Post-Game Talk: Pens Sens. That’s how we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Rust can't clear leads to gwg
Had a golden opportunity to tie and whiffs
Hextall how's riding this goal tending duo into a mountain working out? We'll probably end up missing playoffs by a point or two then we can look back at how many points jarry single handedly gave away.

Jarry wasn't awful. He wasn't stellar either. Not the reason we lose. But he might be the reason we don't make the playoffs.

Dumo he's just not good at hockey anymore. Was our 5m tdl acquisition even on the ice? Good job hextall thx for strapping us to that empty jersey for two more years
You can say the same about the PP. This team has so many holes and flaws, it's not fair to put it on one specific player. I mean blaming Sullivan for not coaching the PP or Hextall for acquiring Granlund, which I think is on Sullivan as well, seems fair.

Can we also stop to pretend that Chychrun was available for the Pens? It's clear that either him nor Tarasenko, Kane, Meier or whoever you guys were dreaming of would have wanted to come to the Pens. Nobody wants to play on this team anymore.

Last edited:

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
He's really not. He has a couple of points but he's getting absolutely slaughtered analytically when he's on the ice.

Let's not act like the shitty players the Penguins got rid of are actually now good since they're gone now. These guys all suck.
You statement is not correct. Please see his point totals ever since he has joined the blues

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Hate to say it but I think that's a poor reflection of the leadership on this team. That goes for the coach that goes for the captain. After a while it appears as though both are getting tuned out. Also, it's a lack of attention to detail. Players aren't buying in anymore, sure they'll have Spurts where they look brilliant, but there's too many lapses, too much inconsistency. Really hope we trade off the core get some good assets and let them end their careers with dignity in places they might be able to contend.

All the people who say that the players have tuned out the coach may be correct, but that in no way implies they no longer want him around. This team of mental (and physical) softies very much loves their Country Club lifestyle and would be horrified if Sully was canned -- especially if a new guy was hired who is NOT a similar wuss (i.e. not Boudreau).

I'd love to see this soft, fragile and WAY too "secure" in their jobs group of babies have to play under someone like Tortorella or Trotz. They'd either be forced to wake up from their comas and start putting out some effort on the ice, or they'd melt into a huge pool of tears because "coach iz so meen and tuff!"

Either way it would be fun to watch, although of course they'd choose the latter option in order to get Mr. Meany fired ASAP.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Rust has 2G and 3A in the last 18 games. One of the goals was an empty-netter (albeit a very beautiful one), the other one a tap-in. His passing is atrocious and his defense game has tanked too. The fact that Sully's go to move is putting him on the top line is all you need to know about his coaching skills.
That my friend gets you a NMC on your next contract!!

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so this is why losing to montreal was so bad. your entire season comes down to running into a hot goalie with a force field. points are points doesn't matter when you accumulated them.
Florida and the Isle are both on winning streaks and have positive goal differential.
Whle we are 0-4 and negative. It's been forever since the penguins where negative on goal differential this late in the season.

Hextall is secretly a flyer sleeper agent his work here is done.

Seriously though it seems like most of the bad moves Hextall makes everyone can see it's a bad move from the get go but he just plows ahead. I'm still pissed that we are stuck with Granlund for 2 more years, wtf is that? It's like he has to up each bone headed move with an even bigger one.

Reactions: Zbynek

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well now that the penguins are out of a spot, both conferences have their top 8 teams in a positive goal differential.

Penguins are a non playoff team on stats and on the ice.... never thought I'd watch in my time during the sid era that the penguins would look this poor.
Capitals only team in league not in a spot to have a positive GD, but that won't be for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Well now that the penguins are out of a spot, both conferences have their top 8 teams in a positive goal differential.

Penguins are a non playoff team on stats and on the ice.... never thought I'd watch in my time during the sid era that the penguins would like this poor.
Capitals only team in league not in a spot to have a positive GD, but that won't be for long.
Our regulation wins are so low compared to the East playoff teams

We’ve won 25 of 70 games, 33 with bullshit 3v3.

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Longest losing streak in the Eastern Conference...only other current playoff team to not have won their last game has only lost 1 in a row.

Golf clap 👏

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Pens management has been abysmal since the 2nd cup --- from signing Jack Johnson to trading Marino. We had a couple of more runs in us, but we never fixed our issues and made bogus errors time after time.

Sullivan should have been gone three years ago -- not that he is a bad coach but every coach in the league needs a reset. This isn't the 50's where a coach can control the livelihood of a player to such a degree he was an unquestioned dictator. A modern coach has a shelf life -- Sullivan has reached his.

The goaltending has been a problem for four seasons, in fact we lost in 2019 to the Caps mostly due to goaltending. We traded Kessel and never got that third piece back that can drive a line's scoring chance. We got a tough guy who could play hockey and then didn't play him. We have gotten knocked around in the playoffs ever since. We didn't simply let our young players play - Marino and Pierre would be better than the useless vets we now spent 10M on on the backend !

Also, lord don't get me started on the extensions. You have to move players -- a guy like Rusty should have been moved appropriately. Rust is a tweener who has lost his hustle (they all do, which is why you replace bottom six guys with younger ones rather than PAY them). Carter? Carter? Carter? Why?

The refusal to adapt our game was maddening. How long did it take to allow the dman to make that d to d pass in our zone rather then flip the puck out? When have we adjusted in a playoff series? Never?

The Pens doomed themselves and that is sad.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Looking forward to the draft and seeing who else we unload to Garner more picks. The good news is the Summers will be a lot more interesting, well the draft will be far more interesting for us. Bad news is the product on the ice will stink to High heaven very very soon.

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
Pens management has been abysmal since the 2nd cup --- from signing Jack Johnson to trading Marino. We had a couple of more runs in us, but we never fixed our issues and made bogus errors time after time.

Sullivan should have been gone three years ago -- not that he is a bad coach but every coach in the league needs a reset. This isn't the 50's where a coach can control the livelihood of a player to such a degree he was an unquestioned dictator. A modern coach has a shelf life -- Sullivan has reached his.

The goaltending has been a problem for four seasons, in fact we lost in 2019 to the Caps mostly due to goaltending. We traded Kessel and never got that third piece back that can drive a line's scoring chance. We got a tough guy who could play hockey and then didn't play him. We have gotten knocked around in the playoffs ever since. We didn't simply let our young players play - Marino and Pierre would be better than the useless vets we now spent 10M on on the backend !

Also, lord don't get me started on the extensions. You have to move players -- a guy like Rusty should have been moved appropriately. Rust is a tweener who has lost his hustle (they all do, which is why you replace bottom six guys with younger ones rather than PAY them). Carter? Carter? Carter? Why?

The refusal to adapt our game was maddening. How long did it take to allow the dman to make that d to d pass in our zone rather then flip the puck out? When have we adjusted in a playoff series? Never?

The Pens doomed themselves and that is sad.
This past off-season, there were two playoff teams in particular that were considered to be at the crossroads - Pens and Bruins (maybe the Caps also, but who cares about them?!) Both teams with an aging core, although admittedly Boston did have more younger talent. But the two primary differences were far better cap management/roster building, and being willing to replace a fairly successful coach, Look at the difference now - it didn't need to be this way!

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Just let it be the off-season already. I'm far less excited about who is gonna slaughter this team in the playoffs if they manage to eek in than I am about who is gonna replace the FO once it gets nuked, and where this team ends up drafting in the 1st round.

It's cool that Sullivan is as untouchable as Sidney Crosby. Dude's been nothing but a detriment for half a decade but he's gonna be here until the team ultimately drafts Crosby's kid in like 2043.
Hey if we’re tanking, I’m going to flip the switch and say that extending Sullsma was a brilliant move.

Three more years (of high draft picks)!

Cartumoulin
The bastard son of Gladams himself.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Gets 35 million pay day and stop playing.

Really makes you wonder if contracts should start getting shorter.
Players who win, and I admit are very small number of players compared to overall number of players.... especially at a young age will just have less desire to win, it's natural, it's human, but what is the foul is to be human yourself and to allow to sign a non-superstar fake-it-to-make-it grinder (who had a hot year or two in his career) - long term and unmovable. He is not a core. Not a unique high profile player Not irreplaceable.

As much as you like him (as a gm or coach) the guy is not one to sign long-term. There is no desire and no point for him to risk his health fighting for every inch of success when he's already achieved the grand finale. It's only human. Do you yourself not work hard early to get that better position to not have to be working so hard? Unfortunately, this happens in pro-sports just like any 9-5 horror house.
He should of been shipped.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Penguins are a non playoff team on stats and on the ice.... never thought I'd watch in my time during the sid era that the penguins would look this poor.

Seriously? I thought we all recognized this was coming. We've been selling our future and going "all-in" for years now. It was only a matter of time until it caught up to us. Sadly, I feel like this is only the beginning of the sinking ship. We're going to be the early 00s Pens again soon once our stars retire and it's going to be awful.

Reactions: LOGiK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Didn't one of the intrepid local reporters say something along the lines earlier this season that the organization looks at Bryan Rust as kind of the "ultimate Penguin" and sees him as the standard to which young players coming through the system should hold themselves?

Gross.

• Wow
Reactions: ncm7772 and vodeni

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
so this is why losing to montreal was so bad. your entire season comes down to running into a hot goalie with a force field. points are points doesn't matter when you accumulated them.
Florida and the Isle are both on winning streaks and have positive goal differential.
Whle we are 0-4 and negative. It's been forever since the penguins where negative on goal differential this late in the season.

Hextall is secretly a flyer sleeper agent his work here is done.

Seriously though it seems like most of the bad moves Hextall makes everyone can see it's a bad move from the get go but he just plows ahead. I'm still pissed that we are stuck with Granlund for 2 more years, wtf is that? It's like he has to up each bone headed move with an even bigger one.
What in the living f*** was that Granlund move? Seriously dude

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Seriously? I thought we all recognized this was coming. We've been selling our future and going "all-in" for years now. It was only a matter of time until it caught up to us. Sadly, I feel like this is only the beginning of the sinking ship. We're going to be the early 00s Pens again soon once our stars retire and it's going to be awful.
At least if they sold the future to be good now. Exciting at least.
They sold the future on mostly nothing. Two first round pics for Kapn'n, etc etc...
Outside of the obvious mistakes they have slowly creeped into a dreadfully mediocre and boring team... I figure if you wager the future you are at least some what exciting..... jeez-o.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad