Post-Game Talk: Pens/Stars - Grinding em down

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sometimes coaches tend to over think things and try to big brain their way to wins. Sometimes they just need to follow the KISS principal. It doesn't always have to be 3D Chess, sometimes checkers gets the job done.

In the end it's a pretty simple game. Chaotic sure but also pretty simple.

I have no clue what it’s like to be an elite athlete… or an elite anything, really, but I do wonder if he had mentally checked out of Pit, assumed he’d be making bank elsewhere, coasting through life, and he’s still trying to get back into the right mind set

Could be. Like you said I can't pretend to know. But I tend to side with Gurgs on this one. I think dude is just trying to do too much and feels pressure being put in these plum spots to perform. I think in the end Rust sees himself as just a good soldier.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well... putting them on different units doesn't really help that does it?

I don't see the problem as Malkin and Crosby being over-enamored passing to each other. If they are over-passing now they will overpass on their separate, now-crappier units as well.

Actually, it does, unless you like the pass, pass, pass, pass some more, shot....

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Actually, it does, unless you like the pass, pass, pass, pass some more, shot....

Crosby and geno aren't the issues. The issue is other players not playing their role. Jake over passing and not getting in front of the net. Rakell needs to establish himself as a threat to shoot. Rust wasn't. Letang isnt shooting either, so he is no threat.

If the other players played their roles Crosby and Geno wouldn't have a problem. Guys like kessel, Neal, Horny and even Kunitz all played to their specific roles. Put Zucker out their over Jake and honestly POJ over Letang and I bet you have a more successful unit.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Crosby and geno aren't the issues. The issue is other players not playing their role. Jake over passing and not getting in front of the net. Rakell needs to establish himself as a threat to shoot. Rust wasn't. Letang isnt shooting either, so he is no threat.

If the other players played their roles Crosby and Geno wouldn't have a problem. Guys like kessel, Neal, Horny and even Kunitz all played to their specific roles. Put Zucker out their over Jake and honestly POJ over Letang and I bet you have a more successful unit.
Usually they're not the main issue, yes. Yesterday however I would say Sid was the worst PP1'er. His passing was dreadful.
Everyone slammed Letang as a reflex for PP failure but 87 was tanking it.
And honestly this is some of the worst PP work we've seen from Sid in his career this year, Rust and Letang notwithstanding.
Fortunately he's been the destroyer of worlds at even-strength.

I am hoping that Rakell will help stabilize things for our core guys long term with improved focus, urgency, and smarter puck management.

Sid will produce on the unit if it gets traction with its zone entries and movement. That's been so intermittent this year that they can't establish any kind of confidence.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't agree, Those two are your best goal scorers, period, then the other guys come in to pickup the rest feeding off of them. It's simple math, they need to be more greedy, and if they are shooting upwards of 250 to 300 shots a season they are 40/50 goal scorers.

The other players are not the ones forcing them to pass in prime goal scoring position. Sid and Geno can't be decoys all the time. Passing to players who don't score or don't have a reputation of scoring should not be diverted as the shooter. I mean, slam dunks sure, but how many of those were missed opportunities?

Now, this is getting stretched into 5 on 5 play when we're talking the PP. Even then, guys get chances now and then on PP1.

It all starts with those two, and they are on the top PP every single time. They do the same things all the time. They trade spaces and await another pass. How about a give and go once in awhile breaking to the slot and shoot. How often do you see them go to the middle? They are stale stuck in the same old routines.

How many telegraphed picked off passes. There's literally hundreds to choose from.

Their routine is right circle, goal line to side of the net and in Geno's case, right point. Everything they do is perimeter work. Heck, that's the teams motto or their scouting card to other teams. Teams will give them that all day. You'd think players with that high of hockey IQ would understand this. The art of getting lost in a PK units view.

That's not to say other players haven't messed up, too, but they are also not world class generational talents, either. You expect flaws to a higher degree from them. Who's supposed to make whom better or look better?

Simpler words couldn't have been said by, Mario, go to the net and I will put the puck on your stick. So the others are a part of it, but that part shouldn't exclude Sid and Geno going to the net, only one player can have the puck at any given time. They choose not to do it enough and stick to their routine. Win opposition.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We out scoring chanced the Sabres in both games.

In the last 3 games we’ve done a complete defensive number on two of the best forwards in the league right now.
I'll be curious to see how we do against the canes, devils and Rangers because those undoubtedly are the teams will have to go through in the playoffs. And honestly I don't think we match up well with any of those teams.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'll be curious to see how we do against the canes, devils and Rangers because those undoubtedly are the teams will have to go through in the playoffs. And honestly I don't think we match up well with any of those teams.
Well almost everyone struggles vs the Devils this year.
The Canes are tough, but we've played them already. High danger chances were 17-12 Pens, but we lost in OT.
The Rangers have the 20th ranked offense and 9th defense. If we can shut down the #1 ranked offense in Buffalo like that back to back, we are fully capable of handling their attack.

These games are never gonna be easy but the team's defending admirably right now, so their fans are probably thinking how tough it will be against us.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m curious to but in season games mean nothing
I wouldn't say they don't mean anything, come postseason I think you can take something out of those games. I just don't think we can keep up with these younger fresher teams. And the difference between these teams and a buffalo is that they are pretty strong down the middle of the ice. Or at least much stronger down the middle of the ice than Buffalo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wouldn't say they don't mean anything, come postseason I think you can take something out of those games. I just don't think we can keep up with these younger fresher teams. And the difference between these teams and a buffalo is that they are pretty strong down the middle of the ice. Or at least much stronger down the middle of the ice than Buffalo.

The Rangers and Canes are strong down the ice with young players? Lol

Canes have arguably the worst center depth in the East in terms of contenders.

I take Thompson and Cozens over NYR and Carolina’s top two centers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Rangers and Canes are strong down the ice with young players? Lol

Canes have arguably the worst center depth in the East in terms of contenders.
My apologies and you are correct, I should have said up front meaning forwards. They have a lot of young speedy forwards.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad