Post-Game Talk: Pens Sens. That’s how we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sam Lafferty and ZAR have scored more for the Leafs than they ever did for the Pens, same with McCann…Kap, Blue performing admirably…it’s an indictment of Mike Sullivan but does no one in the Pens organization see this? He does not put players in best position to utilize their skills

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Rutta was fine, but I would call the Rutta and Petry moves lateral moves at best. I don't think we're any better off than we were with Matheson and Marino. We're not worse off, but we're not better. To add onto that, Petry is old as f*** and that deal might look worse by the year as he gets older. He ain't getting any better than he is now. And he might get worse.

McGinn was a bad signing. He wasn't anything special in Carolina and he was even worse here. Kapanen sucks and has had the same warts everywhere he's gone.

Archibald has been good.

Heinen was actually a good signing. 1 million for what he brought last year...I've got no reason to second guess that one. It hasn't worked out, but it was a fine gamble for that cheap.

Rakell was great, agreed.

Rust has been bad, but I didn't hate the signing. Ditto Letang.

Granlund has been a terrible move. It looked bad on paper, and it's worked out poorly on the ice.

Carter has been bad. In fairness, I defended the signing at the time. But it's not my judgement that's in question here.

Keeping Dumo when everyone knew he was done last year, bad.

Trying to move (and thankfully failing to move) Marcus Pettersson...bad.

Do I agree that player usage has been bad as well? Absolutely. Sully deserves to go right along with Hextall.

I don't think Hextall has been a complete and utter disaster but he's just swung and missed on so many deals. When you add it all up, the only overwhelmingly good moves he's made are signing Malkin (which he almost f***ed up), and trading for and signing Rakell. Everything else is at best a middling move and at worst an outright bad one.
You got half way there and then let the popular opinion by the haters take over.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sam Lafferty and ZAR have scored more for the Leafs than they ever did for the Pens, same with McCann…Kap, Blue performing admirably…it’s an indictment of Mike Sullivan but does no one in the Pens organization see this? He does not put players in best position to utilize their skills

Look at Sprong and Matheson as well. And Marino is one of New Jersey's most reliable defenseman.

But "hurr durr Hextall ruined this team!!!"

Nah, Sullivan has ruined multiple players that have been brought in to help and he's consistently shit all over them for his own favourites.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Look at Sprong and Matheson as well. And Marino is one of New Jersey's most reliable defenseman.

Nah, Sullivan has ruined multiple players that have been brought in to help and he's consistently shit all over them for his own favourites.
Sprong has like 17 goals in Seattle and played better with the Caps than he did here….Tanev has 14 goals with Seattle…they both scored tonight

Panthers giving us a chance by losing in Philly. Dam the islanders don't want to go away

we going to hand it right back to the Cats lol… no chance in hell against the Avs

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sprong has like 17 goals in Seattle and played better with the Caps than he did here….Tanev has 14 goals with Seattle…they both scored tonight
Sprong assisted on Tanev's goal and then scored their second goal.

But you know what, f*** Sprong. How dare he not learn how to score on the Pens 4th line.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Marino and Matheson both played very well for Sullivan and he actually used them in a 2nd pair role, playing over 20 minutes per game. There was no reason to gift Marino to our division rival for nothing and give away Matheson for a similar but much older and more expensive player. I would argue that Matheson is better than Petry now. Not even talking about next seasons. He is playing extremely well and he already did for Sullivan too. Hexy is a murder. Sullivan is assisting him, but Hexy is doing all the dirty work.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
You got half way there and then let the popular opinion by the haters take over.

Hextall was fine until he wasn't. In a vaccum most of the deals were ok but there were so many small things that it is beginning to add up.

Carter should have got one year.
Kap should have got a show me one year.
Heinen should not have been signed. His million should have been free for calls ups.
Hextall getting so close to the cap that Smith couldn't start the season with the team.
Moving out half of the bottom six and brining in a top 6 player to put in the bottom 6.
Granlund was not worth a second to be paid 5mil for the next two years.

Overall Hextall made this team too old as well.
Marino -> Petry - 10 years
Matheson - > Rutta - 3 years
McCann - > Carter - 12 years
Kap - > Granlund - 5 years
TB -> Bonino - 6 years

You cant just keep making the team older. Guys get injured more often or have off nights more frequently.

Sullivan is the biggest problem by far but hextall is becoming a problem himself

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Hextall was fine until he wasn't. In a vaccum most of the deals were ok but there were so many small things that it is beginning to add up.

Heinen should not have been signed. His million should have been free for calls ups.
Hextall getting so close to the cap that Smith couldn't start the season with the team.
Moving out half of the bottom six and brining in a top 6 player to put in the bottom 6.

TB -> Bonino - 6 years

You cant just keep making the team older. Guys get injured more often or have off nights more frequently.

Sullivan is the biggest problem by far but hextall is becoming a problem himself
A lot of the issues you have with the players you mentioned are the coach's doing. Not the GM. You still don't get that.

How are you hating on players that were used so poorly on this roster that they had to be given away for nothing only to bounce back to their better selves almost instantly after leaving.

You think that's the GM? Nah mate, your issues are with the coach and you go to great lengths wanting to blame the GM as a "yeah but him too" sort of way when the biggest problem for about 5yrs now has been Mike Sullivan.

A GM for about 2.5 seasons deserves at least more time and his own coach hire before a firing.

JR in his first 3yrs in, fired Bylsma, hired MJ, fired MJ and hired Sully.

Shero came in - fired Therrien, hired Bylsma, then refused to fire Bylsma and was fired himself.

Burke writes love letters to the Pens media about Mike Sullivan.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
A lot of the issues you have with the players you mentioned are the coach's doing. Not the GM. You still don't get that.

How are you hating on players that were used so poorly on this roster that they had to be given away for nothing only to bounce back to their better selves almost instantly after leaving.

You think that's the GM? Nah mate, your issues are with the coach and you go to great lengths wanting to blame the GM as a "yeah but him too" sort of way when the biggest problem for about 5yrs now has been Mike Sullivan.

A GM for about 2.5 seasons deserves at least more time and his own coach hire before a firing.

JR in his first 3yrs in, fired Bylsma, hired MJ, fired MJ and hired Sully.

Shero came in - fired Therrien, hired Bylsma, then refused to fire Bylsma and was fired himself.

Burke writes love letters to the Pens media about Mike Sullivan.

I 100% get it. I have wanted Sullivan gone for years. But you cant ignore Hextall here either. Carter would suck anywhere besides the bench. And I am not convinced granlund would be good even in the top 6. Nashville was thrilled to be out of that contract

Hextall's biggest mistake was not firing Sullivan last summer before FSG came in and he signed that contract/

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why the f*** do you want Hextall here for another minute? Even if lazy ass Hextall grew a backbone to fire Sullivan, he’d hire some idiot peewee coach that coached his kid 20 years ago.

Please stop trying to defend one of the worst GMs in the league. He had a disastrous off season last summer - let’s not do that again. He and Sully need to vanish from here.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

TB -> Bonino - 6 years

Yeah, guess why they threw away so many games in final minutes of the 3rd period. Because they are so old. I counted around 20 games this season when they threw away points in the 3rd when they had leads or could have just made it to overtimes and surrender late goals. 20 games.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I 100% get it. I have wanted Sullivan gone for years. But you cant ignore Hextall here either. Carter would suck anywhere besides the bench. And I am not convinced granlund would be good even in the top 6. Nashville was thrilled to be out of that contract

Hextall's biggest mistake was not firing Sullivan last summer before FSG came in and he signed that contract/
Personally I'd rather see Hextall stay another year and if there isn't improvement, fire him.

Sullivan is 3yrs past his pink slip date.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I want both Hextall and Sullivan replaced, which I'm not sure is the popular opinion. A lot more folks on the just anti Hextall or just anti Sully brigade imo

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Yup...started with Reaves. Whether you like Reaves or not, Sully's power move ruined JR and he took the reins of the roster.

Sully is a fraud, he lucked into the 2 cups.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I want both Hextall and Sullivan replaced, which I'm not sure is the popular opinion. A lot more folks on the just anti Hextall or just anti Sully brigade imo
Common sense should make people want both to be replaced. It’s odd if anyone wants either of these fools back next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad