below average. He wasn't Daniel Sprong.

I don't think that really describes McGroarty either.

He's a very well rounded player that has talent and plays a high effort/high compete game from what I've read.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets fan dropping by.

Last year at this time our board rated him as our #1 prospect in our annual pole. He was very outgoing and friendly at our prospects camp and was thought of as future captain material.

I wanted him because we think he is a power forward that is going to be hard to play against and our top 6 is a tad soft. For some reason he ghosted us this spring and decided “it just didn’t feel right”. Ok Cutter Gautier?? We could really use a skilled power forward but the least of our needs is a Left winger (Ehlers and Connor). We are desperate for a top 6 centre so if Brendan can fill a 2nd line centre role one day then this is a good day for us too.

I expect McGroarty to fit in and contribute this season for the Pens.

Good luck

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I don't think that really describes McGroarty either.

He's a very well rounded player that has talent and plays a high effort/high compete game from what I've read.
McGroarty definitely likes playing around the net, though not only around the net the way that JVR did.

Jets fan dropping by.

Last year at this time our board rated him as our #1 prospect in our annual pole. He was very outgoing and friendly at our prospects camp and was thought of as future captain material.

I wanted him because we think he is a power forward that is going to be hard to play against and our top 6 is a tad soft. For some reason he ghosted us this spring and decided “it just didn’t feel right”. Ok Cutter Gautier?? We could really use a skilled power forward but the least of our needs is a Left winger (Ehlers and Connor). We are desperate for a top 6 centre so if Brendan can fill a 2nd line centre role one day then this is a good day for us too.

I expect McGroarty to fit in and contribute this season for the Pens.

Good luck
Thank you. I also think this is a win-win deal.
See you Oct. 20th!

Reactions: ps241

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McGroarty definitely likes playing around the net, though not only around the net the way that JVR did.

Yeah that's a good way to put it, I was more making the point that I don't think the JVR comparison really fits McGroarty well. It's not that they're completely dissimilar (both are bigger skilled guys with mediocre skating) but I don't think I've ever read JVR described as a high energy/compete type of guy that I've read about McGroarty.

I always thought the big knock against JVR was that he didn't use his size nearly well enough and was a soft and lazy player. Very similar to Neal in that.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m a big fan of this deal. He has to be top 6 bound, right? Makes the lineup look much better if so. Hopefully he has a strong camp and earns it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

McGroarty is like Yager. An all situational guy.

I would say a comp for him would be like Blake Coleman but I think he has more offensive IQ.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yager has largely played wing internationally and played wing in Moose Jaw at times too.
He's a center, don't be obtuse. Occasionally playing wing on a stacked international team doesn't equate to him being a winger.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm stoked they got McGroarty, but a little bummed they couldn't figure out a way to keep Yager.

Think McGroarty's better than Yager though. Hopefully that ends up being the case in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad