Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a ton of pressure on McGroaty but if he shows he's ready for it, sure, why not.

I suspect that if McGroaty actually makes the team he'll be bouncing between the top line and third line depending on which of him and DOC are playing better at the time with Sid.

In this setup, I think O'Connor starts the year on L1 and McGroaty eventually ends up getting promoted to L1. I'd start with O'Connor and McGroaty flipped but plan on McGroaty taking over on L1 eventually.

Not only does that ease the pressure on McGroaty, but it also helps inflate O'Connor's value by playing him with Crosby. He's a UFA after next year so they may have to explore trading him as a rental, and pumping his value by playing him with Crosby for half a year seems to be a good way to do that.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
In this setup, I think O'Connor starts the year on L1 and McGroaty eventually ends up getting promoted to L1. I'd start with O'Connor and McGroaty flipped but plan on McGroaty taking over on L1 eventually.

Not only does that ease the pressure on McGroaty, but it also helps inflate O'Connor's value by playing him with Crosby. He's a UFA after next year so they may have to explore trading him as a rental, and pumping his value by playing him with Crosby for half a year seems to be a good way to do that.
Either way if Mcgroaty is actually able to snag a spot that'd be a big win for the roster. Some badly needed young legs to generate some excitement around the team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who the hell is this kid? Nobody knows! What is goin on! Sounds like a made up name!

His name is Rutger, I like that he's embracing the villain in him.
That can't be a real name.

Something seems very ''fishy'' about this?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
ChatGPT folks all you need to know.

McGroarty is considered a better NHL prospect than Brayden Yager for several compelling reasons:

1. **Physical Presence**: McGroarty possesses a superior combination of size and strength. His physical attributes make him a more impactful player in high-traffic areas, enhancing his ability to win battles along the boards and in front of the net.

2. **Two-Way Game**: McGroarty excels in both offensive and defensive aspects of the game. His robust defensive skills and ability to contribute in all zones make him a more complete player compared to Yager, who is more offensively focused.

3. **Consistency and Performance**: McGroarty has demonstrated consistent high-level performance in junior leagues and international competitions, showcasing his ability to perform under various conditions and against top competition.

4. **Scouting Reports**: NHL scouts highlight McGroarty's strong work ethic, leadership qualities, and physical style of play, all of which are highly valued traits that give him an edge over Yager.

These attributes make McGroarty a more well-rounded and immediately impactful prospect, positioning him as a stronger candidate for NHL success.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm really curious to see what kind of role McGroaty is used on the powerplay when he develops more, he has the ideal size and physicality of a net front guy but I don't believe he was used in that kind of role with Michigan.

His powerplay goals here are more lefty Stamkos-like in terms of role.

He was captain of the USA WJC team. If you follow prospects everyone knows who he is.

He seems to be the obvious guy who will be this team's next captain after the current core is done.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He was captain of the USA WJC team. If you follow prospects everyone knows who he is.
I generally do follow prospects, not Winnipeg jets prospects however. Why would I bother to look up a curtain jerker prospect in the Winnipeg Jets system in the middle of summer?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

If McGroarty gets time with Sid in preseason (and I assume he will) if Sid likes him and he can handle L1 I’m sure he’ll be there. Sid is pretty persuasive when it comes to linemates.

Won’t get the full first line minutes but can be there and DOC can make up the difference.

Bunting-Malkin-McGroarty is intriguing also. Couple of physical players to go to the dirty areas and Malkin can hang back and take advantage.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I'm really curious to see what kind of role McGroaty is used on the powerplay when he develops more, he has the ideal size and physicality of a net front guy but I don't believe he was used in that kind of role with Michigan.

He seems to be the obvious guy who will be this team's next captain after the current core is done.

Damn, that Michigan team was loaded.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not gonna judge this trade for a few years. I haven't studied prospects too much the last 2 years.
But I'll say this:
I love seeing the ambition again from management, and I have a good feeling about this one. Dubas is getting pretty apt at leveraging his stronger position in recent trades.
McGroarty wanted out, and he swooped in.
Neither of these guys would have been here during years we win Cups in, but the hope is this American develops his value to the point where he'd get a good return later on.

Also handsome af btw. Will be good for marketing.

I don't want Spezza to be the GM during the rebuild. I want Dubas to handle all of it, like now. I trust him with farm building 100%.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
DoC is on L1 until he either turns into a pumpkin or another player (McGroaty) explodes and is an obviously better fit. Personally I love DoC's game. Sure he's not an elite finisher but his speed and tenacity are second to none on this team. He also thinks the game at a level that he can skate with Sid and we all know that's not always the case with wingers we get. But hey it's good to have options.

Depending on how things shake out maybe we could have a 3rd line that is actually effective...

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I look forward to Sullivan playing him 8 minutes a night on L4 with Hayes. If that's the case let him start in WBS and play top minutes, PP, everything until he can get a top 6 spot with the big club. He should be on the top PP with the Pens, but of course Rust will be the new fixture there and it will be another year of the perimeter PP.

One of him, Bunting or Rakell should be on all of our PP units, but we all know that's never happening.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I look forward to Sullivan playing him 8 minutes a night on L4 with Hayes. If that's the case let him start in WBS and play top minutes, PP, everything until he can get a top 6 spot with the big club. He should be on the top PP with the Pens, but of course Rust will be the new fixture there and it will be another year of the perimeter PP.

One of him, Bunting or Rakell should be on all of our PP units, but we all know that's never happening.

If Sullivan would be using him like that, he wouldn't have signed here.

The fact that McGroarty signed makes me really confident that he'll at least be in their top-9 to start the year.

Reactions: Dominance

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
DOC has got the speed over McGroarty I believe. If Sid is wanting that speed, it might be DOC's slot to lose. That said, I think McG is better in every single other facet of the game which might prove to be more valuable. I just hope there is some legitimate line combos in camp and pre-season. Realistically, McG could work just as well with Malkin as Sid. Kunitz, Horny, Bunting all worked out well for Malkin.

I think Rakell has to go. I would do Rust as well, but Sid might go to a darkness retreat if that happened.
I don't think we can afford to let him go unless there's another younger guy that clearly usurps his spot on the roster. I mean, who replaces him? DOC? Puustinen? Lizotte? We don't have a solid 2RW at the moment outside of Rakell. If we want to talk about switching Rust and Raks, that's fine but we still need two legit top 6 RWs.
Poulin is getting waived and claimed elsewhere unless he blows us away in camp which I doubt he does. Hope I’m wrong but idc really.
If its at the beginning of the year, I think he's fine. If he can't stick, I can't imagine there's another team with space that would want him on their roster. If it's looking that way, I wouldn't hate trying to work out a trade.

IMHO, a rover in the slot that can push down low to the net when they get a shot would be ideal. Something like a Jake+Bunting combo. Two things that the PP is missing - net front and a lethal shot. McG might have both.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I generally do follow prospects, not Winnipeg jets prospects however. Why would I bother to look up a curtain jerker prospect in the Winnipeg Jets system in the middle of summer?
There’s been a lot of noise about him since he requested the trade. He’s a top 40-50 prospect in the league.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad