Post-Game Talk: Pens Sens. That’s how we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I will not separate Sully/Hex when it comes to Carter. Carter was cemented into the lineup the minute they gave him a laughable 2 year extension.

Where I have a hard controlling my emotion is when I read people who are now leading the charge in regards to the folly that is Carter, when one year earlier CHEERED his new contract. (hi DK, among many others). Have they no shame??
I don't have a problem with someone changing their mind when new evidence presents itself or with them admitting they were wrong. Good for DK at least acknowledging that Carter is done and killing this team, regardless of what he thought of the contract at the time.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As obnoxious as DK absolutely is at least he learned his lesson last time around with Disco and can now recognize a lame duck coach when he sees one.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't have a problem with someone changing their mind when new evidence presents itself or with them admitting they were wrong. Good for DK at least acknowledging that Carter is done and killing this team, regardless of what he thought of the contract at the time.

I think my main issue is that these writers fashion themselves as “subject matter experts” and the unanimously just regurgitate the same shit.

Everything is Hextall and Jeff Carter’s fault when this team was flaming out against Montreal and the Islanders before he even got here due to poor defense, lack of finishing when it mattered, and asinine line up decisions

Guess what’s still happening.

Brian Dumoulin and Jeff Carter’s usage despite their play is the least shocking thing in the world and PIT media acts like Sullivan’s being forced to play this hand.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't care for the Carter trade, but I admitted he was a beast his first playoff year.

But I quickly pivoted once again and was mightily opposed to resigning him during the midst of their long winning streak last season. If DK wanted to build trust from his readers, he should first admit that he was wrong when he lectured anyone that questioned the new contract, then move to blasting Carter.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Peat argued for it.

The ED was fine. Carter was good last year and a big reason we made the playoffs.
Had Carter been exposed, he would not have been taken. Presuming McCann had been kept and protected, Tanev would still have been the choice.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bonino was good in his 2 games. Probably does a ton to stabilize this team, and Kulikov would have at least provided us some depth if he hadn’t been injured with how the injuries have gone. Hard to argue those two deals were bad given the cost and the fact we got out of McGinn’s deal.
Bonino has been absolutely irrelevant in all games played with us. And this is coming from someone who was really rooting for him to come in and stabilize the team.

I will walk back the Kulikov criticism but we did indeed get out of McGinn's deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Bonino has been absolutely irrelevant in all games played with us. And this is coming from someone who was really rooting for him to come in and stabilize the team.

I will walk back the Kulikov criticism but we did indeed get out of McGinn's deal.

He played the defensive role in the bottom six and didn’t get scored on and also helped set up a goal.

Hard disagree.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I generally don't tally up this stuff in my brain but it was like me you Peat and HSL that hated it and that's it haha

People piss and moan about the ED but the BIG thing there was really protecting Carter and signaling that he was a big part of the puzzle. People loved that shit, too.
Man, I caught so much flak for hating that signing as well as advocating for trading Rust last TDL. :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Gets 35 million pay day and stop playing.

Really makes you wonder if contracts should start getting shorter.
Yes, especially when that contract runs until you're 36 years old!! I mean I don't mind a 23-24-25 year old getting a 6-7 year deal, not at age 30. Hextall is clueless

Man, I caught so much flak for hating that signing as well as advocating for trading Rust last TDL. :laugh:
Same here, I understand he has a NMC but tell him he is no longer wanted and he has to go, so give me 3 destinations you would like...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I generally don't tally up this stuff in my brain but it was like me you Peat and HSL that hated it and that's it haha

People piss and moan about the ED but the BIG thing there was really protecting Carter and signaling that he was a big part of the puzzle. People loved that shit, too.
I went back and read my take. Apparently my view was that the age thing was a concern but I wasn't sure how we'd do better given cap constraints.

I was half right I guess. We probably could have done better with that three million. We could have lit on fire and rolled it up and smoked it like a blunt. That would have been a more productive use of that money :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I went back and read my take. Apparently my view was that the age thing was a concern but I wasn't sure how we'd do better given cap constraints.

I was half right I guess. We probably could have done better with that three million. We could have lit on fire and rolled it up and smoked it like a blunt. That would have been a more productive use of that money :laugh:

NOW you're talkin!

Reactions: Pancakes

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I've been saying the same for a while. Guaranteed contracts are the worst thing to happen to sports.
Eh I am for guaranteed contracts or a lot of it guaranteed.

I just think shorter term is a must.

I'd be down to slowly bring down contracts to 5 years.

Add something like a franchise tag like the NFL does and have that player be able to sign for 6 or 7 years max.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

As I said within the first few pages. We should’ve just given that money to Rodrigues if we felt the need to spend 3 mil on a bottom six guy.

Reactions: Pancakes

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
A moment that struck me was when we had a power play in the second period and tried to carry the puck in three times in a row in the most predictable of fashions. Even Bob Errey had enough and said "Hockey is a team game. You still gotta play the right way even if the opponent is out of the playoffs". The Pens don't play the right play, they play Sully's way which might have worked six years ago but nowadays is stale, to put it mildly. The teams which play the Pens the most know perfectly well how to beat them (except for the Flyers and Jackets for some reason), this is not a coincidence.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I will not separate Sully/Hex when it comes to Carter. Carter was cemented into the lineup the minute they gave him a laughable 2 year extension.

Where I have a hard controlling my emotion is when I read people who are now leading the charge in regards to the folly that is Carter, when one year earlier CHEERED his new contract. (hi DK, among many others). Have they no shame??
I think I was happy for this year but didn't like the 2 year.

So I guess I was wrong but I wasn't wrong about 2 years. The second year is ass.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Highly doubt it. But still.
I think 2 million with term might have gotten him to stay. Tough to say though.

I would have been happy to give E-Rod like 5 years at 2 mil or 4 years at 2 mil. Maybe he'd suck for the last year or two but that wouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad