Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If the guys at Fenway are so enamored with Sully why not offer him a “promotion” and make him an executive of the Gatorade flavor chooser for practice or something to keep him around. I think it’s bloody obvious that the team needs a shakeup.
It’s probably not only FSG. It’s probably the players too. Everyone wants to win but they’re unwilling to try something new. They don’t want to deal with a new coach coming in and challenging them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Jake, it's just a couple of months. Consider it an extended vacation. You can come back when it's done. Your favorite restaurant will still be here and we'll keep your gloves somewhere safe.

You will have to get used to a new coach, though...
lol this team has no right to claim they’re serious about winning anything.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Roenick has no sources but I'll take any hopium I can get. Get this bum out of here.
Roenick is an ignorant piece of shit, but I hope this one time, he's right and Dubas sees it.

Jake, it's just a couple of months. Consider it an extended vacation. You can come back when it's done. Your favorite restaurant will still be here and we'll keep your gloves somewhere safe.

You will have to get used to a new coach, though...
Jake - "I had to adjust to a new time zone and it was weird because in my mind it was 4pm and suddenly on the moving picture thing, there was a game on that was at 7pm in another place, I don't like that, it's hard to get used to. Also the temperature is different in other places and that's not cool at all, I don't like new snow boots that I can't wear, I mean now I have to wear sandals? Life isn't fair."

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
lol this team has no right to claim they’re serious about winning anything.
I don't know that my post suggested they are, but certainly if, after 4 first round exits and missing the playoffs 2 years in a row, they don't fire Sullivan, I don't know who could argue otherwise.

If they fire Sullivan, I'll give them another shot. A Cup is probably out of the question, but I'd be happy just to see Crosby/Malkin make it out of the first round one more time. Which I think is doable with a new coach and the right roster moves.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I don't know that my post suggested they are, but certainly if, after 4 first round exits and missing the playoffs 2 years in a row, they don't fire Sullivan, I don't know who could argue otherwise.

If they fire Sullivan, I'll give them another shot. A Cup is probably out of the question, but I'd be happy just to see Crosby/Malkin make it out of the first round one more time. Which I think is doable with a new coach and the right roster moves.
No it isn't

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I do have to admire Dubas's skill in putting together a whole roster where not a single player has the balls to crash the net. All they want to do is lazily pass it around the perimeter and score pretty goals. Even the various plugs he brought in are incredibly soft. For as much as everyone is bitching about Sullivan, this is totally on Dubas too.

Uh note that these are the players Sullivan WANTED

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

No, I just mean that nobody in the organization is talking about doubling down and working hard or fixing anything. Just about how much change sucks and how difficult it is to adjust to new things.

My point isn't that changing that line of thinking could mean we're contenders or anything (as the insane poster above likes to pretend) but more that if the role models in the organization think like that, then this team has already given up, they just haven't admitted it to themselves yet.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From Emily Kaplan’s article this am:

THE EXPECTATION AROUND the league is that both Guentzel and Smith will be on the move from Pittsburgh. Though Guentzel loves Pittsburgh and has the utmost respect for Sidney Crosby, it's probably time -- especially considering the road ahead for the Penguins to be top contenders again. Guentzel is already skating and it sounds like he'll be good to go on March 10 when he's eligible to come off LTIR. I don't think anyone has matched the Penguins high asking price for Guentzel (two first-round picks, or the equivalent) but it sounds like several teams are circling, including Edmonton, Colorado, Detroit, Carolina, Vegas and Florida.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

THE EXPECTATION AROUND the league is that both Guentzel and Smith will be on the move from Pittsburgh. Though Guentzel loves Pittsburgh and has the utmost respect for Sidney Crosby, it's probably time -- especially considering the road ahead for the Penguins to be top contenders again. Guentzel is already skating and it sounds like he'll be good to go on March 10 when he's eligible to come off LTIR. I don't think anyone has matched the Penguins high asking price for Guentzel (two first-round picks, or the equivalent) but it sounds like several teams are circling, including Edmonton, Colorado, Detroit, Carolina, Vegas and Florida.

Carolina and Detroit should have good prospect pools, no?

Reactions: Andy99

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

With this many teams interested and Jake being by far the best forward available, I think someone will pay up.

Best case scenario is that teams that miss out on Guentzel panic and then overpay for Smith

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'm sure Dubas is adamant that this team needs to not finish bottom-10. The 1st we give the Sharks for Karlsson needs to happen this year because of we go below bottom-10 then effectively next year we can give them an unprotected 1st in 2025.

With this in mind, I think Dubas will probably sell Guentzel for assets, but not picks. He's gonna want young players who can play now so that this team can at least make a playoff push.
No, IMO you tank the season and get a top 10 this year. They're currently in 23rd so they'd get the #10 pick depending on the lottery.

You take the pick and use the cap space with the 4M bump, Carter off the books, Jake off the books, Smith off the books and Ned off the books to actually re-build the roster.

Also, the worse they do this season, the more likely that Sully will get fired.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh

Nothing new there at all, just regurgitating what everyone else is already saying and has been saying for a while.

Even if the Pens finish out 0-4 before TDL day Doobie isn't likely to (be allowed to) move Jake. And every point the Pens get in those 4 games makes it even less likely. Even if he could get a nice haul in return, the deal will be interpreted by most fans as punting on this season, then heeeeeere come the empty seats @ PPG. FSG surely can't allow that.

Dumping Reilly Smith, OTOH.... that should be a no-brainer and hopefully yields at least a #2 pick like Granlund did at the last TDL. Too bad Ronnie Hextall isn't a GM somewhere right now.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Roenick has no sources but I'll take any hopium I can get. Get this bum out of here.
I hope this isn't true. If it were, it took some of these dumb players 6+ years to only now start to lose faith? Maybe he will turn it around after another 6 years.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Last night's loss hurt. Buffalo and the Islanders did us a favor (if you look at the wild card, not the division). And we could not score a bloody goal. Wasted an otherwise solid performance.

I think Dubas has to move out players now. Not Guentzel, but if Smith never plays another game for the Pens that would be great. Eller has enough value now that I am sure he can be moved. Nedeljkovic has value but the goalie market is dry. Ruhwedel is a right D and everybody wants one.

I would be satisfied if we could move out those four players before the deadline. Then reassess in the off-season. I am resigned to the fact we are going to have to navigate without the benefit of a head-coaching change. Perhaps we can change up the rest of the staff? That would be something, at least.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

Last night's loss hurt. Buffalo and the Islanders did us a favor (if you look at the wild card, not the division). And we could not score a bloody goal. Wasted an otherwise solid performance.

I think Dubas has to move out players now. Not Guentzel, but if Smith never plays another game for the Pens that would be great. Eller has enough value now that I am sure he can be moved. Nedeljkovic has value but the goalie market is dry. Ruhwedel is a right D and everybody wants one.

I would be satisfied if we could move out those four players before the deadline. Then reassess in the off-season. I am resigned to the fact we are going to have to navigate without the benefit of a head-coaching change. Perhaps we can change up the rest of the staff? That would be something, at least.
You mean we shouldn't trade Jake? Or not just yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad