Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Adding draft picks by taking players for free, while burying prospects deeper down the depth chart, does not seem to make much sense to me. But hey...at least this Glass has some talent.
That's 100% the right move for a team that's beginning the rebuild.

Our prospects don't matter for shit, and we're gonna be worse before we get better.

Take on mercenaries and hoard picks until it's time for the upswing after Crosby/Malkin retire.

I like the move.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Nieto is hurt, Bemstrom and Puljujarvi are likely WBS bound (especially Bemstrom) and I'd be surprised if Eller or Acciari weren't traded before the season started.

The worst case scenario is that their forward group is something like:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beavuillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari
Glass-Puljujarvi

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
iu

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nieto is hurt, Bemstrom and Puljujarvi are likely WBS bound (especially Bemstrom) and I'd be surprised if Eller or Acciari weren't traded before the season started.

The worst case scenario is that their forward group is something like:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beavuillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari
Glass-Puljujarvi
That 4th line is 7.421 against the cap.

Unacceptable.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Good god, the reactions here about acquiring Hayes and Glass, aka cap dumps, are hysterical. Nothing burger deals made to help other teams.

Sid needs to run. Dude cant see the last two years and think to himself he wants to be a part of this **** show.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That 4th line is 7.421 against the cap.

Unacceptable.

Okay? This team is rebuilding. Who gives a shit how they're allocating their cap?

They just got paid a 2nd and 2 3rds to take on $6.5 million in bad money between Hayes and Glass. Why act surprised when those bad players then cost a lot of money for the Penguins in a depth role?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
They have been doing this for years.

2021/22: ZAR 1.730, Blueger 2.2 - McGinn 2.750 <---- 6.68

This has nothing to do with rebuilding.
It has everything to do with rebuilding. This isn't a free agent coming to fill a hole in the lineup. It was a cap sacrifice in exchange for helping replenish the farm.
Same thing with Hayes. It couldn't be more clear.

Dubas has committed to the future. Ownership has not. So he needs to pretend to play their game while he does what needs doing.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
What do you mean? That 4th line has nothing to do with any picks.
It does, because they’re taking on bad contracts on their 4th line in exchange for future picks.

What ZAR got paid has nothing to do with what Dubas is doing now. That was different management.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
What do you mean? That 4th line has nothing to do with any picks.
What do you not get here? They are placeholders.
They are only here because picks came with them.

Dubas is exploiting the desperation of other GMs, picking up any picks he can, as he should.

f*** the 4th line. It's irrelevant. Even if it's good the Pens are f***ing toast. Let it go.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It does, because they’re taking on bad contracts on their 4th line in exchange for future picks.

What ZAR got paid has nothing to do with what Dubas is doing now. That was different management.
Not one of those players brought back picks with them.

Anything to scapegoat what they are doing. As far as I know, you are not rebuilding with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders.

You can call it what you want, but that's not rebuilding.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Anything to scapegoat what they are doing. As far as I know, you are not rebuilding with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Penguins fans have a completely screwed up idea of what an actual NHL rebuild looks like because the Penguins lucked their way into Crosby and Malkin the last time they were rebuilding. What they're doing right now is 100% a rebuild.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It was also a totally different landscape back then. It's been two decades. A 2003 game doesn't look like a 2023 game.

We are going to see some new things this time around.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

Emotions are obviously speaking louder than logic, here. Dubas used cap space to acquire draft picks that this team needs to rebuild its prospect pool, which is bottom 5 in the league. No, you aren’t going to hit on every 2nd and 3rd round pick, but the more you have, the likelier you are to get a hit. The Pens traded away NOTHING and got a couple picks and a warm body. This is a fine deal for them.

Reactions: Headshot77

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

2nds and 3rds are also parts of creating contenders, not just 1sts. It's a process. We used those guys to win Cups.
Remember Jake's 13 goals in 2017 at league minimum? Murray's .923 and .937 in the back to back?
Letang's performance in 2016? Rust saving our asses vs Tampa?

It's a team sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad