Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Uh, or maybe that's being put out there as a negotiating tactic. He's still currently belle of the ball.

Not if there is a sign and trade in place. Well, maybe there would be a NTC to some degree, but that it is waived for his new team. Should be exciting. Kyle, we turn our lonely eyes to you, seize this opportunity and make us proud!
No, you’re not listening….they want to keep Jake for Sid…if they sign him, they won’t be trading him

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am completely happy with re-signing Guentzel if the trade offers for him are not to your liking. I just really doubt that the trade offers will be that, I think teams will be offering far too much to justify keeping him to a huge extension.

If they do keep him, they better trade Rakell. I think Rakell’s only spot on this team going forward is in Guentzel’s role after Guentzel leaves.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No, you’re not listening….they want to keep Jake for Sid…if they sign him, they won’t be trading him
Oh, I'm sorry, so Kyle is just gonna capitulate and not get a good asset or two here and we'll just plummet with no good assets coming back? Said the opposite at his presser, but we'll see. Again ALL will be answered by shortly after 3pm EST friday. I'm willing to wait.

Also, IF they would trade MP, their haul should be on the same level as to what Jake would bring considering he's signed through next season at an incredibly affordable cap hit.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmmm so it could be said that MP might be the REAL Belle of the Ball, then. This is all so confusing it's giving me the vapors. What does Rhett Butler think?

Reactions: Andy99

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, Rust just recently signed that deal, but with Hextall. Rust has a full NMC. He's been here for eight years so he clearly wants to stay. His cap hit and term are onerous, he's in his 30's. So, why would another team even want him? And what kind of return could we even get? How many more reasons do you need to realize it's not only not gonna happen, it really isn't a good option. And you're an ''educator''?

Rust's NMC is only on the first three years of his contract. This year is year two. There is no trade protection on his contract starting in 2025. Which would make moving him next summer quite a bit easier, if they just need to get out of his contract.
Considering we're talking about a player who is a regular 20+ goal scorer who is also responsible defensively, I have a hard time believing they'd have a difficult time moving him. 5.125M for a 20+ goal scorer is not an onerous cap hit - it's below market value. And during the summer, that would be a pretty easy move to make for the kind of team that would be looking to add him.

I could easily see the Sabres or Red Wings looking to add someone like Rust - a two-way winger who won the Cup a couple times? That's like catnip to GMs and coaches. And not just the Penguins, either.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am completely happy with re-signing Guentzel if the trade offers for him are not to your liking. I just really doubt that the trade offers will be that, I think teams will be offering far too much to justify keeping him to a huge extension.

If they do keep him, they better trade Rakell. I think Rakell’s only spot on this team going forward is in Guentzel’s role after Guentzel leaves.
The only qualifier that I would give is that the offers will be very strong, but not as strong as many here are hoping I suspect. Absent JR going full JR.

I suspect a middling first and a very nice prospect, but not two first rounders or the equal in a prospect.

He is a pure rental after all, until proven otherwise.

If the teams offering can talk to him and work out an extension first then all bets are off.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Dejan says they shouldn't trade Guentzel.

Between this and Madden, sure seems like someone is working local media to push for Guentzel to stay.
This whole deadline will be helpful to reveal who Dubas leaks to. If Jake is back we'll know he's leaking locally. The national media in Canada seems pretty confident Jake is out there.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It would be such a Penguins thing to do to have an opportunity to make a clean break, effect some real change, get some decent assets back and signal the start of a new phase only to just throw their hands up and acquiesce to a ludicrous contract for what is in the end a support player for a Cup-aspirations style team when they are very clearly by any metric not that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Dejan says they shouldn't trade Guentzel.

Between this and Madden, sure seems like someone is working local media to push for Guentzel to stay.
Ironic since the fat smelly man who hasnt seen his own penis since the Nixon administration wanted Jake gone since his shoulder injury now wants him stay.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That is also what I expect.

They'll trade the other pieces, but they'll keep Jake.
Yeah, I honestly do not want to be this cynical about it, but every time I imagine this team to make the wrong decision they do, and they have done so over 3 different GMs and 2 different ownership groups. I don't expect this to change, really.

So I will be pleasantly shocked if we're actually moving any of GCR.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
How often has Madden been right about anything? And the only thing I remember DK being correct about was Stanley Cup Champion Jack @&$&!? Johnson.

I don’t believe Dubas is going to keep both Rust and Jake. I love Jake but we have to get younger. Resigning him to a long term deal only makes sense if you’re moving out Rust+ to get younger assets.

If they want to add MP to Jake/Smith/Ned or Jarry/Eller all getting shipped so be it. We need as many pieces as possible to at least make a fun and hopefully faster team

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This whole deadline will be helpful to reveal who Dubas leaks to. If Jake is back we'll know he's leaking locally. The national media in Canada seems pretty confident Jake is out there.
Since we're hopelessly out of it it's quite possible teams that have a sincere interest might believe they can low ball Dubas because he can't just let him walk for nothing. However, if other teams interested believe he might re sign in PIT, well then the lowball offers simply won't cut it. Again, should be interesting.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
This will be unpopular but I would rather let Jake walk for free than re-sign him. I think 8 years at a big number to Guentzel is the worst case scenario.

Pens need as much turnover as possible.

We already couldn't win with him.

The system needs to change and every single molded player along with it.

Time for a new look team. You're not out skating anyone - even if you brought in two speed demon centers - Sid/Geno won't keep the pace with them. Hell, even our younger guys wouldn't and they're too offensively inept to do anything even if they could (DOC, as an example).

Should have gone big bruising several seasons ago as a counter punch. Instead we're trying to keep hammering this bullshit into the same hole and, surprise, it ain't working. But EK! sike.

Only way you're getting consistent offense out of Geno is with Sid or someone like Wilson/Bennett to retreive pucks by pummeling the opposition. Geno can then catch up to the play and make magic happen. DOC simply isn't good enough and has zero vision.

Frankly, team needs to (badly) trade:
- Rakell (he's where offense goes to die and doesn't fit a forward-looking top 6 here)
- Smith
- Guentzel (to help reshape the team)
- Pettersson (to help reshape the team and to avoid whatever the hell he's getting next contract)
- Eller (for a couple futures)
- The entire bottom 6
- Rust if you can, if you can't - at least he's proven he can play up and down the lineup
- Graves if you can for anything
* Jarry if you want to cash in on the goaltending market and get out of a potentially heinous deal.

... his work is cut out for him. But he'll likely pull a page out of Sullivan's book and just make excuse after excuse as to why he can't do anything and need to evaluate blah blah. Sullivan/Dubas is a match made in heaven for tanking a team for likely 15 years. They'll fail, continually - and every single prospect the team gets will then be ruined by Sullivan - complete circle of life.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Oh, I'm sorry, so Kyle is just gonna capitulate and not get a good asset or two here and we'll just plummet with no good assets coming back? Said the opposite at his presser, but we'll see. Again ALL will be answered by shortly after 3pm EST friday. I'm willing to wait.

Also, IF they would trade MP, their haul should be on the same level as to what Jake would bring considering he's signed through next season at an incredibly affordable cap hit.
Yes, Kyle is going to capitulate to FSG their desire to keep Sid here and happy at all costs…just as FSG did when they signed that ludicrous extension for Sid’s BFF Mike Sullivan lol

Reactions: Coastal Kev

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Anyone else remember when Madden was calling people idiots for not wanting to trade Jake in a deal for Matt Duchene when he was leaving Colorado. Dude knows hockey though since he tells everyone it must be true.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens FSG group has to know things will decline here. Sid will be gone in say 2 years as he wants to be in the olympics in 2026. Geno is sliding, and lack of prospects is the reality. Only a rebuild with trading assets the next 2 years makes sense. Jake and Smith this year. Karlsson, Rust and even Geno to Florida for a nice pick or prospects makes sense. Pens can finish in top ten for the draft and maybe get some lottery luck. Add a very good prospect and number 1 as well and that is a start.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, Kyle is going to capitulate to FSG their desire to keep Sid here and happy at all costs…just as FSG did when they signed that ludicrous extension for Sid’s BFF Mike Sullivan lol
That was signed with Hextall not Kyle. I just am not gonna draw any conclusions when there's so many different things we'll hear between now and friday. When the dust clears we need to have an A+ can't miss prospect and another that eclipses Yager in the pecking order. Maybe a couple draft picks and quality young depth NHLer or two as well. Or the equivalent thereof. Those are my expectation. We'll see if they're met or not.

Reactions: orby

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Having key players in mid to late 30's and aging out has a lot to do with that as well. You apparently over looked that part of it. Carter, Sid, Geno, Letang, all ancient. While Sid is playing well he's still not Sid in his prime. How do you not see that? Geno has two goals in 26 games? Not seeing that either?

It’s obvious that we’re older, but the alternative of blowing everything up and having 18 Sullivan-type clones on the team.

Older teams have won the Cup before. Not that I have delusions that firing the coach will lead this team to instant glory, but I’d rather take a last shot at glory if we’re going to suck afterward anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad