Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Agree with everyone not worried about getting a 1st rounder…. I admit at first I insisted on getting one for Jake but now I’m on the extra prospect instead of the first. I don’t want a guy that will maybe play in the nhl when Sid and Geno are gone.

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
Why would Jake want an extension with a team he doesn't know?

If it's about money, wouldn't he test being the most valuable UFA on the market come July 1?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah like I said yesterday I'm not too hot on picks like... 20-32. Those are your Colby Armstrong/Brooks Orpik range of guys... if they even pan out. And I just don't have much confidence in this team's drafting/development. I get that you have a chance at something good there but I'd rather take another team's top three prospect than a lower third first rounder.

And yeah you can package firsts to move up in the draft. But I feel like that hardly ever happens. When is the last time this team even did that? Fleury?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Is is going off on a separate tangent entirely, but I think there's a very compelling discussion to have about moving Raty to 2C and Malkin to 2RW in the future if Raty his his upside.
I know we are some years from it but Trocheck not coming here was due to Malkin being guaranteed the 2C and he was told he wouldnt be the 2C here. I dont see Geno playing wing. Trocheck didnt want to come here and play 3C among some other factors

Geno is fine as a 2C, he just needs surrounded with legit top 6 wingers, he doesn't have that. Replacing Smith with Zucker was a disaster

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
IMO, Van doesn't have the assets to get Jake. Let EDM and VGK out-bid each other for him.
I admittedly don’t follow prospects as much as I used to but most places have EDM and VGK ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of pool. If you look at it they’re pretty meh. Probably not that much better than what we already have.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know we are some years from it but Trocheck not coming here was due to Malkin being guaranteed the 2C and he was told he wouldnt be the 2C here. I dont see Geno playing wing. Trocheck didnt want to come here and play 3C among some other factors

Geno is fine as a 2C, he just needs surrounded with legit top 6 wingers, he doesn't have that. Replacing Smith with Zucker was a disaster

Well Malkin definitely doesn't get to play with Panarin... that's for sure.

But his main "problem" is that he's simply fading out. And seeing as how the team basically treats him as a spare part these days I don't see them helping his situation with top end wings. I don't hate the idea of simply putting young talented players on his line and hoping for the best until he chooses to retire.

Think he's also banged up this season.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Well Malkin definitely doesn't get to play with Panarin... that's for sure.

But his main "problem" is that he's simply fading out. And seeing as how the team basically treats him as a spare part these days I don't see them helping his situation with top end wings. I don't hate the idea of simply putting young talented players on his line and hoping for the best until he chooses to retire.

Think he's also banged up this season.

If you continue to put players who are trying to find their game on Genos wing you are likely going to get the same results. I would rather get the great version of Geno with a legit top 6 guy and see what they can do. Smith was not that and I think it was obvious coming in with the way he was utilized in Vegas. For a 5 million player I think we could have done better and I think he deserves better.

I still think Geno is a great 2C in todays NHL

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Looking back that offseason Geno was ufa and Trochek was out there I was mentally prepared for that to happen. I’m starting to question if Geno even finishes out his contract and retires.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If you continue to put players who are trying to find their game on Genos wing you are likely going to get the same results. I would rather get the great version of Geno with a legit top 6 guy and see what they can do. Smith was not that and I think it was obvious coming in with the way he was utilized in Vegas. For a 5 million player I think we could have done better and I think he deserves better.

I still think Geno is a great 2C in todays NHL

Meh. As big a Malkin fan as I am I just don't agree. He's fine enough for 6M... better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. But great? Nah.

I think he'd be a lot better with some real talent next to him. But I would absolutely not hold your breath, there. Dude can barely even eke out time on the team's second PP unit these days. It's pretty obvious the coaching staff has downgraded him in their overall team concept. I think they think more of Lars Eller these days TBH.

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Looking back that offseason Geno was ufa and Trochek was out there I was mentally prepared for that to happen. I’m starting to question if Geno even finishes out his contract and retires.
It was definitely close to happening, When Trocheck found out that he was going 3C plus his relationship with Galant he chose NYR and still stayed close to home

That being said I take Geno 10 out of 10 times anyway

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
IMO, Van doesn't have the assets to get Jake. Let EDM and VGK out-bid each other for him.
VAN most certainly does, whether they're willing to part with them is a different matter. But IF they want to go all in, Jakes the best available player.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You can get a lot more than Garland for Jake.

Oh yea, I meant as the foundation for a trade.

I did just notice Garland makes $6M (I thought he made closer to 4) so I may backtrack a bit on my proposal. But Garland is the type of player the Pens need more of

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Agree with everyone not worried about getting a 1st rounder…. I admit at first I insisted on getting one for Jake but now I’m on the extra prospect instead of the first. I don’t want a guy that will maybe play in the nhl when Sid and Geno are gone.
You need to ICE a team after they leave so I disagree, best thing is to try and get both an asset for now as well as the future. Jake should be able to get you both.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

You have to trade him.

Is he saying the return is 1st, 2nd, prospect+ and separately that Guentzel will sign for $8-9M?

Or that's the package if Jake is signed for $8-9M?

Getting a JR "I don't care if I overpay as long as I get my guy" kind of package and then still having a chance to re-sign Jake for under $9M would be amazing.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Meh. As big a Malkin fan as I am I just don't agree. He's fine enough for 6M... better than a lot of people are giving him credit for. But great? Nah.

I think he'd be a lot better with some real talent next to him. But I would absolutely not hold your breath, there. Dude can barely even eke out time on the team's second PP unit these days. It's pretty obvious the team has downgraded him in their overall team concept. I think they think more of Lars Eller these days TBH.
I mean we are talking an almost ppg player who isn't getting any points on a powerplay and playing with the likes of Smith, DOC, Puustinen and White who I love DOCs coming into his game aren't providing him with much if any help.

You put a legit top 6 on his wing and I think you definitely see a much better version of Geno

Reactions: akapidots

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Oh yea, I meant as the foundation for a trade.

I did just notice Garland makes $6M (I thought he made closer to 4) so I may backtrack a bit on my proposal. But Garland is the type of player the Pens need more of
I'd prefer we get a younger player But I see your point. I like Garland but hoping for younger.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
It was definitely close to happening, When Trocheck found out that he was going 3C plus his relationship with Galant he chose NYR and still stayed close to home

That being said I take Geno 10 out of 10 times anyway
I don’t remember the cap situation at the time but would have liked him AND Geno I guess they would have had to let Rakell or Rust leave that offseason but it would be nice to have Trochek as a 2C and Geno on the wing with either him or Sid.

I think Geno is at the point where he can’t do it himself anymore… he needs a winger to go and do the dirty work for him… like he told jagr new nhl is fast but not him

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean we are talking an almost ppg player who isn't getting any points on a powerplay and playing with the likes of Smith, DOC, Puustinen and White who I love DOCs coming into his game aren't providing him with much if any help.

You put a legit top 6 on his wing and I think you definitely see a much better version of Geno

Maybe maybe not.

But if they haven't lifted a finger to do that in years they sure aren't going to, now.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don’t remember the cap situation at the time but would have liked him AND Geno I guess they would have had to let Rakell or Rust leave that offseason but it would be nice to have Trochek as a 2C and Geno on the wing with either him or Sid.

I think Geno is at the point where he can’t do it himself anymore… he needs a winger to go and do the dirty work for him… like he told jagr new nhl is fast but not him
They were going to keep both him and Geno, Trocheck wanted 2C and he wasn't getting that with Geno here

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
You need to ICE a team after they leave so I disagree, best thing is to try and get both an asset for now as well as the future. Jake should be able to get you both.
I mean by all means if there’s a bidding war take a first rounder everytime. I’m just saying I’d take a teams 2 of their top prospects over just 1 and a first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad