Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
LEKK, HOG's and a service player from Van to balance out the cap seems great. IF they sign Jake long term that's the price we should demand.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
if you would get both Hogs and Lekk for Jake they would both definitely be in our top 6 next year as it stood

Which is also partially why I'm wondering if Rakell should be moved as well. Where does Rakell fit if you have Rust and Lekkerimaki as your top-6 RWers and Hoglander with Crosby?

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Man we really love stapling our 2 goal Euro's to Geno's wing........poor guy many of you must really hate him
Dude. It's his first year in the NHL, Sully has misused him, he's still producing at a near .5 PPG clip, and Geno said he likes playing with him.

Everyone would like him to score more. But he's had like.. six? seven? games actually on Malkin's line and produced in nearly all of them. Maybe hold of judgement for a bit.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Dude. It's his first year in the NHL, Sully has misused him, he's still producing at a near .5 PPG clip, and Geno said he likes playing with him.

Everyone would like him to score more. But he's had like.. six? seven? games actually on Malkin's line and produced in nearly all of them. Maybe hold of judgement for a bit.
I refuse to be complacent with another Euro project, this team has held on too many of them far too long and the infatuation with some of them in the fanbase is sickening.

Let him marinate in the bottom 6 or in WBS, the roster needed fixed a month ago. Do you think Geno is going to say I hate playing with him

Get him someone legit

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I refuse to be complacent with another Euro project, this team has held on too many of them far too long and the infatuation with some of them in the fanbase is sickening.

Let him marinate in the bottom 6 or in WBS, the roster needed fixed a month ago. Do you think Geno is going to say I hate playing with him

Get him someone legit
That is the exact opposite of how creative players are developed.

And why does it matter where he's from? Eric Tangradi had more of a shot on Malkin's line than Puustinen has, and did far less with it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Rakell at the moment doesn't offer much in trade value and I'm not keen on selling low on players.

I understand that but the clock is ticking and time isn't on our side. Save the project for later.
Time is on our side, the players we'd accumulate would likely all or most be under 25. You just gotta give up the ghost that we're winning with this core. That ship has sailed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't really see much of a long term position for Puustinen here. He's fine as a complementary winger for Malkin if you have a bona fide elite LWer for Malkin, but you need an elite LWer for Malkin before you do that.

His fit here long-term is a 3rd line RW, and I doubt he has a much higher upside than that. It's just a question of whether he can survive in the defensive usage that the 3rd line will eventually require.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
That is the exact opposite of how creative players are developed.

And why does it matter where he's from? Eric Tangradi had more of a shot on Malkin's line than Puustinen has, and did far less with it.

I'm talking the Zohorna, Kahuns that this board seemed to love so much.

Tangradi was not good as well.

I don't discriminate

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I wouldn't agree to any extension with a Canadian team without living there first to see if I liked it if I was Jake.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I honestly don't really see much of a long term position for Puustinen here. He's fine as a complementary winger for Malkin if you have a bona fide elite LWer for Malkin, but you need an elite LWer for Malkin before you do that.

His fit here long-term is a 3rd line RW, and I doubt he has a much higher upside than that. It's just a question of whether he can survive in the defensive usage that the 3rd line will eventually require.
First bold: pretty much my thoughts.

Second bold: He can't. He's responsible enough, but I don't think he could deal with the grind.

He is "just another Euro" in the sense that it's top-six or back home for him. However, he's shown more of a spark and far more creativity than any Pens prospect since Rust/Sheary in 15-16 and Jake in 16-17. I'm not saying he's going to ever reach a peak like Jake's, but I also don't want to define him or make up my mind about him after less than an eighth of a season of a top-six showing.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

You could have said the same thing about Sheary but I missed him after he was gone.

I think Puustinen can be a good homegrown forward. We need more of those on cheap contracts. Zero reason he cant play anywhere from L1-L3.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You could have said the same thing about Sheary but I missed him after he was gone.

I think Puustinen can be a good homegrown forward. We need more of those on cheap contracts. Zero reason he cant play anywhere from L1-L3.

Do you want a 38 year old Malkin playing with Sheary, though? Without an elite LWer on the other side of them?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Puustinen has a home if they can Sullivan and are willing to run an offensive-oriented 3rd line. Assume Hogs+Lekk

Hogs-Sid-Rust
DOC-Malkin-Puustinen
Raks-Yager-Lekky

In a year or two.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
When JR wants someone, he gets him. Guentzel will be familiar with the President, GM and Coach in Van. 1st+2nd+Leki+Higlander(this is a joke) . Get it done JR. Small price to pay for a cup.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea I’d be trying to fleece Van over anyone else. Just because I agree, they’d give up more. I also think Hoglander would look good next to Sid and his contract is so cheap for another year that they could spend that difference elsewhere in the offseason.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Something that I haven't seen acknowledged here yet regarding Guentzel: He can't come off LTIR until March 10th which is after the deadline. It's likely we've already seen the last game Jake will ever play in a Penguins uniform...

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
When JR wants someone, he gets him. Guentzel will be familiar with the President, GM and Coach in Van. 1st+2nd+Leki+Higlander(this is a joke) . Get it done JR. Small price to pay for a cup.
I really hope it's true that Guentzel is JR's obsession, because this is the opposite of the Kessel/Toronto situation where JR held some of the cards. If he wants Jake, he literally has nothing. We could send him to Vegas, Dallas, Edmonton, Colorado, LA...

Pay, JR.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really hope it's true that Guentzel is JR's obsession, because this is the opposite of the Kessel/Toronto situation where we JR held some of the cards. If he wants Jake, he literally has nothing. We could send him to Vegas, Dallas, Edmonton, Colorado, LA...

Pay, JR.
Jake doesn't have a super restrictive NTC.

JR didn't give up shit for Kessel.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Do you want a 38 year old Malkin playing with Sheary, though? Without an elite LWer on the other side of them?

Better him than like, some schmo. Malkin can also go to Crosby's wing. Or Puustinen can play with Crosby.

Something that I haven't seen acknowledged here yet regarding Guentzel: He can't come off LTIR until March 10th which is after the deadline. It's likely we've already seen the last game Jake will ever play in a Penguins uniform...

Milkshake Factory executives already meeting about the possibility of "Rake shakes" with Rakell

E7

Reactions: SEALBound
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad