Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Your assuming the get Mikheyev. If they don’t or get someone expiring on LW they will be missing a top 9 LW.

Rakell
DOC

I think they're going to have to take Mikheyev back if they're sending Guentzel to Vancouver. I don't think Vancouver can make the money work without it.

If they don't take back Mikheyev, you're right that they do have a top-6 LW spot. I'm just figuring that they'll have to do that. I also like Mikheyev-Malkin-Lekkerimaki on paper, at least from what I've read about them, so I'd actually kinda be hoping to run with that.

I think you eventually trade Rakell and have Yager replace Rakell down the line. But like I said a few times, my concern is whether Crosby would be okay playing with 2 righties long-term.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think they're going to have to take Mikheyev back if they're sending Guentzel to Vancouver. I don't think Vancouver can make the money work without it.

If they don't take back Mikheyev, you're right that they do have a top-6 LW spot. I'm just figuring that they'll have to do that. I also like Mikheyev-Malkin-Lekkerimaki on paper, at least from what I've read about them, so I'd actually kinda be hoping to run with that.

I think you eventually trade Rakell and have Yager replace Rakell down the line. But like I said a few times, my concern is whether Crosby would be okay playing with 2 righties long-term.

Be nice if Poulin wasn’t injured. Now would be a great chance to see what he could do at LW in the top 9

Reactions: Freeptop

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of next year, I'm actually a bit curious to see what they do with their depth forwards for next year. They have a lot of RFAs or depth guys under contract for next year, all of O'Connor, Bemstrom, Puljujarvi, Puustinen, Phillips, Nieto, Eller and Acciari are under contract or RFAs and should be in bottom-6 roles. It's a log-jam of super middling guys, so I wonder if Dubas tries to clear out some of this at some point. I also think Poulin becomes waiver eligible next year as well.

My guess is that Phillips ends up not being retained and Puljujarvi ends up in the AHL, but it's still a logjam of pretty middling guys even without those two. If the Penguins get a few NHLers in the Guentzel deal as well, it becomes even more crowded.

This is also kinda why I don't really know where Puustinen fits long-term. I feel like he and Bemstrom serve the same exact purpose, and if Bemstrom ends up legit, where does that leave Puustinen?

Last edited:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Speaking of next year, I'm actually a bit curious to see what they do with their depth forwards for next year. They have a lot of RFAs or depth guys under contract for next year, all of O'Connor, Bemstrom, Puljujarvi, Puustinen, Phillips, Nieto, Eller and Acciari are under contract or RFAs and should be in bottom-6 roles. It's a log-jam of super middling guys, so I wonder if Dubas tries to clear out some of this at some point. I also think Poulin becomes waiver eligible next year as well.

My guess is that Phillips ends up not being retained and Puljujarvi ends up in the AHL, but it's still a logjam of pretty middling guys even without those two. If the Penguins get a few NHLers in the Guentzel deal as well, it becomes even more crowded.

This is also kinda why I don't really know where Puustinen fits long-term. I feel like he and Bemstrom serve the same exact purpose, and if Bemstrom ends up legit, where does that leave Puustinen?

keeping all of Nieto, Eller, and Accairi over Puustinen is pretty stupid. Puustinen should be in top 6 on RW.

Rust
Puustinen
Bemstrom

Is the RW depth right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
keeping all of Nieto, Eller, and Accairi over Puustinen is pretty stupid. Puustinen should be in top 6 on RW.

Rust
Puustinen
Bemstrom

Is the RW depth right now.

Right now or beyond the year? If beyond the year, they better get a damn good LWer to play with Malkin and Puustinen.

Puustinen is "good" in a top-6 role like Simon was "good" in a top-6 role: as a 3rd wheel for 2 elite linemates.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tim Benz said in an opinion piece what I have been saying.

Despite the very satisfying wins of late nothing has changed since Dubas talked about being possible sellers at the deadline. It remains the most likely right move.

Reactions: Sideline

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
If the prospect is Hoglander or Lekkerimaki +++, that trade IMO is a no brainer. I have a good feeling we will fleece the Canucks here

On a hockey's future site !!! lol The last time I was this excited was at the Pittsburgh draft in 2012 when we traded Staal only to draft Pouliot instead of Forsberg lol
And we all know who the trading GM was then too. 😮

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It just boggles my mind that anyone would believe that Dubas would let Jake walk for nothing in attempting a failed run to the playoffs. He all but said he'll be trading him. We're not all of a sudden cup contenders. Let's get real here and look at the big picture. In trading him you can get a player that helps now as well as (potentially) in the future.

All that said, losing tomorrow helps the cause, this weekend as well. Make it easy on Kyle boys, lose!

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
If a Jake trade happens I am guessing it's happening on the weekend. Just a feeling.
If it doesn’t happen by next Wednesday at the latest, I suspect either he’ll be kept or traded last minute on deadline day for a bag of peanuts. To summarize, he either will be traded or not. Hope that was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad