Post-Game Talk: Pens/Stars - Grinding em down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Kapanen looked great out there. Can we please get this version of KK for the rest of his contract?
Yeah, this is the most frustrating thing with Finnish GQ. He's got the tools and he can put them together for stretches, just that when he's off, he looks brain damaged.

Jarry is quite good at the thing.
Same with Jarry, when he's on, he's on. When he's not (or the blueline collapses) he looks bad. But that's pretty much all goalies, IMO

Reactions: Andy99

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Good to see the Pens winning these tight checking games. Rutta with the play to box out Robertson was the type of play we've been missing in the playoffs the past few years.

I just love our commitment to defending right now. When we do that, we can win in bunches, because our offense is good enough to find goals.

We defend, the goals will come.
In the past 12 games the Pens have allowed only 23 goals against (10-1-1). Very impressive.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Pleasantly surprised that we won tonight. I thought the third game in four days might have been too much, but it wasn't.

On an semi-related note, the Devils began a stretch of six games in nine days last night. Their stretch won't be nearly as difficult as ours was, but it will still be interesting to see how well they do.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Pleasantly surprised that we won tonight. I thought the third game in four days might have been too much, but it wasn't.

On an semi-related note, the Devils began a stretch of six games in nine days last night. Their stretch won't be nearly as difficult as ours was, but it will still be interesting to see how well they do.
They do have the GOAT stretch passer, apparently, so I'm sure they'll beat all of the records.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This is a perfect game showing this is still a good team, and four consecutive playoff first round losses is unacceptable.

We shouldn’t hold them to such low standards because our coach lost his way for a bit this season and our GM is a clown.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

reino

Jul 20, 2019
If Jarry plays like this and they are somewhat healthy I bet they will win couple PO's rounds this year.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Exciting game despite the low scoring and the few high danger chances (a grand total of 10 for both teams with zero on the PP somehow). I was really apprehensive at the end with all the failed clears and losing the puck too easily but all is well when it ends well. Great to see Geno get the monkey off his back in such a clutch fashion. It's nice luxury to have the second line buzzing all game when the opponent largely neutralizes your best line. You can sense that Geno was feeling it, his defense was great too and deserves this bit of luck in the end.
Letang was pretty good for someone that the board doctors insist should have retired. :) Rutta is a steal. Zucker's screen on POJ goal is an Example A why the first unit needs someone bigger than Guentzel to do that but it did pass well even without Petry.

Reactions: Andy99 and vodeni

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah, the game was a bit boring. But it was the first Penguins/hockey game my girlfriend went to and we enjoyed ourselves. She got really into it at the end of the game.

Pretty decent tickets in the lower bowl but way too much money for them. That's what I get for letting our other friend select them.

There was a decent amount of Stars fans in attendance.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Much to the dismay of many...Jarry is our best option going forward.

He's also going to command a decent raise. I just want him signed for under 6M if possible. I like him a ton but dislike high paid goalies as the position is jekyll and hyde
I'd see if you can get him to sign a sweetheart deal because the team let him work through the meltdowns and doubt, etc. But for the love of god Montressor, don't give him any NTC/NMC.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'd see if you can get him to sign a sweetheart deal because the team let him work through the meltdowns and doubt, etc. But for the love of god Montressor, don't give him any NTC/NMC.
I doubt his agent will allow that. This is his chance to get money contract...

They'll be pushing for 7M is my guess. I can see them agreeing on like 5yr/6.5M. If it's going to be that high I agree, no clauses.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I doubt his agent will allow that. This is his chance to get money contract...

They'll be pushing for 7M is my guess. I can see them agreeing on like 5yr/6.5M. If it's going to be that high I agree, no clauses.

I feel like some clauses are a given for the first few seasons. But yeah, please no "full" clauses.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I feel like some clauses are a given for the first few seasons. But yeah, please no "full" clauses.
I don't see a way for us to sign him under 6M if he finishes the year as a top 10 performer again. His agent has enough to leverage regardless of some of our fans arguments about lack of playoff health/success.

I'm fine with a limited clause for the first 3 years or whatever...like it or not he's the guy. His agent knows we have no other options for a workhorse goalie to trust carrying us through a regular season when needed. Jarry is providing that now going on 2 seasons.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Would have liked to seen POJ play more than 13 minutes. Hopefully he’ll get more time moving forward.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Among goalies who have started at least half of their team's games, Jarry's .920 save percentage is 4th in the league behind only Sorokin at .925, Hellebuyck at .930, and Ullmark at .941(!!) He has been one of the best goalies in the league over the last few seasons and barring an unlikely collapse, I would bet he gets at least 5.5 mil for 5 years on his next contract, probably more.

Side note - he's only played 10 games this year, but Matt Murray is rocking a .926 save percentage so far. Good for him! I hope he can keep it together and succeed in Toronto after all his recent struggles.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The last 3 minutes were really hard to watch up until Geno's goal, 2 or 3 different times it looked like Letang just wanted to give them the game with his terrible decision making and soft dumps

If Jarry plays like this and they are somewhat healthy I bet they will win couple PO's rounds this year.
Imagine Jarry's numbers had he not have a tough start to the season!!! Crazy when you think about it.
He keeps this up he is pretty much getting Zucker's money....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Truthfully we held on for dear life against the Sabres. And they're not nearly as talented as the devils and Rangers. Or even Carolina. Those teams have far more formidable lineups. Don't get me wrong the Sabres have mad skill on the blue line but they aren'texactly an elite team. The devils, canes, and Rangers have the potential of being elite. So obviously there's a big uptick in talent that we'll be soon facing. And then the one game we played the canes I think they handled us rather well. It went overtime but they had the better of the play.

We out scoring chanced the Sabres in both games.

In the last 3 games we’ve done a complete defensive number on two of the best forwards in the league right now.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I went to look up the last time we lost in regulation with Jarry in net. Nov. 5th against Seattle. Over a month ago. Our two regulation losses since then were against the Leafs, and both had DeSmith in net.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad